Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New w800 walkman phone.

New w800 walkman phone.
kitcho
May 27, 2006, 02:19 AM

Okay, so anyone into mobiles reading this already knows the w800 is an older phone. I recently purchased this phone/walkman/camera for 340$ CDN. So what we have is a phone that out of the box comes with a 512mb memory stick pro duo. You can buy 2gb memory stick duos off ebay for around 60$ CDN. From what I understand this is because memory sticks are dirt cheap in japan and people import & resell them. The headphones are worth mentioning because headphones of a similiar quality should be included with all premium music devices. By no means would a device like this replace a high capacity ipod. In closing, what you have out of the box is a product that is Apple'ish in design and aesthetics with excellent connectivity - Bluetooth, IR, MSD/MSPD and USB.

+ Positive +
- Dedicated music player & music player buttons.
- High quality headphones/headset packaged with the phone.
- Bluetooth connectivity AND bluetooth remote control (control your bt enabled mac)
- Excellent quality 2MP camera w/ autofocus. Fast access.
- "Walkman only" operation mode option for extended battery life / airplanes

+ Neutral -
- White/Bronze color combo with orange backlight. Not for everyone.
- Cannot function directly through itunes. Drag & Drop functionality. Dreamsicle works as well.

- Negative -
- Fuzz collects in area around thumbstick.
- 2GB Memory card limit (+internal memory).

Its only a matter of time before apple releases bluetooth enabled ipods & mobile handsets. Bluetooth brings a whole new dimension to sharing pictures and music. Apple would put a leash on Itunes Store purchased music though.

Thoughts?

hickey
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 12:01 PM

does the screen get scratched up from normal pocket carrying? Or would you recommend an invisibleshield type product?

kitcho  (op)
May 27, 2006, 02:15 PM

i have been carrying it around for almost a week now and besides fingerprints there isnt any noticeable scratches even after laying it on its face. the pda screen protectors you can buy at most any electronics retail store work awesome and can be used with all your electronic devices. they can be cut to whatever size you need with a razorblade or exacto knife. A screen protector is always a good idea but in this case I would say it is optional.

hickey
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 04:56 PM

awesome, have you had any other ericsson phones, and if so, were they as scratch resistant as this one?

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2006, 07:18 AM

I've had my w800 for 6 months now and love it. I don't carry my ipod for commuting, just for longer journeys and I put podcasts on the w800 for when I want to listen to stuff. My screen has a few scratches and I would advise a sticky shield for it. Mine lives in my pocket without a case and it's starting to pick up more scratches, replaceable screen covers would be a good idea.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

kitcho  (op)
May 30, 2006, 09:17 PM

now that ive had my w800 for a week i can say this is the best device i have ever owned. however, with that said, I know you apple fans are picky and as such I am adding another point to the negative.

- Negative -
- Battery door wiggles a small amount. It dosen't come loose at all but it would be enough to cause discontent among macintosh users.

hickey
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 01:56 PM

I'll probably get an invisibleshield for whatever Ericsson phone I get, because I dont really like phone cases, and I havent found any that catch my eye.

Forum Links
Forum Rules