Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you Really Need 2GB Ram for the Basics?

Do you Really Need 2GB Ram for the Basics?
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2006, 10:51 AM

I bought a Macbook in August. I bought it with 80 GB HD and 1 GB RAM. So i noticed that those specs are now built in automatically now. Anyways does the 2GB of RAM make that big of a difference for using the basics such as Word, Firefox (Safari), Adium and iTunes?

mindwaves
Dec 10, 2006, 12:28 PM

No.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Dec 10, 2006, 04:57 PM

I have only 512mb of RAM and it works fine most of the time for me. I do get a lot of beachballs when I have a few programs open though. I really need more RAM for my heavy programs and multi tasking.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Bolero421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 05:43 PM

I have 1gb of RAM in my system and it runs just fine for the purposes you are describing (and more). I've played around on a friend's system that had 2gb RAM and I didn't notice any difference in performance just browsing / email / chatting / etc.
| White Macbook | 2.0GHz | 120GB WD HD | 1GB DDR2 RAM |
panum et circe

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2006, 06:06 PM

If someone walks up to you and gives you a blank check and says "Get all the RAM you can for your computer," do NOT turn him down. But for day by day functioning, 2GB is not essential. I run my MBP with 1GB and it's great. I would not recommend running at 512MB because the OS is kind of hoggish at that level.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hldan
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
I bought a Macbook in August. I bought it with 80 GB HD and 1 GB RAM. So i noticed that those specs are now built in automatically now. Anyways does the 2GB of RAM make that big of a difference for using the basics such as Word, Firefox (Safari), Adium and iTunes?
2GB of ram won't make a huge difference from the 1GB that you currently have IF you use only one app at a time. So for example if you have 1GB of ram and you have iTunes open and then you need to use Word and your web browser then its best to completely quit iTunes. The beachball will constantly rear it's ugly head when the hard drive gets accessed to get more virtual memory when ram availablity gets short.

Here's some quick info that many of us never take into account when it comes to ram. First off, your 1GB of ram is not fully available for your apps. Here's what gets fed first.

The operating system eats about 160MB of ram (wired). This is not up for negotiation unfortunately.
The widgets are hungry too. Each widget eats about 7-12MB of ram so if you use multiple widgets it's best to disable all but the ones you REALLY use.

iTunes eats about 60MB and eats even more if Coverflow is displayed.
Safari eats about 55MB
Firefox eats about 50MB
Word eats about 45MB. Expect more ram to be used with Word because the MacBook has to use the Rosetta emulation to operate and Rosetta sucks up ram through a straw.

Todays apps are getting more bloated than ever but the features are getting more in demand so now you can see why more ram is necessary. You can NEVER have too much. I highly recommend to max out your MacBook.

You should check out the Activity Monitor in the utilities folder to see how much ram is being accessed. If you see a number higher than "0" in the Page Outs section you should consider installing more ram. If it's a high number your hard drive is being accessed way too much and should be a no brainer to get more ram.
( Last edited by hldan; Dec 10, 2006 at 06:15 PM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If someone walks up to you and gives you a blank check and says "Get all the RAM you can for your computer," do NOT turn him down. But for day by day functioning, 2GB is not essential. I run my MBP with 1GB and it's great. I would not recommend running at 512MB because the OS is kind of hoggish at that level.
What happens at 512MB is that you still won't run out of RAM, however apps will use 2-3x more virtual memory than before to compensate for not being able to take a lot of ram, therefore they will run MUCH slower.

Data on RAM can be accessed at something like 5-8 GigaBYTES per second. Hard drive space? Maybe 40 MB/s on a good day.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2006, 09:01 PM

What is this beachball metaphor people are using? Anyways I would say that you can def. run more than one app. successfully.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2006, 09:08 PM

What is this beachball metaphor people are using?
The beachball that people keep referencing is your cursor when it changes to spinning multi-colord circle, or as most people call it a spinning beachball.

This occurs when the operating system stops getting messages from an application and can mean that its hung, but generally means the application is busy processing something. If memory is short, then there's less ram to due the computations and thus more likely to incur the spinning beachball of death.
Michael

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
the spinning beachball of death.
I like it! SBOS like BSOD. (couldn't help myself)

I use 1GB of RAM in my MacBook and it runs 8 apps without a noticeable slowdown (Finder, Dashboard, Gimp, X11, and Camino [the most apps I've had open ever]). Seems fine for me
Signature depreciated.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2006, 09:31 AM

Oh wow this happens a lot.

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2006, 12:45 PM

I ordered my blackbook core duo and RAM separately from newegg and I have to say, the two weeks that I was on the stock 1GB I ordered from Apple was kind of rough. Not bad at all, great in fact, but not the speed I was expecting from such a machine.

I popped in that extra 1GB I bought and now the thing flies! It's especially useful when using a second display. If you all remember, the macbook uses shared memory for the graphics card (64MB I believe). So take into account that number, plus your apps and OS, and you get a machine that will run considerably better the more ram you add.

I can't imagine running anything less than 2GB now.

It's not that expensive if you go third party and I've been very pleased with my results. I'd go for 2GB
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

peterauch21
Dec 11, 2006, 05:00 PM

I used 512 for almost three months.. 512 was decent.. I was able to run multiple programs.. Safari, iTunes, adium, and Tremulous (FPS game) with no problems. I now have 2gigs of ram and dont see a huge difference except for when rendering video and other tasks like that.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by peterauch21 View Post
I used 512 for almost three months.. 512 was decent.. I was able to run multiple programs.. Safari, iTunes, adium, and Tremulous (FPS game) with no problems. I now have 2gigs of ram and dont see a huge difference except for when rendering video and other tasks like that.
how did you get the upgrade? anyways i think it is so funny how most people use adium over i chat.

m_young
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2006, 11:39 PM

how did you get the upgrade? anyways i think it is so funny how most people use adium over i chat.
why is it so funny?

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 03:26 AM

I agree. I mean, I like Adium, but the only reason I use it is so I can talk to my MSN friends. MSN lacks so many features on Mac. AIM is so fully integrated into Apple, you'd think they invented it. It's awesome. I love iChat. Simple, and powerful.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 09:18 AM

1.25 GB RAM, runs great although when running paralells may slow down quite a lot.

looking for the money to upgrade to 2 GB
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

peterauch21
Dec 12, 2006, 04:19 PM

I assume you are talking about the ram upgrade? I bought 2 sticks from bestbuy.. I use adium because the duck is funny. I havent messed with iChat much. But the duckeh is mah friend.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2006, 05:46 PM

i personally think youre ok with 1gig of ram unless you use any rosetta apps (mainly cs suite). then your machine is gonna be much slower than the same machine with 2gigs of ram.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by hldan
2GB of ram won't make a huge difference from the 1GB that you currently have IF you use only one app at a time. So for example if you have 1GB of ram and you have iTunes open and then you need to use Word and your web browser then its best to completely quit iTunes. The beachball will constantly rear its ugly head when the hard drive gets accessed to get more virtual memory when ram availablity gets short.
I know that the Dashboard is pretty RAM-hungry, but seriously? A gig isn't enough to multitask even with Word and iTunes on a MacBook?

That sounds shady to me - in all my experience with Macs and Windows machines, a gig of ram has been PLENTY to multitask. My work-provided laptop has a gig of memory and I frequently run upwards of 10 applications simultaneously without noticeable lag.

If you're running with a 4200rpm drive, I suppose that might make a difference, but I'm just surprised to hear that the MacBook requires so much ram for such basic multitasking. That's a little disappointing...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2006, 12:17 PM

I have been getting the beachball a lot lately. I have 1 gb of ram. I has been great however it is acting up now.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 05:46 PM

Did you install anything janky recently - maybe something that requires Rosetta? Did you start using a different web browser or other application?

In Windows, Firefox has a deliberate feature that caches large amounts of information in system RAM/memory to allow faster page loads from previously visited pages. If I keep Firefox open for six hours or so, it will suck as much as 300MB of my available RAM. Restarting Firefox fixes that problem.

I believe that other resource-intensive apps such as Photoshop use more and more RAM the more you use the application in one sitting. Are you rebooting regularly or just going into standby/sleep for the most part?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 07:28 PM

theres a difference what you experience with a power pc and an intel machine...with a macbook word now runs under rosetta which is VERY ram hungry, couple that with the integrated graphics and a ram hungry itunes and dashboard apps open and youre gonna notice a few beachballs here n there.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2006, 12:11 PM

In activity monitor under system memory it says I use 823.23 MB and 197.03 MB are free. Is there referring to RAM? If so does anybody think I should upgrade to 2GB of Ram? Does anybody know if the Apple Store does RAM upgrades in the store? And if they do does it void the warranty?

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2006, 03:35 PM

In activity monitor under system memory it says I use 823.23 MB and 197.03 MB are free. Is there referring to RAM? If so does anybody think I should upgrade to 2GB of Ram? Does anybody know if the Apple Store does RAM upgrades in the store? And if they do does it void the warranty?
I'd upgrade to 2 gigs if I were you, but I say that to everyone. The Apple store will do the upgrade and no it won't void your warranty. You can even buy cheaper RAM online and install it yourself. It's really easy and again won't void your warranty.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2006, 04:28 PM

Is it as good? Can you bring ram from elsewhere and install it? link me please

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2006, 05:12 PM

Is it as good? Can you bring ram from elsewhere and install it? link me please
Not sure of your exact meaning, so here's some ramblings that may or may not address your question.

"Is it as good?" You can by crap RAM - sometimes for more than good RAM - but "good" RAM is more common and more available. Stick with names that people know, like Kingston, Crucial and Corsair, but read up here to see what the buzz is-sometimes there's some oddity that you should be aware of when you order.

"Can you bring ram from elsewhere and install it?" I think that the Genius at the Apple Store will require you to buy the RAM from him before he installs it. But YOU can install RAM in your MacBook without too much trouble. It's not brain surgery, but it isn't like dropping bread in a toaster, either, so read up on it at Apple's Knowledge Base (link as requested).

What other link are you looking for?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2006, 10:18 PM

A link to some good providers. But you pretty much gave me good ones. All I ever hear about is Crucial. Is there Ram really that much better than others? And how does Apple's RAM compare to others? Do you think I can find 2GB of RAM for less than $150. (isnt that what apple charges?)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
2GB of ram won't make a huge difference from the 1GB that you currently have IF you use only one app at a time. So for example if you have 1GB of ram and you have iTunes open and then you need to use Word and your web browser then its best to completely quit iTunes. The beachball will constantly rear it's ugly head when the hard drive gets accessed to get more virtual memory when ram availablity gets short.

Here's some quick info that many of us never take into account when it comes to ram. First off, your 1GB of ram is not fully available for your apps. Here's what gets fed first.

The operating system eats about 160MB of ram (wired). This is not up for negotiation unfortunately.
The widgets are hungry too. Each widget eats about 7-12MB of ram so if you use multiple widgets it's best to disable all but the ones you REALLY use.

iTunes eats about 60MB and eats even more if Coverflow is displayed.
Safari eats about 55MB
Firefox eats about 50MB
Word eats about 45MB. Expect more ram to be used with Word because the MacBook has to use the Rosetta emulation to operate and Rosetta sucks up ram through a straw.

Todays apps are getting more bloated than ever but the features are getting more in demand so now you can see why more ram is necessary. You can NEVER have too much. I highly recommend to max out your MacBook.

You should check out the Activity Monitor in the utilities folder to see how much ram is being accessed. If you see a number higher than "0" in the Page Outs section you should consider installing more ram. If it's a high number your hard drive is being accessed way too much and should be a no brainer to get more ram.

Regarding those numbers, are those for the basic footprint, or just what you see in top? It is very hard to determine the basic footprint just by using top, as the kernel may allocate extra resources to an app if they are available.

In fact, I'm not really sure what the best way is to determine the actual footprint of an app.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2006, 11:03 PM

In activity monitor it showed that Safari only used 12 mb for me

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 11:51 PM

A link to some good providers. But you pretty much gave me good ones. All I ever hear about is Crucial. Is there Ram really that much better than others? And how does Apple's RAM compare to others? Do you think I can find 2GB of RAM for less than $150. (isnt that what apple charges?)
Crucial is in the same class as Corsiar, Kingston, PNY, and other major retail brands. They all have lifetime warranties and all use high-quality chips. I would imagine that Apple's RAM is just rebranded/OEM RAM from one of the big brands with a higher price tag because it's "Apple certified". There are other, less publicized brands such as Mushkin and Elixir that you can usually only find online or at computer superstores like Fry's.

The main reason why people (at least, me...) suggest Crucial is for their excellent RAM wizard on their website. This is particularly useful when choosing RAM for a desktop computer. You have too many choices - SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, EEC, non-EEC. buffered, non-buffered... in some computers, EEC sticks won't even work. Thus, Crucial is the best one-stop-shop to check compatibility for different types of RAM. I usually swing by there, find out what RAM I need, and then find the actual memory cheaper elsewhere online.

It may very well be that you can't find a 2GB kit (two sticks of 1GB each) for less than $150. Laptop memory is considerably more expensive than desktop memory. My own experience has taught me to use matching pairs of RAM in a dual-channel memory setup like what is found in new computers these days; using mismatched pairs can sometimes result in erratic computer problems and other issues. Just a thought.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Crucial is in the same class as Corsiar, Kingston, PNY, and other major retail brands. They all have lifetime warranties and all use high-quality chips. I would imagine that Apple's RAM is just rebranded/OEM RAM from one of the big brands with a higher price tag because it's "Apple certified". There are other, less publicized brands such as Mushkin and Elixir that you can usually only find online or at computer superstores like Fry's.

The main reason why people (at least, me...) suggest Crucial is for their excellent RAM wizard on their website. This is particularly useful when choosing RAM for a desktop computer. You have too many choices - SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, EEC, non-EEC. buffered, non-buffered... in some computers, EEC sticks won't even work. Thus, Crucial is the best one-stop-shop to check compatibility for different types of RAM. I usually swing by there, find out what RAM I need, and then find the actual memory cheaper elsewhere online.

It may very well be that you can't find a 2GB kit (two sticks of 1GB each) for less than $150. Laptop memory is considerably more expensive than desktop memory. My own experience has taught me to use matching pairs of RAM in a dual-channel memory setup like what is found in new computers these days; using mismatched pairs can sometimes result in erratic computer problems and other issues. Just a thought.
thanks, I have not been able to find 2gb for 150. Crucial was about 400. I am going to upgrade sometime next week. Thanks everyone

panzer07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 11:28 AM

I bought 2GB of Buffalo RAM (and 160gb Hitachi HD) from Newegg for my White Macbook (it's out of stock now) about 3 weeks ago and it has worked great. No crashes in OS X or Windows under Bootcamp. Cost $92 for the first stick and $93 for second (ordered them 2 days apart once I found out Macbook prefers pairs. Apple 2GB upgrade is $350 as a secondary purchase. The $150 price is for (2) 512MB chips.

BTW, under bootcamp the Intel 950 uses 128MB and can support up to 224MB using Intel's dynamic RAM allocation for shared video ram.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 01:05 PM

thanks, I have not been able to find 2gb for 150. Crucial was about 400. I am going to upgrade sometime next week. Thanks everyone

Why waste your money? I'd find out first whether you actually need this.

Are you getting pageouts within top/Activity Monitor? Are you noticing your hard drive grinding away when you are locked up like that (this is a sign that it is using virtual memory).

If neither is the case, this RAM will not do much for you. 1 gig of RAM is a healthy amount, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. Sure, having more RAM always helps, but I don't suggest just throwing money at the problem and hoping that it will go away. The problem may have nothing to do with the quantity of RAM that you have installed.

Again, looking for that magic bullet will be a fruitless venture.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why waste your money? I'd find out first whether you actually need this.

Are you getting pageouts within top/Activity Monitor? Are you noticing your hard drive grinding away when you are locked up like that (this is a sign that it is using virtual memory).

If neither is the case, this RAM will not do much for you. 1 gig of RAM is a healthy amount, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. Sure, having more RAM always helps, but I don't suggest just throwing money at the problem and hoping that it will go away. The problem may have nothing to do with the quantity of RAM that you have installed.

Again, looking for that magic bullet will be a fruitless venture.
i'm a bit puzzled of what your asking

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2006, 01:00 AM

i'm a bit puzzled of what your asking

What part of what I wrote was unclear to you?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2006, 06:01 AM

Anyways does the 2GB of RAM make that big of a difference for using the basics such as Word, Firefox (Safari), Adium and iTunes?

No, the additional RAM will not be worth the expense for YOU.
That's all you need to know.

This thread has gone on far too long, especially since it was answered in the first reply.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2006, 08:51 PM

Then what couldbe the problem? I dont use that many apps. It randomally restarts almost daily, it takes forever to log on. AND I DO NOT LOOK AT PORNOGRAPHY

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2006, 08:53 PM

Then what couldbe the problem? I dont use that many apps. It randomally restarts almost daily, it takes forever to log on. AND I DO NOT LOOK AT PORNOGRAPHY

Why don't you read the responses and suggestions already made and respond directly to them if you have any questions? We've given you lots of things to look into and ideas for you to try.

If you are embarrassed to ask your questions, there should be a lot of stuff on virtual memory, page outs, etc. you can search for using Google. Look at what is slowing you down when things run slowly using top/Activity Monitor and this should reveal your problem. Either you are running out of real memory and resorting to virtual memory, or (more likely) you have a misbehaving app (the CPU percentages will indicate this).

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2006, 11:46 PM

I have done what eveyone has recommended. i have posted what it says. i put the activity monitor in my dashboard so if anything funny happens it will say like you said. what else should i do? what do you want me to tell you occurs in activity monitor. i told you what it says programs are running. it appears as if there is alot of virtual memory being used. at least 18 programs are using more than 300+ mb of virtual memory and 2-3 are using more than 400 mb and one is using 900+ mb. is that unusual?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 31, 2006, 12:13 PM

512 MB is nowhere near sufficient.

Normally I'd say 1 GB is sufficient but because it seems there are still memory leaks in stuff like Safari, sometimes it isn't enough. It's not because we NEED more than 1 GB for basic stuff, but there are problems in the software that eat up memory.

Plus if you use PowerPoint and Word and maybe light Photoshop, you REALLY limited with 1 GB. These Rosetta apps eat up a ton of memory.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2006, 04:53 PM

If it's randomly restarting it's not you, it's the computer take it in. It sounds like your still getting that random shutdown thing people were getting in the summer before apple fixed it. They said anyone that the firmware didn't help should take their machine in. Take yours in, 1gb ram is enough my gf's macbook feels no different then my 1.5gb ram macbook pro in most operations. Faster in some believe it or not.

Bring it in to apple tell the it randomly shutsdown at least everyday.
Have 1gb ram in your machine.

Then you'll be fine.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ecking01 View Post
If it's randomly restarting it's not you, it's the computer take it in. It sounds like your still getting that random shutdown thing people were getting in the summer before apple fixed it. They said anyone that the firmware didn't help should take their machine in. Take yours in, 1gb ram is enough my gf's macbook feels no different then my 1.5gb ram macbook pro in most operations. Faster in some believe it or not.

Bring it in to apple tell the it randomly shutsdown at least everyday.
Have 1gb ram in your machine.

Then you'll be fine.
Thanks all I do is use safari, adium, itunes, word and sometimes watch dvd's. So I guess I do not need 1GB of ram.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2007, 02:22 PM

Thanks all I do is use safari, adium, itunes, word and sometimes watch dvd's. So I guess I do not need 1GB of ram.
As time goes by your computer will tell you if and when it desires more ram. After all of these posts I don't think that anyone here was able to help you as you have answered your own question at the end and decided to remain with the same amount of ram that you started with.
So, again, over time your Mac will let you know when it's time for a ram upgrade.

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 12:06 AM

Try a machine (Macbook or MBP) and see what you think.

A friend of mine bought a 15 inch MBP and found my machine faster when multitasking. I just used the difference between the blackbook and the normal model towards 2GB.
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2007, 09:25 AM

Does anybody know how much it cost to upgrade from 1GB of Ram to 2GB of Ram at the Apple Store?
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2007, 01:55 PM

an arm and a leg...

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2007, 12:45 AM

Don't do it at the Apple Store... do it yourself.

Takes a couple minutes and costs 1/2 as much as purchasing it with 2GB of RAM. I got 2 1GB sticks at Tigerdirect.ca for $200 CDN.
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2007, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Arju View Post
Don't do it at the Apple Store... do it yourself.

Takes a couple minutes and costs 1/2 as much as purchasing it with 2GB of RAM. I got 2 1GB sticks at Tigerdirect.ca for $200 CDN.
nice, where? but when you install it it does not break the warranty correct? people have told me on here it doesn't but i have heard in person it does.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

TerryJ
Senior User
Jan 7, 2007, 12:28 PM

It does not void your warranty as the memory upgrade is a C.I.P., Customer Installable Part. If done correctly, your warranty is unaffected. Here is the link to Apple's website manual for full, detailed instructions.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...Memory_DIY.pdf
Terry J
Apple Certified Help Desk Specialist
Apple Product Professional
Apple Consultants Network

Forum Links
Forum Rules