Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sent it in for repairs...mixed results

Sent it in for repairs...mixed results
dndog
May 13, 2006, 01:26 AM

I was one of the first people to receive their MacBook Pro and have held off from going to apple care to fix the logic board problem because I wanted my repair time to be as short as possible.

As I guessed, when I went into the Genius Bar last weekend and told them about the buzzing problem from the logic board, they gladly took my MBP and told me it would be back in a week. I picked it up today and the logic board buzzing was totally gone. Or so I thought.

I left my computer on to download some new music on my iPod and left it for a few hours. When I returned, if I lowered the brightness of the screen, it began to buzz loudly. I'm a tad confused now as to whether my product was fixed, because earlier on today the screen brightness did not make any noise.

What should I do? Why is the logic board buzzing occuring now, but didn't occur when I first got it back earlier this morning?
(sold)12" 1.33ghz iBook G4 512mb Ram [my first osx mac, way too slow]
(sold)15" 1.67ghz 1gig Ram Powerbook [I need more power a.k.a. Macbook]
15" 1.83ghz 1gig Ram MacBook Pro

pat++
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 07:40 AM

I think this one is a different buzzing which is caused by a faulty screen inverter (it happens when lowering the brightness of the display). Apple has acknowledged this issue. It seems you'll need to make them change the logic board again (and pray the new one doesn't have the CPU whine)...

markus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by pat++
I think this one is a different buzzing which is caused by a faulty screen inverter (it happens when lowering the brightness of the display). Apple has acknowledged this issue. It seems you'll need to make them change the logic board again (and pray the new one doesn't have the CPU whine)...
my screen buzzes when the brightness is anywhere between full brightness and completely shutoff.. (it doesnt buzz when all the way turned up, or all the way off)

i got my mbp right when they came out..

is this something i can get fixed w/o having to pay??

thanks

dndog  (op)
May 18, 2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by markus
my screen buzzes when the brightness is anywhere between full brightness and completely shutoff.. (it doesnt buzz when all the way turned up, or all the way off)

i got my mbp right when they came out..

is this something i can get fixed w/o having to pay??

thanks
Yeah, apple has acknowledged this a a problem. Just give their support a call and explain your problem and they'll take care of you.

-dndog

certmagic
Banned
May 19, 2006, 07:17 AM

I sent my Macbook Pro in for the CPU Whine, it came back with BOTH the CPU whine and the inverter whine. Not happy at all

dndog  (op)
May 19, 2006, 01:03 PM

What is with this? Does Apple not really fix our computers when we send them in?

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2006, 01:29 PM

My MBP does have the slight "CPU whine" but stories like this have prevented me from taking it in. I'm not relinquishing my MBP until I can confirm:

1. My issue is not software-correctable.

2. Apple knows how to fix this problem 100% of the time. From what I'm reading, even some of the latest 17" MBPs and the new MacBooks have the whine.

For what it's worth, my original MBP did have the display inverter whine issue. I knew for sure that no software update was gonna fix that issue. I took it to my local Apple Store (Yorkdale) and they replaced it for me on the spot. *That* was service.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 02:01 PM

man that sux.. thanks for sharing though
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules