Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > will Tiger need 128MB of video RAM?

will Tiger need 128MB of video RAM?
malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 02:39 PM

Hey, I am just thinking about buying a new g5 dual 1.8ghz.

It has a geforce ultra 64MB video card, but one can change to Radeon 9600 XT... I am not into 3d games, so does it make any sense to buy the more expensive card (+60�/$) to have more fun with Tiger's CORE?

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by malique:

It has a geforce ultra 64MB video card, but one can change to Radeon 9600 XT... I am not into 3d games, so does it make any sense to buy the more expensive card (+60�/$) to have more fun with Tiger's CORE?
Tiger will not need 128 megs of RAM but I would take that plunge, man. The Geforce cards that Apple puts in their machines are notoriously weak. While Tiger will fly on any G5 that it touches, that 9600 XT will really make your experience a lot nicer.

I often feel that I am ahead of Panther, and I just wish it could keep up with me in the GUI. What I've seen of Tiger gets me very excited, I find myself moving very quickly through the GUI.

Get that upgrade, Tiger is really going to do some cool stuff that is really going to allow developers to run with some cool technology. See the Graphics and Media State of the Union for more information about the importance of a powerful video card in Tiger:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/whatson/appleevents/
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2004, 03:03 PM

To actually answer your question, the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra that comes with the G5 will work with CoreImage just fine. The only reason to upgrade is if you need higher performance.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Busemann
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 03:19 PM

The 50$ will be well spent, as the GeFrorce is really slow. Considering the 9600XT is fan-less as well, it's a no-brainer to upgrade.

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
The 50$ will be well spent, as the GeFrorce is really slow. Considering the 9600XT is fan-less as well, it's a no-brainer to upgrade.
Is it fanless?! How silent are both of the cards?

different scenario:

I have an offer for refurbished mac which exactly suits my needs but they won't take the GeForce out. Does it make sense to wait till tiger and eventually buy a 128 card then?

Will there be enuff cards in the market from people to upgrade?

For my g4/400 it was (voice of Dr Cox hhhhhhextremely difficult to find a QE card for a reasonable price to replace my Rage 128 Pro (which none would buy...)

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 03:35 PM

It's not a big problem if you do end up getting the 64 MB GeForce 5200. Generally, though, the graphical effects (like Expos�) run more smoothly with 128 MB of VRAM. It seems like Tiger is going to rely even more on that sort of thing, so I'd upgrade if possible, but don't sweat it if you can't.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

booboo
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 06:35 PM

You'll recoup the expense with the savings on your electricity bills! The Radeon has a much lower power consumption than the nVidia.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 07:16 PM

While 128 MB isn't required for any of the technologies in Tiger, it is recommended for Quartz 2D Extreme.

Rodster
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2004, 08:30 PM

I recently purchased a G4 eMac 1.25ghz with stock Ram. How do you think Tiger will run on my current rig?

Thanks !

piracy
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Rodster:
I recently purchased a G4 eMac 1.25ghz with stock Ram. How do you think Tiger will run on my current rig?
Fine.

But get more RAM. RAM's cheap. 512 would be a nice amount, but *adding* 512 to get you to 768 (assuming you started out with 256) would be an even better idea.

Mac OS X loves RAM. But there's no reason to expect Tiger to perform "worse" than Panther on your eMac. If anything, it will be better.

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
Fine.

But get more RAM. RAM's cheap. 512 would be a nice amount, but *adding* 512 to get you to 768 (assuming you started out with 256) would be an even better idea.

Mac OS X loves RAM. But there's no reason to expect Tiger to perform "worse" than Panther on your eMac. If anything, it will be better.
Yeah, I think most people are getting the wrong idea of on OS upgrade. It shouldn't insist on higher system requirements and make your current machine run slower, Tiger should be offering a speedier experience for any Mac computer that shipped with OSX in the begining. If you have an older OS9 Mac then don't expect a great experience.
The extras like Core Audio and Core Image and Video are just extras and depending on what type of user you are is the type of machine you will use these features for. But normal OS operations should show a speed increase like Panther did.
Anyone else with a rebuttle as to why Apple requires a better graphics card to use all of Tigers new features just rememeber that Apple is not requiring users to upgrade to Tiger, it's your choice.
( Last edited by hldan; Nov 28, 2004 at 10:06 PM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

jocker
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2004, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Thinine:
While 128 MB isn't required for any of the technologies in Tiger, it is recommended for Quartz 2D Extreme.
Are you sure? Where did you get this information from. I've just bought a new imac g5, I won't be happy if this is the case.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by jocker:
Are you sure? Where did you get this information from. I've just bought a new imac g5, I won't be happy if this is the case.
I'm pretty sure he made it up. The recommended amount of video RAM for Quartz Extreme is 32 MB, and the minimum is 16 MB. 64 MB will do just fine.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2004, 01:08 PM

Fine, I ordered today :-D

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
I'm pretty sure he made it up. The recommended amount of video RAM for Quartz Extreme is 32 MB, and the minimum is 16 MB. 64 MB will do just fine.
Quartz 2D Extreme is not Quartz Extreme. However, Apple hasn't posted any public info about Quartz 2D Extreme.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
Quartz 2D Extreme is not Quartz Extreme. However, Apple hasn't posted any public info about Quartz 2D Extreme.
So where did the 128 MB recommendation come from?

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2004, 07:27 PM

Inquireing minds want to know. And what is the difference between Quartz Extreme and Quartz 2D extreme? And why would 2D need more than (assuming) 3D?
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
And what is the difference between Quartz Extreme and Quartz 2D extreme?
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...55#post2249197
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2004, 07:53 PM

cool, thanks. But I still don't see what we'll need 128MB vram for...
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2004, 07:59 PM

I hadn't heard the 128 MB requirement until this thread. I am curious where it comes from. I didn't think Apple had released specs for Quartz 2D Extreme yet.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2004, 09:34 PM

With my Dual g5 1.8 � will there be this nice software I read about, that moves my user over to the new HDs?

I accidentally deleted the localized GERMAN files from all the OS so my osx is now partially in english (hmpf).

I'd like to correct that when I move over and not bringt "damaged" OS X files to the g5.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 02:47 PM

I agree that whoever it was probably made it up. Certainly nothing in Apple's Graphics State of the Union indicated anything like that.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2004, 02:59 PM

I think it's pretty safe to say that since no currently available machine from Apple other than the $3000 dual 2.5 G5 ships with 128 MB of VRAM, Tiger will not require 128 MB of VRAM.

Aranamac
Dec 1, 2004, 05:52 PM

For my g4/400 it was (voice of Dr Cox hhhhhhextremely difficult to find a QE card for a reasonable price to replace my Rage 128 Pro (which none would buy...) [/B]
I have a G4/400 Gigabit Ethernet machine and recently put an ATI Radeon 9000 w/ 128 mb in it. Quartz Extreme runs quite nicely now. That Rage 128 Pro is now boxed away... sadly, there's no resale value in that card.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 06:16 PM

I think it's pretty safe to say that since no currently available machine from Apple other than the $3000 dual 2.5 G5 ships with 128 MB of VRAM, Tiger will not require 128 MB of VRAM.
My Powerbook shipped with 128 MB of VRAM.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2004, 08:08 PM

My 15" PBook came with 128 VRAM.

aehaas

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2004, 08:39 PM

That's odd, because at the Apple Store, it seems that all the PowerBook models come with 64 MB of VRAM. The only way to get 128 MB is via a build-to-order option, unless I'm missing something, and even the BTO option is only available for the $2500 machines and up.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 08:44 PM

That's odd, because at the Apple Store, it seems that all the PowerBook models come with 64 MB of VRAM. The only way to get 128 MB is via a build-to-order option, unless I'm missing something, and even the BTO option is only available for the $2500 machines and up.
A "BTO" Powerbook still has to be shipped. Therefore, it is a shipping Powerbook with 128 VRAM.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules