Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hard Drives Suddenly Died Together!!

Hard Drives Suddenly Died Together!!
nine11always
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2002, 08:42 PM

Okay, here's the problem:
Yesterday, I awoke my computer from its sleep and found OSX completely unresponsive. So, I restarted and the HD made a repeated, clicking sound about once per second.

I shut the computer down, waited a couple of minutes and then turned the unit on. After a couple of minutes of searching for a system, it began to restart under OS9.2.2 (slave drive-60GB deskstar). I was relieved.

I ran Disk first Aid to try to fix the OSX drive, but shortly thereafter it said it couldn't locate the OS9 drive as well. Then of course, all the graphics went haywire and now I'm unable to boot to either drive.

I restarted from a system disk, but it shows no drives on the desktop. Disk First Aid doesn't even show drives in it's search!!

So, do you think it's an electrical problem (batterey, etc.) since BOTH drives seemed to fail in unison? Any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated � many thanks in advance.

-F. Montes
B&W G3/450/1GB, Radeon Mac Edition,
Main (Factory) Drive: 12GB OS10.1
Slave: IBM Deskstar 60GB 7200rpm

saxman
Oct 9, 2002, 04:07 AM

Hi there

Not too sure on this one, but my guess is either power problem (DC bus) or a failure of the IDE bus. (I'm assuming your IBM drive is on the internal IDE bus)

However, if your CD drive still works (does it?) then they must both be OK. If so, then maybe you are simply looking at a stuffed battery. It's funny how a faulty battery can make such a mess of things sometimes. Worth a look I guess.

Cheers
Scotty
NZ

Classic 4/40
LC575 36/330
PB 5300c 64/750
PB 1400c 32/1GB
PM 5500/250 AIO 128/4 "blackmac"
iMac original G3 233 288/6
Power Mac G4 400 768/10+18
iMac G5 2.0 17" 1GB/180GB

I told my Dad that I wanted to be a musician when I grew up, and he said "Son, you can't have it both ways."

reader50
Administrator
Oct 9, 2002, 04:29 AM

Try disconnecting one of the drives from the IDE cable, then booting. Note, this will cause your Mac to take a longer time to boot up, it will look for the "missing" drive for about a minute before giving up and moving on with the boot.

It is possible that one of your drives has gone south, and is corrupting signals on the IDE cable. That would make talking to the other drive unreliable. I'd try disconnecting the factory 12 GB first, since it is the older drive.

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2002, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by saxman:
Hi there

Not too sure on this one, but my guess is either power problem (DC bus) or a failure of the IDE bus. (I'm assuming your IBM drive is on the internal IDE bus)

However, if your CD drive still works (does it?) then they must both be OK. If so, then maybe you are simply looking at a stuffed battery. It's funny how a faulty battery can make such a mess of things sometimes. Worth a look I guess.

Cheers
The CD bus is seperate. Put the OS9 HD on the CD bus, as master, with nothing else.

nine11always  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2002, 08:29 PM

Thanks to all of you who posted on my topic. Reader 50 hit it on the head.

It turns out the old 12gb Maxtor drive failed, causing the other drive (IBM) to malfunction. Luckily I only use that drive (which had OSX) for the web and a few games.

Looks like I get to by a 90gb drive as a replacement!!!!

Thanks again

Forum Links
Forum Rules