Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The Panther UP-TO-DATE CD IS full version

The Panther UP-TO-DATE CD IS full version
MacsGalor
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 04:25 PM

OK, I wasn't sure if it was the full install and I want that option so I called Apple and asked they first guy I talked to said "I think you need 10.2". So I transfered over to cancel my order, before I did I asked the new person one more time and she said very confidently "It is the FULL INSTALL" So I will keep my $20 up-to-date CD!

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 04:26 PM

and you had to make a new topic why?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

BigYellowMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 05:33 PM

Because it makes it so that people are much more likely to notice it, and therefore much LESS likely to drop an extra $130 on panther if they can get an up-to-date cd instead. Well, an extra $110, cause the upgrade discs cost $20 (i believe).

-Biggie!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by BigYellowMonkey:
Because it makes it so that people are much more likely to notice it, and therefore much LESS likely to drop an extra $130 on panther if they can get an up-to-date cd instead. Well, an extra $110, cause the upgrade discs cost $20 (i believe).

-Biggie!
Sorry, I read the other thread, now know where you are coming from.

sorry

-Owl

MacsGalor  (op)
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 09:22 PM

That was what I was thinking. Just attempting to help as many people as possible

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 09:27 PM

Yes, the up-to-date (or upgrade) CDs are full installers. They always were. They just required you to have the earlier version installed on your hard drive, just as this one likely will too.

This DOES NOT MEAN that you can't do a clean install, as everyone seems to think. The option exists to completely format your hard drive and reinstall, as well as doing an archive and reinstall or upgrade, just like the full installer. The only difference is that the $20 CDs will check to see that you own ann earlier version of the operating system, and the way it does that is to see it installed on the system.

The only thing you can't do with the upgrade CD that you can with the full retail version is erase your hard drive before starting up from the installer CD. Again, as noted above, once the installer CD has verified that you own an earlier version of Mac OS X, it WILL LET YOU COMPLETELY ERASE THE DRIVE before installing 10.3.

Hope this clears things up.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 10:50 PM

Looks like I am paying the full $130 I do not want to deal with having to install jaguar first. it's not worth the hassle. WHy not just ask ti insert the Jaguar CD? problem solved.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

keywest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 10:53 PM

For those of us who aren't clear on this, could you explain the "Up To Date" CD vs. the $129 version?

Thanks.
PowerBook 185c, iBook Clamshell, iBook 500, Power Mac G4 Dual 867

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
WHy not just ask ti insert the Jaguar CD? problem solved.
Stop boasting, we know you have two optical drives.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Stop boasting, we know you have two optical drives.
You USED to be able to store everything in RAM so you could run applications and save your documents with just one 800 kb floppy drive and no hard drive. It would be kinda cool to be able to write stuff to the hard drive temporarily so you could eject the CD and put in your Jaguar CD.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

hysterion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
The only difference is that the $20 CDs will check to see that you own ann earlier version of the operating system, and the way it does that is to see it installed on the system.

The only thing you can't do with the upgrade CD that you can with the full retail version is erase your hard drive before starting up from the installer CD. Again, as noted above, once the installer CD has verified that you own an earlier version of Mac OS X, it WILL LET YOU COMPLETELY ERASE THE DRIVE before installing 10.3.
Thanks for this info, this is very helpful.

BUT: will it let me partition the drive before installing? I just asked the same question on Apple's board (here, no reply yet), because that's exactly what I want to do.

BigYellowMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 11:06 AM

Yes, you sure can partition and install from an update CD.

Boot up from the update CD. Go through all the screens in the Installer until you get to the point where you need to select a destination. Then, go to the "Installer" menu, and open Disk Utility. Go ahead and format or partition your drive however you want, and then quit Disk Utility. It will then pop back into Installer at the point where you left off. Choose your disk, customize your install, and then go for it. The installer just has to recognize that there is a previous version of OS X installed before it will allow you to install anywhere. You probably don't even have to click all the way to the Select Destination screen, as it probably verifies before that, but this is just to be safe. Cause no one likes experimenting with OS installs.

-Biggie!

hysterion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. Ergo, I just put in my order...

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 02:47 PM

This is good news to me, and makes my e-penis size ++.

MacsGalor  (op)
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 07:11 PM

I am just replying again to put this back on the first page as people are starting new ones about the same thing.

andresskl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 08:15 PM

Hi, i wonder if 7B85 is the latest Panther version available, and if it's gonna be, in fact, the version being shipped on Oct.24th...

(yes, this is my first post!)

Thanks.
Andres

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by andresskl:
Hi, i wonder if 7B85 is the latest Panther version available, and if it's gonna be, in fact, the version being shipped on Oct.24th...
Oh lord, you just HAD to go and ask that question now didn't you!
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2003, 10:05 PM

(yes, this is my first post!)

...and might be your last.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
...and might be your last.

Nice Sig...
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2003, 04:07 AM

I'm wondering about the Up-to-date CD for Panther? What about the dev tools? What about the dev tools from Jaguar; will they work with Panther?

There are useful things that require them to be installed. But since I qualify for the $20 Panther update, I'll probably not get a dev tools CD. So, what can I do?

- continue to use the dev tools that came on CD together with Jaguar?

- download the Panther dev tools from an Apple website? Yuk. Will probably take hours...

- pay the full $129 for the entire Panther CD set just to get the (actually free) dev tools? Don't like that idea too.

So, can I use Jaguar dev tools with Panther?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2003, 12:56 PM

You'll find out when you open your Panther retail box, wont you? Unless you plan on warez'ing 7B85 off Hotline or some place...

andresskl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 06:05 PM

Of course i shall buy it! who do you think i am?

best.
a.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
I'm wondering about the Up-to-date CD for Panther? What about the dev tools? What about the dev tools from Jaguar; will they work with Panther?

No, the Jaguar Developer Tools won't work under Panther. They may run, but whatever you make will probably not run well (or at all).

The Up to date CD set might contain the developer tools. You could also go to your nearest Apple store and they will let you download and burn the tools onto a CD (I think). You can also buy the latest developer tools from the Developer site for (surprise) $20

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 12:07 AM

What!?!? No more free download for the dev tools???

coolmacdude
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Yes, the up-to-date (or upgrade) CDs are full installers. They always were. They just required you to have the earlier version installed on your hard drive, just as this one likely will too.

This DOES NOT MEAN that you can't do a clean install, as everyone seems to think. The option exists to completely format your hard drive and reinstall, as well as doing an archive and reinstall or upgrade, just like the full installer. The only difference is that the $20 CDs will check to see that you own ann earlier version of the operating system, and the way it does that is to see it installed on the system.

Hope this clears things up.
This was not the case with my Jag up to date CD. I started up from it, wiped the drive from the installers menu and then attempted to install. I got an error saying installation could not proceed because there was no OS X system on the drive. I had to break out my 10.1 cd, reinstall that again, and then do the upgrade.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules