Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple's original logo

Apple's original logo
Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 01:09 AM

Here's what's Apple's original logo back in late 70's... Here's Linky

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 01:13 AM

Not sexy.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Matt OS X
Here's what's Apple's original logo back in late 70's... Here's Linky
Matt,
Did you read the stuff on the page you linked to?
Had never even heard that rumor before.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by JustAnOl'Broad
Matt,
Did you read the stuff on the page you linked to?
Had never even heard that rumor before.

I know this part is true:

"The logo was solid red - it was changed (again officially stated) to differntiate it from a Tomato. (The original logo was red)"

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I know this part is true:
(The original logo was red)"
No, I meant this part:
["Founded by long haired hippies, this company has consistently supported 60's counter-cultural "values". But there are even darker undertones to this company than most are aware of. Consider the name of the company and its logo: an apple with a bite taken out of it. This is clearly a reference to the Fall, when Adam and Eve were tempted with an apple3 by the serpent. It is now Apple Computers offering us temptation, thereby aligning themselves with the forces of darkness."

This company is well known for its cult-like following. It isn't much of a stretch to say that it is a cult. Consider co-founder and leader Steve Jobs' constant exhortation through advertising (i.e. mind control) that its followers should "think different". We have to ask ourselves: "think different than whom or what?" The disturbing answer is that they want us to think different than our Christian upbringing, to reject all the values that we have been taught and to heed not the message of the Lord Jesus Christ!"]

Hadn't seen that story before.
P~

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2005, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by JustAnOl'Broad
No, I meant this part:
["Founded by long haired hippies, this company has consistently supported 60's counter-cultural "values". But there are even darker undertones to this company than most are aware of. Consider the name of the company and its logo: an apple with a bite taken out of it. This is clearly a reference to the Fall, when Adam and Eve were tempted with an apple3 by the serpent. It is now Apple Computers offering us temptation, thereby aligning themselves with the forces of darkness."

This company is well known for its cult-like following. It isn't much of a stretch to say that it is a cult. Consider co-founder and leader Steve Jobs' constant exhortation through advertising (i.e. mind control) that its followers should "think different". We have to ask ourselves: "think different than whom or what?" The disturbing answer is that they want us to think different than our Christian upbringing, to reject all the values that we have been taught and to heed not the message of the Lord Jesus Christ!"]

Hadn't seen that story before.
P~
Take a look at the rest of the site - it is pro-Mac; the page is meant to be humorous.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Take a look at the rest of the site - it is pro-Mac; the page is meant to be humorous.
doh

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 11:19 AM

Steve at one point was convinced that he could survive on nothing but Apples. he didn't last long. Perhaps that is how they got the name.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 11:25 AM

I dig it.

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 11:30 AM

If all of you dont agree with the original logo. Then, show me the original logo of Apple's if you have found one?

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 12:19 PM

Nevermind.
( Last edited by ManOfSteal; Apr 29, 2005 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Image bombed.)

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 04:08 PM

I don't remember that design. It was before I became an Apple owner. Quite interesting.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 05:03 PM

i have seen that logo before in a book before. the mac bathroom book, or apple history book of somekind.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 05:19 PM

NEW HOTNESS!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 06:21 PM

It sucks, but it's cool. I love the dangling apple just waiting to fall on Newton.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 06:58 PM

Yes, that Newton Apple logo was the original logo for the first year or so, in 1976.

And yes, the bite out of the Apple is an obvious Biblical reference.

KnutJob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 07:05 PM

The "bite out of the apple" is actually a BYTE out of the apple! 8 bits... (or was it just a nybble?)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 07:12 PM

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 07:54 PM

Not even close... As stated just above, the original logo was an ornate sketching of Newton underneath a tree. Jobs scrapped it because it wouldn't scale well. Which, from a graphic designer's POV, is true, yet unfortunate as the sketch was cool. And the bite? As KnutJob said, is another visual metaphor for Byte.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 10:07 PM

did you read my link?

jpellino
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 10:24 PM

The elements of the logo were once explained to me like this: You have the apple, the biblical symbol of knowledge, with the bite taken out of it - lust - but the rainbow - hope - but with the rainbow colors in the wrong order - anarchy. There you have it: knowledge, lust, hope, anarchy.

BlackwaterUSA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 12:40 AM

I like a more modern and enlightened view of the apple and "the exile from eden":

Eve decided to forsake the comforts of paradise and by biting the apple chose knowledge over ignorance. This bold act got her and adam exiled from the garden. They quickly found that with great knowledge comes responsibility. Thus they began their next chapter as thinking adults.

This is also a nice parable for Apple's intelligent corporate culture and their mission to sell smart products.

"Choose different"

Judas out.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 01:31 AM

Old Hotness!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2005, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by BlackwaterUSA
I like a more modern and enlightened view of the apple and "the exile from eden":

Eve decided to forsake the comforts of paradise and by biting the apple chose knowledge over ignorance. This bold act got her and adam exiled from the garden. They quickly found that with great knowledge comes responsibility. Thus they began their next chapter as Spider-Man.
Fixed.�
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

deafmickey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 02:21 AM

YEAH!!! There were plenty of issues about the rainbow Apple logo before Steve Jobs decided to changed it to monochrome Apple logo. What did Jean-Louis Gass�e said about rainbow Apple logo, go on. Its all in the "Apple CONFIDENTIAL" book. Go and get it.

Please don't start discuss about the new book called "iCon". I want the picture of me on one of Steve Jobs' bookshelves. ;-)

~M~

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by ort888

NEW HOTNESS!
I love it. Wonder how difficult it would be to actually have it done...

Amorya
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 05:20 AM

I always like the idea that the logo (stripy Apple) is a homage to Turing, who killed himself with a poisoned apple because the world couldn't accept his homosexuality.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 30, 2005, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by KnutJob
The "bite out of the apple" is actually a BYTE out of the apple! 8 bits... (or was it just a nybble?)

Originally Posted by THE MAC GOD
Not even close... As stated just above, the original logo was an ornate sketching of Newton underneath a tree. Jobs scrapped it because it wouldn't scale well. Which, from a graphic designer's POV, is true, yet unfortunate as the sketch was cool. And the bite? As KnutJob said, is another visual metaphor for Byte.
Indeed.

Also, Jobs was to have said something about liking Atari (For whome he worked for) Logo.

Which so happened to have the same cascading rainbow effect.

The BITE or BYTE off the Apple had more than one meaning.

It fit well.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 30, 2005, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
did you read my link?
Yup

http://www.kelleyad.com/Histry.htm

dicklacara@mac.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 11:28 AM

I was involved with Apple in 1978 (first as a customer, then as a retailler). I was told (I think by Woz's brother Mark) that the inspiration for the striped color logo came from the cables that were popular in computers of that eraq.

The cable was flat, and consisted of multiple wires molded together... If you neeed an 8-wire cable, you just peeled off a section.

Here is a link to a later Apple//e motherboard showing some of these cables.

Dick Applebaum

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Amorya
I always like the idea that the logo (stripy Apple) is a homage to Turing, who killed himself with a poisoned apple because the world couldn't accept his homosexuality.

Amorya
Yeah...pity it's not true.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2005, 01:35 PM

..........What the hell?
Signature depreciated.

Tofino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 02:12 PM

>>Consider the name of the company and its logo: an apple with a bite taken out of it.

I remember reading a long time ago that it's not a bite taken out of the apple, but the dent it got when it fell on Newton's head. That seems to make a lot more sense than any biblical reference, considering the original logo and the product name of my favourite PDA (may it rest in peace til the end of Jobs).

Don't remember the source, unfortunately.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
..........What the hell?
If you're replying to me:

The Turing thing would have been a really nice bit of computer lore, and a nice tribute to him.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Yes, that Newton Apple logo was the original logo for the first year or so, in 1976.

And yes, the bite out of the Apple is an obvious Biblical reference.
For a while I thought so too, and it may well be the idea.

However there is no reference in the Bible as to if the Forbidden Fruit was an apple... or an orange for that matter

“Building Better Worlds”

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 30, 2005, 03:25 PM

It was more than likely a fig.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
It was more than likely a fig.
your opinion...it was a fruit...more symboliclly than real, but we're talking to people who couldn't tell the difference

Zimphire
Baninated
May 1, 2005, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee
more symboliclly than real
Symbolic as in, it wasn't any special fruit that gave them knowledge.

It was the fact the choose to disobey God that changed everything.

ecrelin
May 1, 2005, 09:10 AM

Did anyone happen to notice on the IIe motherboard that the "a" from the word apple fits neatly into the bite? That right there could be the simple genesis?!? Plus from a grahic design point of view the solid apple is a big bulky chunk of space that actually doesn't scale well with type. Making it a rainbow changes its visual impact so that could also be a simple explanation. As a creative problem solver I've found the simplest answers are usually the most spot on.
I know not cool enough of a story.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 01:06 PM

As long as we're talking about the logo, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the rainbow Apple logo was referred to as one of the most expensive logos in the world because of how difficult it can be to reproduce it with all the colors lined up properly (at least at the time).

Barkley1969
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 10:46 AM

The first Apple logo was indeed the sketch of Newton.

The first Apple "logo" was designed by Rob Janoff www.newtrix.org
The occasional all-red variant was used only while trying to solve issues related to bleed and trapping of colors on a four color press. Doing so on such a small piece of artwork using mechanical separations was a huge headache and the all red logo was used when it was cost effective.

Cheers,

Barkley

Forum Links
Forum Rules