Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Boot up speed

Boot up speed
phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2007, 01:44 AM

Well I was checking the benchmarks tests at barefeats and I've noticed the longest boot time for a mac pro was 20-21 seconds. The usual times were 17-18 seconds.
My machine takes much longer than that. 35-38 seconds!!
The setup is as follows
Mac Pro 2x2.66, 6GB, 2x250GB, Airport card, Bluetooth, Ati X1900XT 512MB of ram.

Do you think its the memory and the airport card that makes all the difference??

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2007, 01:58 AM

Are you running lots of additional programs at startup? look in System Preferences->Accounts and then look under the "Login Items" tab. You can unclick them and try rebooting to see how quick it is. You can then click the items again to reinstate them at startup.

phobos  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2007, 04:43 AM

No in fact it's just 3 things.
The linotype font explorer which takes gives an additional 2 seconds in boot time. the other things is the ical scheduler and the itunes helper.
And that's about it.
It takes a long while to begin the boot up process. When I open the machine it takes like 15seconds to show the white screen with the apple logo. All that time I'm looking at the white screen.
I'm guessing it takes a bit of time to check 6GB of memory and check for airport availability.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2007, 10:05 AM

Reboot, then open a Terminal window and look at the system log:

sudo tail -n 200 /private/var/log/system.log|less

Read the times and comments to see what is processing. Hit spacebar to see the next page, ESC-v to see the prior page, Q to quit. The -n 200 line selects the bottom 200 lines of the system log.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by phobos View Post
Well I was checking the benchmarks tests at barefeats and I've noticed the longest boot time for a mac pro was 20-21 seconds. The usual times were 17-18 seconds.
My machine takes much longer than that. 35-38 seconds!!
The setup is as follows
Mac Pro 2x2.66, 6GB, 2x250GB, Airport card, Bluetooth, Ati X1900XT 512MB of ram.

Do you think its the memory and the airport card that makes all the difference??
That's pretty much the same setup as mine and I'm sure mine boots up within 20 seconds.

Maybe it's having a hard time connecting to the network? How well is your reception.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Mike.Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2007, 10:34 AM

I'm having this same problem, but mine is taking at least 1 - 2 minutes to boot up. I do however have a lot of programs that load when the computer starts but even with those off it still takes around 40 - 50 seconds to boot up.

Specs are below.

MikeBowden.com: WordPress insights from a full-stack developer...

himself
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 02:54 PM

How many fonts are you using? If you've got a bunch (over a couple hundred), you may see some slowdowns, especially if some of the fonts are bad.

Another thing that it never hurts to try... repair permissions. There could be something relatively minor causing the slow down that would be fixed by this.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Mike.Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2007, 03:45 PM

Never thought about fonts being the cause. I've got well over 3,000+ fonts installed. Maybe I should narrow this down to only the system fonts and then install the rest of the fonts when I need them.

I'll give that a try and report back here.

My MacBook and my wife's iMac do not have anywhere near the amount of fonts on my Mac Pro and they both boot up very fast. Going to give this a try now.

Peabo
Senior User
Jun 19, 2007, 08:34 PM

I have 1000s of fonts and they slow down startup a lot.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 05:17 AM

Could also be drive fragmentation/suboptimal layout of system files. I did a full defragmentation of my MBP's drive and I halved my boot time (the spinning thing is on the screen for about 4-5 seconds, used to be 8-9).

phobos  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
That's pretty much the same setup as mine and I'm sure mine boots up within 20 seconds.

Maybe it's having a hard time connecting to the network? How well is your reception.
That's the strange part. The wireless router is in the same room and I'm getting half the signal strength....
But when I connect to an unprotected network the signal is extremely good...

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mike.Bowden View Post
I'm having this same problem, but mine is taking at least 1 - 2 minutes to boot up. I do however have a lot of programs that load when the computer starts but even with those off it still takes around 40 - 50 seconds to boot up.

Specs are below.
Are you running Shapeshifter by chance?

Mike.Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2007, 02:37 PM

I am now, but I wasn't before. No change in startup speed before it was installed and now that it is installed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules