Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Recording Lectures

Recording Lectures
steve1341
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 11:47 AM

Dear All,

So i would like to record lectures on my powerbook G4 but i dont have an Ipod- Is there a way you can do this?

Using just a G4 powerbook?

Or do i need to get an ipod.

Thanks

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 12:30 PM

As long as you have a mic you can use your PB G4. I'm not sure if the TiBooks had internal mic's but I'm positive that all Aluminum G4 PB's do have an internal mic and using some sort of software, you can download lots of audio and compress them so they don't take up that much space.

Try searching in the software forum to find out which software is best for you, ie. freeware/shareware, best features, and so on.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 01:12 PM

yes, TiBooks do have an internal mic.
cpac

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 05:10 PM

I used Office 2004 to record my lectures with my Tibook.
There's "Notebook" feature in Word 2004 that has a recording function. Can choose the format and bit rate too which is nice.

Alternatively, there is software available on Version Tracker for making recordings, however I have no idea why Apple doesn't include one with the OS.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 06:14 PM

Well you can use garageband I guess.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

gbarill
Nov 24, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I'm not sure if the TiBooks had internal mic's but I'm positive that all Aluminum G4 PB's do have an internal mic

hasn't pretty much every mac had an internal mic? i don't think i've ever seen one withOUT one...
especially the powerbooks

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2004, 02:24 AM

Here's another vote to use Word 2004 notebook, I use it on my ibook every day and the quality is decent. I use midlevel quality and make no effort to sit in the front row of lectures and never have a problem. So if you already have office use and if you can get it for the EDU price its worth looking into.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2004, 02:42 AM

Only thing is, the damn clicking noise made by these machines is quite annoying when you're listening to the recording and hear the clicking really clearly.
Apple user since 1987

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2004, 06:41 AM

Wait... so my powerbook has an internal microphone... go figure Perhaps I should take a look into that thing in word... I know i've accidentally clicked it on occasion!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2004, 07:38 AM

I used word 2004 to record my lectures in class extensively about a month ago. It will embed the audio in the file. It also will put a little speaker in the left margin next to what you were typing when the professor was talking (if you know what i mean), so you can follow your notes along with the one giving the lecture. Very slick. You can also export the audio to an MP3 or AAC. Also allows you to change the encoding from mp3, aiff, even apple lossless.

-cs

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
Only thing is, the damn clicking noise made by these machines is quite annoying when you're listening to the recording and hear the clicking really clearly.
I know exactly what you mean and thats why I use the option to click when tapping on the trackpad since thats silent.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2004, 08:30 PM

No, I mean the clicking noises that the HD/CPU make. Referred to by some as "sizzling noises" (dumb). Not the trackpad clicks. Although that's a good point too!
Apple user since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules