Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Losing files on the desktop?

Losing files on the desktop?
Buck_W
Senior User
Nov 3, 2002, 09:11 AM

Sometimes when I download a file on to the desktop and it is unstuffed, the files are no where to be seen or found.

File - Find shows them to be on the desktop, but unless I drag them into another folder (out of the finder), I can't see them on the desktop anywhere.

It doesn't happen on all files, just a few such as compressed files containing icons or desktop pictures, etc.

Solutions?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2002, 09:19 AM

I had this problem with the Stuffit 7.0 update. I must have downloaded it half a dozen times before I realized the file was being unstuffed outside of the visual area of my monitor. I fixed it by using View>Clean Up and then Show View Options>Snap to Grid.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2002, 09:39 AM

Desktop items being shoved off the monitor space is a bug that Apple really should get on fixing. That happens to me occasionally, too. The best workaround at this point is to just open a finder window and look at your desktop folder in column view.

cv

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Technicolor:
I had this problem with the Stuffit 7.0 update. I must have downloaded it half a dozen times before I realized the file was being unstuffed outside of the visual area of my monitor. I fixed it by using View>Clean Up and then Show View Options>Snap to Grid.
I had this recently too - it's a new problem that got introduced with the latest (7.0.1) Stuffit Expander release.

Very odd and annoying.
cpac

malvolio
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2002, 01:56 PM

I avoid all problems of this nature by creating folder called Downloads, and using it as the destination for all downloads from any program. Saves me from ever having to hunt around.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2002, 04:09 PM

Yes, this does suck... Apple is sure to fix it at some point in time...

Just do a "View" -> "Clean Up" from the Finder and it should show up...

kybernaut
Nov 3, 2002, 05:54 PM

It's quite annoying. But there is even a simpler workaround. After downloading a file to your desktop just one-click on any item (HD icon, file...). Then the new file appears. Magic...

I think it has to do with refreshing the desktop view...

kybernaut

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by kybernaut:
It's quite annoying. But there is even a simpler workaround. After downloading a file to your desktop just one-click on any item (HD icon, file...). Then the new file appears. Magic...

I think it has to do with refreshing the desktop view...

kybernaut
I'm quite familiar with this phenomenon - of the desktop view not refreshing. BUT the problem with stuffit expanded files is fundamentally different: even after doing things that normally refresh the desktop (clicking on it, clicking on items on the desktop, dragging items on the desktop, &c.) the files do not show up. I'll have to try the "clean up" command as (if as it seems the files are being drawer of the viewable area of the screen) that might make things somewhat better.
cpac

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2002, 08:15 PM

yah, this isn't a desktop refresh issue... I know all about the double click on the desktop trick, but it doesn't work with this.

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2002, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Yes, this does suck... Apple is sure to fix it at some point in time...
Maybe it will be one of the new feature's we'll be paying less than a dollar for in 10.4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules