Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Using the internal pbook12 mic to take notes?

Using the internal pbook12 mic to take notes?
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 02:47 AM

How can i/ what do i need to

a. record audio of a lecture in class.
b. where can i find it.

thanks .. i just sat in class today and realize it may be possible to use the internal mic. any details appreciated

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 03:01 AM

head over to macupdate.com and search for record. There are many apps that say they can do what you want. If I wasn't on a modem (and had a mic) I would try some out as I also need a simple recording app.

I just downloaded Audio In, seems like it may work for both of us.

Good Luck.

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 03:17 AM

my gripe, one occaision, they produce a very nasty screeching sound. is it the powerbook's electric current bothering it? or something else. the sound is recorded softly, making me worry about it catching a quiet professor's lecture. the screeching is audible, somethimes becoming quite loud. i think a professor as well as the rest of the class would smack me upside the head if i used this. damn ... what to do what to do...

RageAPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 07:18 AM

That nasty screeching sound could be due to feedback from the sound looping from the speakers back into the mic. If you mute your sound, you mic will still record at the volume that you have set in system preferences and it should get rid of the nasty sound.

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2004, 02:23 AM

i alreaady deleted those programs ... i think i tried lowering the volume first, and sometimes a few incremental steps would stop the screechiing .. temporarily ... then, it would happen again, and the screeching stays even when i set the volume down to nil. when that didnt help .. i am 99.99999 percent sure that i muted to speakers after that (the onboard speakers .. i hit the mute key) to no avail. there is a chance i'm wrong, but i'm almsot certain that i would have done that to turn off the screech as it was midnight and very distracting.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2004, 10:55 AM

That screech is almost 100% certainly feedback through the speakers.

Make sure you turn OFF the "play-through" or "monitor audio" function in whatever software you're using.

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules