Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > diy macbook protection?

diy macbook protection?
boomerdang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 07:34 PM

Hey out there, I just picked up a refreshed 1.83 macbook and am really happy with it. I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap diy solution to scuffs on the palmrests and the smoothing out of the trackpad?
Maybe I just need to scratch it up so I'll get over not wanting cosmetic damage

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 19, 2006, 07:36 PM

Stickers - Billabong, Stussy, etc. . . . study shows they are the best theft deterrents PLUS they offer pretty good protection against Random Scratch Syndrome =)
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

boomerdang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 07:48 PM

Oh I guess specifically if people know of brands of clear sticky plastic that would be great for me.

icec0ld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 08:01 PM

you can wipe down the keyboard, palm rest and trackpad areas with a mr clean magic eraser. depending on what you want, you can either shell out $40 bucks to get an invisible shield which is cut to the specs of the macbook. OR if you only want the palm rest area, i HIGHLY suggest you go to Best Skins Ever Storefront and get their DIY custom shield thingy. the DIY is a rectangular 9" x 3.75" piece of clear 3m material (same as the invisible shield material) which you can cut to the size of the palm rest area. since the piece is so small, it's only like $10 bucks to cover the palmrest whereas the invisible shield is 4 times the price but covers the top lid, track pad and track button (i find the pieces for the button and the pad useless and don't even use those).

boomerdang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 08:07 PM

Thanks-- is there a place where I can get that kind of 3m material locally? Do hardware or office supply stores carry sticky 3m material for any reason?

icec0ld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 08:09 PM

no. if you're running low on funds, just get it at Best Skins Ever Storefront it's just 6.99 + 2 bucks shipping to the conus.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2006, 08:34 PM

the invisible shield is amazing. the top is a pain to put on and you are bound to get lint or some type of dirt stuck in the sticky side but if that doesnt bother you i would get it.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by boomerdang
Thanks-- is there a place where I can get that kind of 3m material locally? Do hardware or office supply stores carry sticky 3m material for any reason?
You might check into PDA screen protectors. They can be found in different sizes at office supply stores.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 19, 2006, 09:38 PM

What about the dreaded "wristwatch syndrome?" I have it on my old PC laptop, and I expect that it's something that MacBooks are prone to as well. Aside from changing to a soft watchband, what can be done for the MacBook to protect it from this kind of scratching?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

icec0ld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 11:57 PM

invisible shield or best skins ever diy skin. just cut it and put it onto the palm/wrist area. it's designed to be scratch proof to keys, i'm sure it can withstand your wrist watch...

here's an image of it...

boomerdang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 06:53 PM

Does anyone have experience with macessity's keyboard/palmrest cover? keyboard shield
I wonder if it affects heat being able to escape.
( Last edited by boomerdang; Sep 21, 2006 at 07:29 PM. )

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 02:09 PM

i just go the marware protection kit for my black macbook. pricey at $25 but it seems to do the job.

i'm considering a keyboard cover too, but not sure with the heat risk...

john

Originally Posted by ghporter
What about the dreaded "wristwatch syndrome?" I have it on my old PC laptop, and I expect that it's something that MacBooks are prone to as well. Aside from changing to a soft watchband, what can be done for the MacBook to protect it from this kind of scratching?

nickw311
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 02:10 PM

Has anyone had problems when peeling off palm rest covers? I just got some for my MacBook and I am a little concerned that they may be difficult to peel off or will leave the area all sticky.

The covers I got are solid white and are similar to a glossy mailing label sticker, except they are cut to the exact size of the palm rest.
27" iMac C2D

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 27, 2007, 10:33 PM

Dang that's a blast from the past!

For the record, we generally discourage (read that "there's a rule against") bringing up threads that haven't been active for six months or more. However this sorta looks like new, relevant information...

And for the record, I now have a MacBook Pro and in general I take off my stainless steel banded watch because leaning my wrist on the wrist rest through the watchband is uncomfortable. I don't have scratches on the aluminum or my watch, but I don't know if that's just luck or what.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules