Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Japanese input with Eudora

Japanese input with Eudora
dklaproth
Dec 2, 1999, 02:02 AM

I'm having trouble using the direct input from the JLK (from OS9) in Eudora Pro 4.2.2 (English version).

Input disappears or often changes completely. I'm not typing Kanji. I'm only typing Kana.

I've contacted Eudora by e-mail a few times now, but haven't got a response. I don't read Kanji, but do use kana.

Can anyone recommend setting changes or a work around?

Thanks for the help.

Hylton Coxwell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 1999, 06:58 PM

I've never had any luck using the english version of Eudora with JLK. The only thing that works is to find a japanese verson of Eudora or just use the J version of Netscape Communicator.

I also found that the english version of Eudora will mangle incoming japanese email, sometimes to the point that they're completely unreadable.

ToroGuro
Dec 2, 1999, 07:59 PM

As Hylton Coxwell says, Netscape Communicator works great with Japanese.
You don't need to use the Japanese version of Netscape Communicator for Japanese, tho.
I'm using Mac OS 8.6 and JLK, and Netscape Messenger (English version) works great with Japanese.

Regarding Eudora, I, too, experienced the same problem with Japanese.
You'll need the Japanese version if you really need to use Japanese.

toloczko
Dec 4, 1999, 10:40 PM

JLK and Eudora 4.2.2 work fine together, but there are several things that need to be done to make it work.

1 - You need to select a Japanese font for the Eudora screen font and fixed width font. This is accomplished in the Eudora "Fonts & Display" dialog in the "Settings..." option of the "Special" menu.

2 - You need to install a Japanese language plugin in Eudora. I have been using "Japanese Plugin 1.1" by Hide Itoh. You should be able to find it in the info-mac archive.

3 - Optionally, you may want to install another plugin called "Mojibake Fixer". Kana will not display properly in the subject field of an email message. If you receive an email message with Kana in the subject field, this plugin will read the subject field and display the Kana at the beginning of the body.

Forum Links
Forum Rules