Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > If I buy a retail AppleCare

If I buy a retail AppleCare
velodev
Senior User
Jan 27, 2005, 12:18 AM

does the date purchased get registered in the system? Say, I bought it on Monday and realizing they didn't activate it at the store and now the machine is past the due date... is the purchase registered so they (AppleCare) can look it up?

Thanks, this is bothering me because I can't contact anyone until the morning and I really want to make sure the AlBook is covered another two years.

And yes, my fault... waiting till the last minute doesn't help.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 12:29 AM

i'm not sure but i think you can buy applecare at any time and its good for two years from the day you activate it. atleast thats my understanding of it.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 12:31 AM

IIRC, it doesn't activate until you register it to a particular piece of hardware. Maybe you could get on the phone with Apple and explain the situation (and provide proof of your date of purchase of applecare).

velodev  (op)
Senior User
Jan 27, 2005, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Mafia:
i'm not sure but i think you can buy applecare at any time and its good for two years from the day you activate it. atleast thats my understanding of it.
you must buy it within one year of purchase date, in this case was tuesday.

velodev  (op)
Senior User
Jan 27, 2005, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
IIRC, it doesn't activate until you register it to a particular piece of hardware. Maybe you could get on the phone with Apple and explain the situation (and provide proof of your date of purchase of applecare).
that is my only solution, i just wanted to hear from the macnn braintrust for reassurance... before i have to plead w/ them.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by velodev:
wow i really didn't know that. i better get it for my powermac.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Mafia:
wow i really didn't know that. i better get it for my powermac.
If you do, look at These Guys. Their AppleCare prices are the lowest I've seen.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by velodev:
Don't feel bad, I've been fiddle-faddling around with purchase of my own that I need by Friday. Now my procrastinatin' @ass is going to have to pay for overnight shipping tomorrow.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2005, 01:07 AM

You have from one year from the original date of purchase of your computer to buy, and activate, AppleCare. The retail box has a card you can send in. You can also activate view the web. Your warranty is extended for an additional two years from the 1 year standard warranty.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2005, 05:09 AM

My 90 day full warranty expired last week, and I got a call from an Apple rep this morning pushing AppleCare. Didn't realize they'd started cold calling customers. She offered a discount off regular price to the same low price listed at the store posted earlier in this thread, but then it was an educational purchase, and that's the same price my university bookstore offered. I went ahead and got it -- peace of mind. I've used AppleCare to help figure out various issues, and they're very nice to you over the phone when you have it. Only had to ship once for a hardware problem, and it was back 2 days later.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2005, 07:36 AM

yup they call. A few years ago they called about my brothers powerbook when it was about to expire. Never got a call for mine or any of our other systems but I guess I didn't get those calls. Anywho, we never get apple care and have never had any problems. Lucky I guess.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2005, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
You have from one year from the original date of purchase of your computer to buy, and activate, AppleCare. The retail box has a card you can send in. You can also activate view the web. Your warranty is extended for an additional two years from the 1 year standard warranty.
Yes. So you can buy it within the time that your computer has its original 1yr warranty, and no matter when you activate it your warranty is extended to a total of 3 years from the purchase date.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2005, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Yes. So you can buy it within the time that your computer has its original 1yr warranty, and no matter when you activate it your warranty is extended to a total of 3 years from the purchase date.
That is not correct. You must not only buy, but also activate, the AppleCare, before the original manufacturer's warranty of 1 year expires. If you try to activate it after the original 1 year warranty, you've wasted the money you spent for AppleCare. I used to work for Apple, in sales and consulting, and I had one of the highest AppleCare attach rates in the country, averaging around 80%. I know the limits on when it can be purchased and activated.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2005, 12:54 PM

That is not correct. You must not only buy, but also activate, the AppleCare, before the original manufacturer's warranty of 1 year expires. If you try to activate it after the original 1 year warranty, you've wasted the money you spent for AppleCare.
Sorry, by buy I meant buy and activate. I'd assume that you would activate AppleCare as soon as you buy it, which is within the original year warranty.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2005, 01:14 PM

No problem. I always used to tell people to make sure they activate their AC when they got home, because if they put the box aside and forgot, and then needed service after the original year, they would be out of luck. I actually had a couple of people run into that issue.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2005, 03:59 PM

That is not correct. You must not only buy, but also activate, the AppleCare, before the original manufacturer's warranty of 1 year expires. If you try to activate it after the original 1 year warranty, you've wasted the money you spent for AppleCare. I used to work for Apple, in sales and consulting, and I had one of the highest AppleCare attach rates in the country, averaging around 80%. I know the limits on when it can be purchased and activated.

Nah, definitely not that way anymore at least. I bought a Ti and AppleCare summer before last, didn't bother to activate AppleCare until last month when it looked like I might need it...the rep said they do it all the time, they just make you fax in the receipt to get the start date right.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by CMYKid:
Nah, definitely not that way anymore at least. I bought a Ti and AppleCare summer before last, didn't bother to activate AppleCare until last month when it looked like I might need it...the rep said they do it all the time, they just make you fax in the receipt to get the start date right.
You got lucky. Like I said, I worked for Apple up until last year, and I still have friends who work for Apple, and the policy has not changed. I wouldn't push my luck, and I've seen people denied AC protection, because they waited too long.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2005, 07:19 PM

Don't take CMYKid's story as the regular modus operandi.

Never assume the reseller activates the warranty on anything.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Forum Links
Forum Rules