Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > WD Scorpio 160 Gb - OK for Macbook?

WD Scorpio 160 Gb - OK for Macbook?
fluxam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 01:04 PM

WD Scorpio 2.5-inch SATA Hard Drive
160 GB, 150 MB/s, 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM
product page.
Will it work?
It can be got for $129.11 shipped, after rebates.
I had figured to put the existing 60 Gb drive in an external enclosure, preferably with both USB and Firewire connectivity. That's just for portable storage -- not to boot off. Does anybody have recommendations for that enclosure?

Bolero421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 04:21 PM

I have the 120gb model and it works perfectly fine, you shouldn't have any problems.
| White Macbook | 2.0GHz | 120GB WD HD | 1GB DDR2 RAM |
panum et circe

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2006, 11:10 PM

You might want to check this out:
http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...kernel-panics/

It works fine so long as you disable the motion sensor (at least for the 120). That said, even with motion sensor on the crashes are really infrequent, and aren't an indication of hardware failure. Western Digital's drives are ones I'd definitely trust for integrity over most others.
MacBook White 2.0 GHz, SuperDrive, 2 GB RAM, 120GB
-jsnyder

Bolero421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 01:49 AM

Aha, I had actually just been reading about the SMS - Scorpio conflicts. I have to say that while I have had 3 kernel panics as a result of this, none have occurred while I was actively using my laptop. In fact, I've just spent the better part of the last 10 minutes trying to force it to crash by shaking / tilting and generally abusing it (poor thing, I'm sorry ) to no effect. The only time I've gotten kernel panics resulting from the SMS / Scorpio problem is when I have shoved my laptop into my bag before it has fully gone to sleep after closing the lid.

I would still highly recommend the drive. I've used nothing but WDs for the past 6 years and have never had an issue with them. If its a problem, you can always just turn off SMS and let the hard drive do its own thing.
| White Macbook | 2.0GHz | 120GB WD HD | 1GB DDR2 RAM |
panum et circe

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 06:27 PM

Just for reference, this is what OWC says, who I bought the drive from. According to them, their engineers, western digital and apple confirm that this resolves the problem:

120GB 2.5" Scorpio 5400RPM SATA Notebook D... (WD1200BEVS) at OWC

(yes, it's a product page, look for the red text)
MacBook White 2.0 GHz, SuperDrive, 2 GB RAM, 120GB
-jsnyder

Forum Links
Forum Rules