Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G4 9.2 Clean Install?!? Help!

New G4 9.2 Clean Install?!? Help!
ecrelin
Dec 13, 2002, 12:13 PM

Some goon who originally set up a client's mirror doored G4 mounted an external hard drive and drag copied a bunch of crap into the 9.2 system and screwed it all up. Unfortunately my client is not ready to move up and still wants to run 9.2 (until Quark and some other silly utilities are X compatible, I'm already blue in the face and they won't budge). I had to reinstall 10.2 which he messed up, it wouldn't boot and now while I am trying to procure the root password he used (he never told the client) so I can boot into Software Retore I'm worried it will not give me the option of a clean install, does any body know? Am I better off copying things off, reformatting on reinstall and starting over? Will the 9.2.2 installer run on these machines if I butch together a "blessed" startup CD? Any info would be helpful (as a 9.2 startup disk from Apple would be, its not Jan 1 yet is it? ) thanks�

BobW
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2002, 12:48 PM

You can reset the password booting off the OS X CD.

You can reformat and just install 9.

ecrelin  (op)
Dec 13, 2002, 01:18 PM

BobW, what 9.2 disk do you have that boots a mirrored door G4 to just install 9, none comes with it and none of my other older 9.2 disks work? I am going to be moving them to X soon and want to keep it on there, I will try to reset the password but I still wanted to know if the Software Restore allows for a clean install for 9.2 like the older systems. I don't have the disks with me and my machine is several versions older and it came with a separate 9.2 boot disk which works like all the others. Thanks

one
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2002, 12:04 AM

The Software Restore disks that came w/ the machine: All the OS 9 disks on the market are older than the MDD PMs, and so won't work w/ them (no enablers / machine-specific bits).

Just restore it - the restore app is on disk #1: run it, & away you'll go.
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

ecrelin  (op)
Dec 14, 2002, 12:29 PM

OK first thank you guys very much for responding. But, I really wanted to know one thing. CAN YOU PERFORM A CLEAN INSTALL WITH THE RECOVERY DISK OR IS IT A TOTAL OVERWRITE LIKE MOST STUPID RECOVERY DISKS?????
I want to know because the client is a fair distance away and I want to be prepared when I take the ride over there. When clients have ooodles of third party extensions that they use from years past, and lord knows if they have disks for them, a total overwrite blows them all away. I know I can make a "blessed" startup CD, whether the standard OS 9 installer will run off it is a question. I guess I'll just copy the extensions into another folder and try the restore, I just thought someone here would have a quick answer or know of a source for 9.2 startup CDs for these machines.

n5tkn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 01:37 AM

Can a G4 (this is a G4 450 Mhz) be booted from an OS 9.2 disk? I can't get mine too at all. I wanted to install them on seperate partitions (X and 9). Is this not possible?

ecrelin  (op)
Dec 17, 2002, 01:07 PM

This has to be older than the new Mirrored Door G4 which are all dual processors and way faster than 450 Mhz, and the ones I'm having problems with. If it is then yes it can be, booted from an OS 9 disk just make sure the disk is as new or newer than the machine. Don't you have the original disks that came with the machine? There should be one there that will work. It just gets worse as they get newer.

Originally posted by n5tkn:
Can a G4 (this is a G4 450 Mhz) be booted from an OS 9.2 disk? I can't get mine too at all. I wanted to install them on seperate partitions (X and 9). Is this not possible?

Forum Links
Forum Rules