Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hard drive "beep"

Hard drive "beep"
jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2003, 12:52 PM

The hard drive on my iBook "beeps" a couple of times/week. It's about a second or two long and high pitched. It always makes a clunk sound after this, and other than that it seems fine. Is this normal? I've been backing up just in case.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2003, 06:17 AM

To me, that kinda sounds like the optical drive (CD/DVD/Combo). Do you you have a disc in the drive? If not, have you noticed any similar sounds when a disc is in the drive.

The only beeps I've heard are from my Combo drive which makes a kinda beeping sound when a disc is inside and it first starts to read it. After a while, it will make a clunking sound (I'm guessing this is when it's parking/stopping something after it has finished reading.)

I might be wrong, but I thought I'd add my experience.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 12:41 PM

I support the CD/DVD-player theory!
Doesn't bother me but it makes you wonder...
Why?
DI

kybernaut
Mar 18, 2003, 02:03 PM

Depends on how you define "beep"... If it sounds like an alert beep it's definatly a bad sign. I head those beeps along with strange clicking before my IBM Travelstar 15GN died a few weeks later.

Try running Hardware Test CD.

kybernaut

jtc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2003, 02:54 PM

It's definitely not the optical drive. It clearly comes from the left side. It's high-pitched (almost a screech) and happens when the speakers are muted (so it's not an alert sound). It long enough that I have time to put my ear close the keyboard so I can hear where exactly it's coming from. The iBook freezes up during the beep, then resumes after the clunk noise. I used to think it was to drive heads resetting - my desktop at work does something similar. Occasionally during reads/writes, one of the drives emits a very short "beep" which is, I think, the actuator hitting the voice coil. It has always done this, so I'm not worried about it.
The iBook however just started a couple of months ago, and has been getting worse. At first I thought it was the same thing, but the beep is much longer and it worries me that it's getting more frequent. As I said I've been backing up regularly. My one year warrantee is almost up, so if it's a problem I want to get it taken care of.

mqa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 04:23 PM

Mine just started doing this this morning, and now I am getting really paranoid. I dont have anyway to back up 30GB of data! Also thsi is definately not the combo drive beep which I have heard before.

kybernaut
Mar 19, 2003, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by jtc:
...and happens when the speakers are muted (so it's not an alert sound).
Mine didn't came from the speakers either but from the inside of the computer!

xtal
Senior User
Mar 19, 2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by mqa:
Mine just started doing this this morning, and now I am getting really paranoid. I dont have anyway to back up 30GB of data!
How can I put this?

It is vital that everyone has a method to back up important data. Personally, I'm not so concerned about the OS, my prefs, or my music, but I have certain documents I would hate to lose. So, I back up to the network at work, as well as burn a CD periodically. Firewire hard drives are dropping in price. Heck, you could even get an enclosure and slap a notebook drive in there. It shouldn't run you more than $150 or so.

A bit of a tangent, but a necessary one.

Backup your data! Any way possible!

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules