Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook CPU Announced

New iBook CPU Announced
bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2003, 11:48 AM

To put all your G4 iBook speculations to rest IBM "G3" hits 1.1GHz, has 1MB L2 cache

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 01:42 PM

Just to play devils advocate, there is no word that it will ever see service in the iBooks...

Yes it is an evolution of the 750FX, but with a much more embedded slant...

The announcement tells us nothing about future use, and in no way mentions the iBook...

I really think that now the G5 is out, the iBook will be 'liberated' with G4s.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2003, 04:05 PM

Not until the G5 comes into the PowerBooks will the iBook get a G4.

Apple was able to have the same chip in both the Pismo and Clamshell at the same because the G3 was flexible enough to span accross the entire product line. And by that I mean it was possible to create a measureable performance gap between the consumer and professional machines with the same processor.

It cannot be done this time because architectually, the current current Ti and AlBooks are about 18 months behind the curve, and barely better than the iBooks even though the iBooks are based around the G3. Putting a G4 in the iBook now would only ensure the killing of high end PowerBook sales because most people would see that the performance difference was negligable.

The G4 would need to come into the PowerBooks at higher than 1.3GHz at the same time that a G4 of anything speed went into the iBooks to ensure sufficent diversification, unless a significant architecual overhaul is made to the PowerBook, and it is extrodinarily unlikely that the PowerBooks will get that architectual overhaul while still being based around the G4.

But to my point, the G4 is pretty much dead and just because Motorola says they are rushing newer revisions doesnt mean anything, they lie all the time. Motorola has a much more trippy RDF surrounding them than Apple ever will.

The mobile G4 is stuck at 1.3GHz and there is no real sign that it is going any further.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Jul 1, 2003 at 04:13 PM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 07:29 PM

It's very likely we'll see this chip in an upcoming iBook rev, but that's still just pure speculation at this point.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 11:33 PM

IBM's roadmap for the 750FX/750GX (G3) is what Apple needs for the iBook. It's a better road map than Motorola's for the G4, and what's more important is the fact that IBM is able to deliver on their roadmap. IBM expects the G3 (750 FX/GX) to scale to 2 GHz/200 MHz system bus. I'm willing to bet that iBook users do more than just email, web browse and ocassional word processing. Every iBook ships with iMovie, which is a very processor intensive application. I use iMovie3, iPhoto, iTunes 4, iChat (soon iChatAV) MS Office X, play games and develop a website besides using various browsers and email. The iBook needs to grow in performance while remaining inexpensive, and a 1.1 GHz/1MB level 2 cache, 200 MHz system bus iBook G3 fits the bill. Don't look for a G4 in an iBook. The G4 will not scale quickly enough. G4 processor updates are few and far between, and Apple needs to shake itself loose from stagnant or slow at best performance growth.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 11:34 PM

The G4 is/was a great processor, but it has held back the PowerMac line until now, and is holding back the PowerBook line.
That said, I would expect a major architecture revision for the PowerBook. Apple needs to stay ahead with its flagship models. 167Mhz system bus G4 will not do this. PowerBook G5 1.2Ghz with a 600 MHz FSB will. The G5 costs less than the G4, so Apple can make the PowerBooks price competitive as well.
If PowerBooks remain G4 (bad idea IMHO) but at 1.2 or 1.4GHz, then a 1.1 GHz iBook shouldn't take away too many PowerBook sales, where it's design and features set it firmly beyond the iBook.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

hart
Senior User
Jul 6, 2003, 10:23 AM

the powerbook forum is all in a tizzy because resellers' stock has been largely showing "7-10 days" for availablity on new models for quite a while leading them to believe new models are on the way.

I just glanced at ibooks at Small Dog and they're showing the same thing for most new ibook models.

I certainly hope that this means something is happening next week at CreativePro as my keylime ibook is creaking along. I don't want to upgrade,powerbook or ibook, until the Next Big Thing appears, whether faster G4s or G5s or whatever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules