Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Deadly Form of AIDS

New Deadly Form of AIDS
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2005, 09:42 PM

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 09:44 PM

The case was diagnosed in a New Yorker in his mid-40s who reported multiple male sex partners and unprotected anal sex -- often while using the drug crystal methamphetamine.
theres your problem right there.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2005, 09:56 PM

^^ well poop, there go my plans for the evening.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2005, 10:03 PM

Okay, whatever his sexual proclivities are, that has nothing to do with the fact that this is a new deadly strain. Might I remind you that heterosexual people get the same kinds of AIDS that homosexuals do? IT SPREADS and does not discriminate.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 10:07 PM

they do? i thought it was funny that they felt it was necessary to point out that he was on methampthetamines. not his sexuality.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2005, 11:17 PM

There are a lot of foolish people out there. I'm not surprised that with the virus getting passed from person to person it would eventually mutate into something worse. Unprotected anal sex with multiple partners, plus drugs... wow he just as well could have shot himself.

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2005, 11:22 PM

It is really very difficult to cure AIDS!
-\
-/

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2005, 11:33 PM

^^^ that should totally be in CAPS.

fireside
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2005, 12:27 AM

ITS REALLY DIFFICULT TO CURE AIDS.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 12:41 AM

my friend disputes the existence of Aids over a book he read

the main idea if i remember is that HIV is the real desease, AIDs is the controvesy that drug companies use as a smokescreen to sell drugs

or something. somebody correct me please...

spatterson
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 12:56 AM

Crystal meth is a very dangerous drug... At a meeting about crystal meth in Sacramento, the state's top AIDS and HIV prevention officials came up with the smoking gun of all statistics: Gay men in California who use speed are twice as likely to be HIV- positive than gays who don't use it.

I don't know how much of the Heterosexual population use crystal meth. But I think the homosexual community uses crystal meth more.

Bottom line: Don't get caught up in that s***, protect yourself!

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by spatterson:
Crystal meth is a very dangerous drug...
On a side note, we once found a small bag of this stuff where I used to work. The scary thing is that it was a family fun center with lot of kids of all ages. Made me mad enough to spend some of my own time looking through the security footage to see if I could find anything.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2005, 02:13 AM

Now the real question is - is it taking meth that is causing the people to take part in activities (sex of any kind with multiple partners, unprotected), or is just that people who like to take part in those activities happen to be the same "type" of person who takes meth.

i.e. is this correlation (two are found together frequently) or causation (doing one causes the other).

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 02:20 AM

i think its more the people that would do meth are the same that would have unprotected sex with a bunch of diff. partners.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 02:26 AM

Hmmm... what irritates me most about AIDS is the fact that it is a virus that preys on largely a demographic that are likely to transmit it. I mean I know it's a virus it doesn't think and stuff... but largely the type of activity that it spreads in is the sort of thing that shouldn't be happening. And it pisses me off that it's not as if it's still alive like the common cold or some other disease you can get easily, but if people could just keep it in their pants and find one person to be faithful to this problem would not be near as big as it is... there's something in my mind that says, this serves our world right, but there's another part of me that realizes that this sort of loss of life because of human arrogance should never be summed up with that sort of a statement.
The worst thing is, the media, and all those people who talk about how it's so unfortunate and how we all feel so sorry for those poor people who get it, will never pipe up and say, this is spreading so quickly because humanity is being foolish. We'll promote condoms instead of sex with one person who you truly love and will be committed to. We refuse to frown on multiple partners or careless sex (I'm not just talking insanely careless sex) we refuse to teach our kids that it's not OK for boys to just be boys and screw around and be stupid... sigh...

porieux
Baninated
Feb 12, 2005, 05:02 AM

Trimeris stock closed at $13.60, up 86 cents or 6.75 percent, in composite trading on the Nasdaq, the biggest single- day percentage gain since Sept. 10, when it rose 11.49 percent, and down $4.63 from $17.93 a year ago. Roche shares traded at 123.2 Swiss Francs, up 0.5 francs, in composite trading in Zurich, down six Swiss Francs from a year ago.

The news ``is probably positive for Trimeris,'' said Sharon Seiler, a biotech analyst with New York-based Punk, Ziegel & Co., which she said owns no shares in the company, though it does act as a market maker. Fuzeon's required twice-daily injections and the need to mix the solution for 20 minutes ``have been significant impediments to the drug's sales'' in two years on the market, she said.
^^^ There's your problem right there.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Hmmm... what irritates me most about AIDS is the fact that it is a virus that preys on largely a demographic that are likely to transmit it. I mean I know it's a virus it doesn't think and stuff... but largely the type of activity that it spreads in is the sort of thing that shouldn't be happening. And it pisses me off that it's not as if it's still alive like the common cold or some other disease you can get easily, but if people could just keep it in their pants and find one person to be faithful to this problem would not be near as big as it is... there's something in my mind that says, this serves our world right, but there's another part of me that realizes that this sort of loss of life because of human arrogance should never be summed up with that sort of a statement.
The worst thing is, the media, and all those people who talk about how it's so unfortunate and how we all feel so sorry for those poor people who get it, will never pipe up and say, this is spreading so quickly because humanity is being foolish. We'll promote condoms instead of sex with one person who you truly love and will be committed to. We refuse to frown on multiple partners or careless sex (I'm not just talking insanely careless sex) we refuse to teach our kids that it's not OK for boys to just be boys and screw around and be stupid... sigh...
Just in time for spring break.
If things were kept local then things wouldn't be so bad. 1 person gets infected, then u have http://www.livescience.com/humanbiol...ex_school.html

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 07:20 AM

Ya well in the meantime there is nothing wrong with teaching kids that Condom use is a must for sex because of what can happen with out it.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 07:52 AM

Stay home, don't do drugs, stay celibate. Not much fun? More fun than dying of AIDS!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 08:03 AM

but largely the type of activity that it spreads in is the sort of thing that shouldn't be happening.
While you can argue this, that doesn't change the facts that[list=1][*]People do engage in "immoral" sexual activities, with to varying extremes. We're all human and we all have urges. Denying that is just stupid.[*]The traditional Christian idea of one person having one sexual relationship in their lifetime is outdated and does not reflect the behaviour of society.[*]Many people disagree with the traditional Christian idea that any sex outside of marriage is "immoral".[*]Once the virus gets out into a wide enough segment of the population, it becomes a risk even to those who don't necessarily practice such activities (through being mislead by their partner, transfer by non-sexual means, etc).[/list=1]You haven't been able to change human behaviour in the past 20 years. Accept that you might not be able to, and mitigate the damages as much as possible. Deny it and you'll only make the problem worse.

We'll promote condoms instead of sex with one person who you truly love and will be committed to.
Yes, because promoting sex with one person who you truly love and will be committed to and only within marriage has no effect on what kids do. I believe there was recently a damning report into abstinence-only education. Not to mention, many people would disagree with you (and are perfectly entitled to do so).

We refuse to frown on multiple partners or careless sex (I'm not just talking insanely careless sex) we refuse to teach our kids that it's not OK for boys to just be boys and screw around and be stupid... sigh...
Who refuses? A large amount of the USA frowns on it and regularly gets up and screams about how promiscuous and corrupt our society is. But apparently that's not very effective. Screaming at kids that sex is bad and they shouldn't do it isn't going to make them stop. Telling them that the only way to be safe is to abstain completely isn't going to help - they'll take the risk over not having sex.

Refusing to discuss sex is bad. Discussing it within the wider context of human relationships is good. Attempting to confine sex to marriage doesn't work, either. Telling kids that the only option is abstinence is misleading and wrong. Explaining to them the options available to them and putting them in a position to make an informed choice is the only viable course of action to take, as far as I can tell.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 08:07 AM

i think its more the people that would do meth are the same that would have unprotected sex with a bunch of diff. partners.
I agree with that. I teach our childrent that the Bible has all of the directions for living a happy and safe life. It is a "How To Live Your Life and Be Happy" book. Author? God.

I agree with that statement. Gays seem to have that predilection to have multiple partners and unsafe sex and other activities. I think that is why there is prejudice against them, to be honest. It's not that gay people are attracted to people of the same sex. It's the way they act. We don't even vacation down in Key West anymore. Seriously, if you're a family with small children and you want to go out at night, everywhere you look there are men kissing, making out, wearing black leather and make-up, you name it and you'll see it. It's not a family place at night. So, we don't go. It's too bad, because a certain segment of the population ruins it for the rest of them.

Anyway, with this new news will come the old phobias and prejudice again.

I'm not surprised it mutated either.

Many years ago I had the privilege of going to Africa with a team of research physicians. (My brother is a physician and he invited me.) We were there for three months. What they were studying was HIV infection. They actually located people who had tuberculin HIV infections and they were studying how they may have been infected. It was a village where EVERYONE was infected. Every single person. The one commonality? They all had lung infections that resembled tuberculosis. The CDC was trying to determine if HIV infection had been spread via airborne spores or methods and that was why we were there.

These diseases mutate and this is not surprising to read about, really, if you think about it. Especially since HIV/AIDS is a disease that has the ability to shed coats and rearrange itself and mutate.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
While you can argue this, that doesn't change the facts that[list=1][*]People do engage in "immoral" sexual activities, with to varying extremes. We're all human and we all have urges. Denying that is just stupid.
The fact that sex "feels good" is what makes us want to do it. It's a psychological/physiological mechanism that's tied in to just about everything we do... survival, reproduction...etc

My suggestion is to stay educated on what drives you.... the emotion and drama that your body says yes to, but your mind says no to, is what needs to be controlled. If not it will control you which means you risk the chance of getting AIDS that much more every time you let it slip.

Obviously this is not the only vulnerability to getting AIDS but it is "statistically" still the biggest.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2005, 08:50 AM

We always need to keep in mind that something that "feels good" isn't necessarily good.

The christian single partner idea isn't outdated. It just doesn't "feel good" all the time... and many people (especially in the western world) want instant gratification.

my 2�

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 08:53 AM

I've never understood just having sex for the sake of having sex.

Having a sexual relationship with someone you love and respect is 10,000 times better than anything else. That involves monogamy.

And if you end up having those little people that sort of look like both of you afterwards as the result? Nothing brings more joy, fulfillment, humor, and satisfaction to a life. Nothing.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 08:55 AM

We always need to keep in mind that something that "feels good" isn't necessarily good.
That is a really great statement that is so true.

I love to eat chocolate. But if I eat as much chocolate as I want then I will become fat and bloated and develop diabetes and skin problems.

That saying, "Too much of a good thing is not a good thing" is true too.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by porieux:
Trimeris stock closed at $13.60, up 86 cents or 6.75 percent, in composite trading on the Nasdaq, the biggest single- day percentage gain since Sept. 10, when it rose 11.49 percent, and down $4.63 from $17.93 a year ago. Roche shares traded at 123.2 Swiss Francs, up 0.5 francs, in composite trading in Zurich, down six Swiss Francs from a year ago.

The news ``is probably positive for Trimeris,'' said Sharon Seiler, a biotech analyst with New York-based Punk, Ziegel & Co., which she said owns no shares in the company, though it does act as a market maker. Fuzeon's required twice-daily injections and the need to mix the solution for 20 minutes ``have been significant impediments to the drug's sales'' in two years on the market, she said.
^^^ There's your problem right there.
Agreed, that part made me gag. But if disgusting profit motives are what it takes to advance medicine, then so be it. Although almost all such drugs arise from basic research that is conducted by government-funded researchers, the drug companies do carry drugs over the last mile.

Cody: Thanks for the article. But no cookie for the Drudge link, and double no cookie for lying about it earlier.

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2005, 09:20 AM

What doesn't kill you can make you stronger.
-\
-/

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 10:14 AM

Is not AIDS not deadly enough?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

memory-minus
Senior User
Feb 12, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by spatterson:
I don't know how much of the Heterosexual population use crystal meth. But I think the homosexual community uses crystal meth more.
Wrong. Homosexual population percentage estimates range from 3 to 10%, leaving heterosexuals with anywhere from 90 to 97%. I can guarantee you more heterosexuals use crystal meth based simply on those numbers. Crystal meth usage is a problem in all communities... your assertion is based on homophobia with absolutely no evidence, critical thinking or even common sense to back it up.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 10:19 AM

WTF is Crystal Meth? Anybody have a site or picture of what this crap is? I've heard of it before but i never new it was so prevalent.

memory-minus
Senior User
Feb 12, 2005, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Gays seem to have that predilection to have multiple partners and unsafe sex and other activities. I think that is why there is prejudice against them, to be honest.
Wrong. Please provide concrete evidence that this is true.

I can tell you right now that I have been in a monogamous homosexual relationship for over 4 years (and I'm only 24) and while others in the community do choose a promiscuous lifestyle with or without condom usage, I can guarantee you that it is no different than a heterosexual who frequents seedy singles joints or swingers websites for one-night stands. Your assertion that gays are more likely to engage in unsafe sex with multiple partners simply because they are gay is based on bigotry and homophobia and is not at all rooted in reality.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Feb 12, 2005, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
my friend disputes the existence of Aids over a book he read

the main idea if i remember is that HIV is the real desease, AIDs is the controvesy that drug companies use as a smokescreen to sell drugs

or something. somebody correct me please...
Verdad.

We had a thread about this the other day..

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=200522

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by memory-minus:

I can tell you right now that I have been in a monogamous homosexual relationship for over 4 years (and I'm only 24) and while others in the community do choose a promiscuous lifestyle with or without condom usage, I can guarantee you that it is no different than a heterosexual who frequents seedy singles joints or swingers websites for one-night stands. Your assertion that gays are more likely to engage in unsafe sex with multiple partners simply because they are gay is based on bigotry and homophobia and is not at all rooted in reality.
Relax. You of all people should know how much misinformation there is in these areas. You aren't going to make it better by waving the homophobe flag every time someone makes a statement about your sexual alignment.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2005, 11:13 AM

Not wishing to get into the argument, but...

Is it not true that what's stopping most single heterosexual men from having nightly casual relationships is the fact that there's women involved and women, due to their genetic programming, tend to say "no" to casuals much more than guys do?
Remove the women (i.e. gay relations) and logic dictates that there's less likelyhood of a "no" to a casual advance.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

memory-minus
Senior User
Feb 12, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Relax. You of all people should know how much misinformation there is in these areas. You aren't going to make it better by waving the homophobe flag every time someone makes a statement about your sexual alignment.
Yeah, you're right... I took it personally.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2005, 11:15 AM

Sherwin, I agree. "Homosexual promiscuity" is merely the male libido unleashed.
See Hatfield & Clark 1989. (here's a summary)
An attractive experimenter walked up to someone of opposite sex and said the following:

�I have been noticing you around campus. I find you very attractive. Would you:
a) go out with me tonight?
b) come over to my apartment tonight?
c) have sex with me tonight?

Consent rates:
For female, 50%, 6%, 0%.
For male: 50%, 69%, 75%.
i.e. males were more willing to have casual sex than to go on a date.
( Last edited by Mithras; Feb 12, 2005 at 11:26 AM. )

memory-minus
Senior User
Feb 12, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Not wishing to get into the argument, but...

Is it not true that what's stopping most single heterosexual men from having nightly casual relationships is the fact that there's women involved and women, due to their genetic programming, tend to say "no" to casuals much more than guys do?
Remove the women (i.e. gay relations) and logic dictates that there's less likelyhood of a "no" to a casual advance.
I think this logic is flawed... there is no shortage of women willing to have casual sex -- ask any of my straight male friends. It just depends on where you look for them, just like gay pickup joints. But anyway, isn't that what feminism is all about? The ability to make your own choices about your body? Like I said above, I'm in a monogamous relationship and I reject any sexual advance from others -- believe me I've had a fair share. And it's not because I overcame some hard-wired urge to sleep around, it's because I respect the boundaries of my relationship and I choose not to.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 11:37 AM

Having a sexual relationship with someone you love and respect is 10,000 times better than anything else. That involves monogamy.
But what's your view on serial polygamy?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 11:44 AM

It's not that gay people are attracted to people of the same sex. It's the way they act.
Do you actually know any gay people?

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 12:19 PM

I think the bottom line is no matter what your preference is, is that you should use your head.

If I did everything that looked like fun to me, I'd without a doubt be dead right now.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 12:26 PM

It is sad but as with anti bacterial medications and antiviral medications, the bacterial and virus are also fighting for their survival. They are mutating for the reason of resistance, the HIV virus just seems to be more adept at this.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 12:30 PM

I can tell you from first hand experience. 3 ppl at my hotel are gay, they all have 3 or more different partners every week. I have other gay friends who are the biggest sluts. Come to think of it I only know one gay guy who isnt a slut and over a dozen who are.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

spatterson
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 12:32 PM

your assertion is based on homophobia with absolutely no evidence, critical thinking or even common sense to back it up.
I think you took this comment too personally. I am not at all homophobic, how can a homosexual male be homophobic?

My opinion is based on what I have seen, and read about. My statement is no different from yours. Both of us have no legitimate data in our messages.

Sometimes its hard not to take messages personally. Trust me, I know from experience. But you have to realize that when one hundred people read a piece of text, each person is going to react differently.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
I think the bottom line is no matter what your preference is, is that you should use your head.
AMEN

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 01:17 PM

I can tell you from first hand experience. 3 ppl at my hotel are gay, they all have 3 or more different partners every week. I have other gay friends who are the biggest sluts. Come to think of it I only know one gay guy who isnt a slut and over a dozen who are.
That's true with my friends also. The weird thing is that some of them have powerful jobs or are executives and they still participate in this behavior.

There is a sex club in Fort Lauderdale called Platos and that place is always full of gay men and swinging couples. They all have sex together - that's what the place is. THAT is the kind of place where, if this guy with mutant HIV/AIDS went, they would ALL get the disease.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
WTF is Crystal Meth? Anybody have a site or picture of what this crap is? I've heard of it before but i never new it was so prevalent.
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/meth/meth.shtml

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 12, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
While you can argue this, that doesn't change the facts that
Those sir are opinions. Not facts.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 12, 2005, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

The christian single partner idea isn't outdated. It just doesn't "feel good" all the time... and many people (especially in the western world) want instant gratification.

my 2�
Indeed. Having one sex partner in these days doesn't have to really do with religious reasons.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 12, 2005, 01:45 PM

Wrong. Homosexual population percentage estimates range from 3 to 10%
The 10% number has been debunked time and time again. Why people still use it is beyond me.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Those sir are opinions. Not facts.
Not really, except for perhaps 2.

Are you arguing that people don't engage in "immoral" sexual activities? If you are, then you're wrong.
Are you arguing that every single person agrees with the Christian idea of relationships? If you are, then you're wrong.
Are you arguing that there no people who have HIV through no fault of their own? If you are, then you're wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules