Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > No Wireless Managed clients?!?!?!?

No Wireless Managed clients?!?!?!?
ecrelin
Oct 18, 2004, 07:30 PM

I'm in deep trouble if this is true. I have a network in a school with 20 laptops and 15 desktops. They have been using Macinstosh Manager for years and finally decided to go to OS X, they have had a G4 server for two years and I came in an upgraded all the machines to OS X 10.2 as that is all they have (they bought 10.2 for all the machines when they bought the server). Working on several desktops in the lab near the server I got it all set up with Netinfo directories, users and groups etc. It took forever to set up and works pretty well but now I went to get the laptops up and I get the error that the user's home folder is on an AFP or SMB disk and I have to see the system administrator. I checked the setup guide and it seemed to indicate that IT CAN'T BE DONE!!!!!!!! WHAT the F is this? Please tell me that this is wrong, I'm overlooking something. These are community machines, any kid could get any one any day. There is no way to have a dedicated users. Please let me know if you have any ides ASAP I am supposed to have this working Wed.
Arrrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!

ecrelin  (op)
Oct 18, 2004, 09:05 PM

well the Apple boards had threads on the issue. turns out 10.2 iBook clients work perfectly, we have several new G4 iBooks with 10.3.5 and they have an apparent problem with being either, 10.3 needs a Certified domain name (not sure if that's a format or a real registered domain, LDAP needs a reverse lookup?!?), or 10.3 does not dismount the automount cleanly and deleting prefs fixes it temporarily. I think the latter would apply here as it seems to authenticate but there is some issue regarding the automount, neither are good news, maybe 10.3.6 will fix it, hope it's coming soon.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 09:58 PM

I have VERY limited experience with 10.2 server.

Here's the trick with 10.3 server: You need a fully qualified domain name set up for your server. This does not mean it has to work outside your private network. You need control over your own DNS server. All clients should be set up to access this server for DNS. Once you have forward and reverse lookups working properly, all the rest kind of just falls into place (except Kerberos, which can be a nightmare).

BTW, I do have this setup working with a 10.3 server and 10.3 clients connecting over the wireless network. Note that you would not want more than a couple of clients connecting simultaneously over any given wireless network.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

ecrelin  (op)
Oct 27, 2004, 12:00 PM

Well I messed with the server configuration and got the 10.3 clients connecting, the DNS fix in underway but not complete. The 10.2 clients cannot see the server. So I spent forever upgrading twenty machines with one set of install disks (the original is scratched so it won't dupe but it still installs, don't ask) to 10.3. They will still "lose" the Netinfo server on startup or restart. If they sleep they will reconnect 90% of the time if they have a strong signal. I am hoping the DNS fix will address this. Unless anyone else has any other ideas.

ecrelin  (op)
Nov 3, 2004, 01:12 PM

I need someone to read my zone files and tell me where I have gone wrong. I still can't get a reverse lookup. I had an Apple tech tell me that I can use the "legal" address behind NAT no problem I just have to have my internal DNS be the primary and let the internet requests "roll over" to the ISP DNS. I am not sure where the reference for the ISP name serevers should be. Right now I have them as "forwarders" in my named.conf.
Anyway Server Status says DNS is running but I have no DNS name and my zone is *
From what I've heard setting up the DNS for this should not be hard. I have all the numbers all I need is to plug them in in the right place. Any takers?
Thanks, I'm getting desparate!

Forum Links
Forum Rules