Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Survey for masters thesis: RSS Technology and Learning

Survey for masters thesis: RSS Technology and Learning
WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Oct 17, 2006, 09:52 PM

Hi all,

I'm writing my masters thesis on RSS technology. The focus area is on how RSS does or does not aid learning. In other words, does it merely reinforce users' own personal beliefs, or does it create learning by exposing people to content that they might have usually skipped over?

I've created an online survey of 25 questions, and I'd appreciate anyone who would take it. This research is the first of it's kind -- totally new, so I'm excited

You can take the survey here. I'll be eternally grateful. Also, please pass to friends if you can. The more, the better.

Thanks!
- Brad
( Last edited by WinsOBoogi; Oct 17, 2006 at 10:00 PM. )

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2006, 10:06 PM

Cool, took the survey.

I doubt you need it, but I've actually done a lot of work with RSS and creating RSS enabled sites. If you have any questions you think I might be able to help with, feel free to ask.

WinsOBoogi  (op)
Senior User
Oct 17, 2006, 10:07 PM

I appreciate the offer. If you're interested, I can share with you the results (I'll probably post them anyway). It'll be cool to get some nice descriptive, aggregated statistics on RSS usage.

I'll let you know if I have any questions. Thanks.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2006, 10:51 PM

Another participant.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2006, 12:08 AM

OK, I'm 40 years old and your survey doesn't include a bracket between 36 and 44. So I'm choosing the 25-35 bracket.

WinsOBoogi  (op)
Senior User
Oct 18, 2006, 12:12 AM

Fixed....sorry

Oversoul
Senior User
Oct 18, 2006, 12:28 AM

Doesn't surveying people through a Tech-based forum about RSS technology skew your results? In other words, aren't you introducing bias into your survey? Unless, of course, you want a tech savvy sample.

WinsOBoogi  (op)
Senior User
Oct 18, 2006, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Doesn't surveying people through a Tech-based forum about RSS technology skew your results? In other words, aren't you introducing bias into your survey? Unless, of course, you want a tech savvy sample.
It's a good question. Basically, the survey is based on the "Uses and Gratification" approach, which basically means that you're targeting users of something and asking them descriptives. It's aimed to help explain how and why they use the item in question. So, targeting people in a high-tech atmosphere to ask them about something high-tech is exactly what you'd want to do, as it's meant to "shed light" on something. However, if the research was to see what percentage of the population uses RSS, and I went online to ask people, then yes you'd be absolutely correct, in that it'd definitely be skewed.

WinsOBoogi  (op)
Senior User
Oct 30, 2006, 10:27 AM

Hey all,

I'm going to employ the ole "bump" here. I've collected 101 responses so far, from a multitude of websites, but the more the better. If you have 10 minutes or so, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks.

draggerman11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 05:43 PM

I just completed the survey.

Forum Links
Forum Rules