Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 5.2 pounds (2.36kg)

5.2 pounds (2.36kg)
redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
May 16, 2006, 04:59 PM

For some of us, 5.2lbs is a bit of a disappointment. Not that I expected anything less. MacBook's a great laptop for a wide range of people.

But, I've gotten used to toting around my Toshiba Portege. At 2.4lbs, I don't think twice about carrying it with me. I might be persuaded by a MacBook THIN - because, after all, I was lead to believe that the switch to Intel would result in lighter, more battery-efficient units.

It looks to me like any battery savings is going to go into the "79% brighter" displays.

I don't mean to disparage the MacBook - it's a great machine and miles better than the iBook. But I'm left waiting for more...

pat++
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 08:14 PM

At 2.4lbs, you don't have any optical drive... There is no miracle.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2006, 02:34 AM

I personally would love a thin Apple notebook with no optical drive, but so far they seem to be against the idea. It's not a technical issue. It's based partially on Apple's design philosophy and partially on their desire to keep a streamlined product line. Plus, there is the issue of demand. Are there enough people who would buy such a notebook who would NOT buy either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro? If not, then it doesn't really make sense for them to make one. I'd like to think that there are people who would want such a machine, but of course I'm just guessing.

iBabo
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 12:03 PM

buy a macbook and take out the optical drive.. that should shave close to a pound off the unit
smile like you mean it.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2006, 12:36 PM

The Sony SZ series has a 13.3" display, dual graphic cards (integrated and a seperate Nvidia go7400 128mb card) and an optical drive and it weighs 3.5 lbs. True it is more expensive than the MB but I guess thats what you pay for. And oh yes, the top of the line Premium models are made of carbon fiber and are absolutely gorgeous!

Sage
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 12:45 PM

I’d really like it if there was a MB Thin with a docking station for the optical drive and what not. In fact, it would be really cool to integrate a docking station with a display, so you have an instantaneous desktop setup.

</wishfulThinking>

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 01:23 PM

Well, I said essentially the same thing as Icruise and Sage in the giant-ass MacBook speculation thread, so I needn't say it again. If they do make it (sigh, doubtful), though, and they actually call it a MacBook Thin, I'm gonna punch them. MacOSRumors.com is simply not allowed to be right.

redhot_nyc  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 08:11 PM

I see your points about the lack of an optical drive being against Apple's design philosophy, and I think we'll thankfully never see a MacBook with a docking station.

There is still a part of the "family" missing - the 12" Powerbook has yet to be replaced. I hope it's not just an aluminium-clad MacBook. The MacBook needs to shed at least 1lb before I'll buy it.

Look at the Lenovo Thinkpad lineup - I'm not suggesting Apple should have that many models, but they are missing a lightweight 'book.

masugu
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Well, I said essentially the same thing as Icruise and Sage in the giant-ass MacBook speculation thread, so I needn't say it again. If they do make it (sigh, doubtful), though, and they actually call it a MacBook Thin, I'm gonna punch them. MacOSRumors.com is simply not allowed to be right.
Watch out for an ultra-low voltage Core 2 Duo...a high priced Mac the size of Sony's TX series NBs coulf be in the offing. Sorry Slugslug

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
Watch out for an ultra-low voltage Core 2 Duo...a high priced Mac the size of Sony's TX series NBs coulf be in the offing. Sorry Slugslug
Why are you sorry? I'm not saying I don't want it to come out; I'd buy it in a second. I just think calling it MacBook Thin would be the dumbest thing ever (no offense to anyone here who likes it, just my opinion is all).

Sadly, I really don't think it's on the way—though I suppose if those tiny ThinkPads and Vaios sell well, Apple might consider it. Happily, I think if an ultraportable MacBook does come out, it won't be called "Thin" (my money's on "mini").

Extyx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 08:56 PM

I think a nice idea would be to call it the MacBook Lite, or something more Apple-esque.
And the specs couldn't be 2.4 pounds, and it'd have to be expensive, but it would be my dream. My hoped specs are (Mid-end):

Intel Core Duo L2400 (Not Solo.)
ATI X1300 64MB (Or ATI FireGL V5200.)
1GB RAM (Will fix that.)
80GB (Will upgrade to 120 GB.)
3.5 pounds
CD-RW/DVD-Reader

<WishfulThinkingEnd>

redhot_nyc  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 09:05 PM

Sub-4lbs seems to be a sweet spot. It's been 5 years since the Titanium Powerbook (5.4lbs) and with the switch to Intel, surely some weight loss is in order!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by redhot_nyc
I see your points about the lack of an optical drive being against Apple's design philosophy, and I think we'll thankfully never see a MacBook with a docking station.
Do you really think docking stations are a bad idea? I think the potential is fantastic: a basic optical drive/USB/FireWire/AV out setup would be the obvious dock, but if Apple licensed the connector design to select 3rd parties, you could have things like a better video card, additional hard drive, or ExpressCard or PCI slots in the dock.

There is still a part of the "family" missing - the 12" Powerbook has yet to be replaced. I hope it's not just an aluminium-clad MacBook. The MacBook needs to shed at least 1lb before I'll buy it.
It's been covered elsewhere that the MacBook replaces the iBooks and the 12" PowerBook; Phil Schiller said as much. Makes sense, since those 2 were pretty much the same inside. To see for your self that the 12" has been replaced, try going to http://www.apple.com/powerbook and you'll be forwarded to apple.com/macbook instead. When you get there, note the text: "Meet the family. Now complete."

Look at the Lenovo Thinkpad lineup - I'm not suggesting Apple should have that many models, but they are missing a lightweight 'book.
Again, I think it's missing, too. I really wanted to buy something small and Intel-powered to replace my Ti for lugging to school, and I'm pretty disappointed that the weight difference is only .2 pounds. But Apple probably saves more money in the end by losing a few sales to people who must have super-light laptops because it makes manufacturing and sales forecasting that much simpler. There are probably plenty of people who really really really want a 4ish-pound MacBook, but will buy the 5.2-pound one anyway.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2006, 05:45 PM

oops, dele

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2006, 06:55 PM

I think the 12" iBook is 4.9 lbs and the 12" PB is 4.6 lbs. Having owned both of these, I would feel the increase in weight which is unfortunate. I already find the MBP and 15" PB too heavy. Sure I could still carry them around, but it's a major consideration to me. I hope they can still shave off some ounces off that MB.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006, 07:10 PM

i actually find my 12" pb to be relatively heavy, maybe because it seems very dense.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2006, 12:53 AM

I waited for the MacBook because we all knew there would be one soon. If I knew there would be a MacBook Mini/Thin/Light/Whatever, I'd wait again. But since this could happen as late as at the WWDC in August, that's a bit long. A product roadmap would be fine sometimes.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2006, 01:15 AM

The weight thing is a problem. I am in the market for a 12" powerbook, as I thought my 1.2Ghz ibook was heavy, but after reading this thread, I'm not so sure I will be savings much by downsizing...Maybe selling the ibook and buying a 12" light generic and installing a linux on it...Laptops in my opinion should be light enough to carry around like a book in your bag.
My Blog-pakos.me

kitcho
May 20, 2006, 05:51 PM

i think its funny that they make the laptop considerabaly smaller than the 15 inch powerbook but only manage to shave .4 pounds off the weight. recently my powerbook seems to be getting heavier and heavier but still is light enough to carry from place to place but after reading this I think it will feel that much lighter when lugging it around.

oh and the guy who posted about the toshiba portege. i didnt realize laptops still had that ugly gap where the bottom of the screen is. at 2.4lbs you are trading features for weight. nonetheless, ugly as hell.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 06:01 PM

Eug pointed out in some other thread that the MacBook is a wee bit smaller in volume than the 12" iBook, but it still wound up .3 pounds (what is that, about 5 oz.?) heavier. I guess that Intel stuff is denser

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2006, 06:20 PM

My iBook is my home computer and I always use it on my lap with an EZ-LAP pad. But even at 4.9 lbs it's heavier (and hotter) than I like. I want to upgrade and am trying to decide on what to buy. I really hate heat, so I think the MB is out for me. I almost ordered one the other night, but then thought better of it. I considered a used (or close-out, if they close them out) 12" PB because it's smaller and lighter than the iBook, but again I think the heat would be too much for me. A PC laptop even crossed my mind. A lady I work with has a Vaio and it sits on her desk running all day. I picked it up and felt the bottom -- it was barely warm. I'll probably end up getting another iBook though, if they ever show up on the close-out websites. Amazon's $100 rebate vanished last night...

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by kitcho
i think its funny that they make the laptop considerabaly smaller than the 15 inch powerbook but only manage to shave .4 pounds off the weight.
Part of the reason for the heft of the Apple machine is that it's very very sturdy and can withstand abuses that would rip apart lesser made products. Remember, school districts around the nation were giving iBooks to 7th graders.

Chris

mexicali100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
Part of the reason for the heft of the Apple machine is that it's very very sturdy and can withstand abuses that would rip apart lesser made products. Remember, school districts around the nation were giving iBooks to 7th graders.

Chris
The MacBook DOES feel very sturdy, actually. I played with a few at the local Apple store. It is definately heavier than it looks, but it's not "bad" heavy. The unit doesn't feel like cheap plastic either, like my Gateway laptop.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2006, 08:52 PM

I agree. It doesn't feel like cheap plastic, as many PC laptops do. That's an intangible that is worth something to me.

Chris

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Eug pointed out in some other thread that the MacBook is a wee bit smaller in volume than the 12" iBook, but it still wound up .3 pounds (what is that, about 5 oz.?) heavier. I guess that Intel stuff is denser
Must be all that extra thermal grease.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by striker100
The Sony SZ series has a 13.3" display, dual graphic cards (integrated and a seperate Nvidia go7400 128mb card) and an optical drive and it weighs 3.5 lbs. True it is more expensive than the MB but I guess thats what you pay for. And oh yes, the top of the line Premium models are made of carbon fiber and are absolutely gorgeous!
You don't get OSX and for me that is a huge deal breaker.

Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tarcat
You don't get OSX and for me that is a huge deal breaker.
sooo tired of this argument

Tarcat
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 09:01 PM

Well it is the primary reason anybody buys a Mac now isn't it?

f1000
Professional Poster
May 27, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
I agree. It doesn't feel like cheap plastic, as many PC laptops do. That's an intangible that is worth something to me.

Chris
As an iBook replacement, the MacBook rocks, but as a 12" PowerBook replacement I'm rather disappointed. The Blaqbook seems to be a nod to 12" PowerBook users, but it's still not as sleek as the AluBook. I've tried to like the BlaqBook's aesthetics, but I find the WhiteBook to be more attractive.

As for the increased weight of the MacBooks, well, I guess their wider screens and improved battery lives sort of make up for it.

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2006, 02:03 PM

I agree that I'd be happy with a Macbook over an iBook...but as a Rev B 12" Powerbook owner, I wouldn't be looking forward to the weight/size increase from a sleek Alu PB to a Macbook. One thing that i haven't seen mentioned anyhwere but has the potential to be a HUGE issue, is since there are no 'bumpers' keeping the screen off of the keyboard, are we going to have masses of people in a month or two with screens with keyboard marks all over them? Even WITH the bumpers on a 12" PB and iBooks, we got the keyboard screen marks....I'm happy that I decided to get a 20" iMac instead of a new laptop.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 29, 2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Reid
I agree that I'd be happy with a Macbook over an iBook...but as a Rev B 12" Powerbook owner, I wouldn't be looking forward to the weight/size increase from a sleek Alu PB to a Macbook. One thing that i haven't seen mentioned anyhwere but has the potential to be a HUGE issue, is since there are no 'bumpers' keeping the screen off of the keyboard, are we going to have masses of people in a month or two with screens with keyboard marks all over them? Even WITH the bumpers on a 12" PB and iBooks, we got the keyboard screen marks....I'm happy that I decided to get a 20" iMac instead of a new laptop.
I'm getting a screen protector, but the keyboard is recessed, and it doesn't bow up at all like it sometimes did on the iBooks/PowerBooks. Furthermore, the screen bezel has a 1 mm thick bump on either side that acts as a bumper.

Forum Links
Forum Rules