Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > cool case find..

cool case find..
UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 02:19 PM

Just ordered two of these, nice quality, if a bit pricey...

Completely customized, & handstitched.

Vaja � 2007

[/QUOTE]
( Last edited by UnixMac; Aug 9, 2007 at 12:23 PM. )
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2007, 06:08 PM

I don't know. A case that puts the iPhone on your belt screen-out seems to be asking for trouble.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 07:48 PM

It looks nice but I think it is more important to protect the glass screen over the metal back.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 07:54 PM

all I want is a sleeve type thing like what comes with iPods.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
I picked up the Griffin holster style case. I was looking for the same thing, just a very simple sleeve case that I could throw my iPhone in when I put it in my backpack or something. I'm fairly happy with it. Functionally its great, protects, and leaves the buttons exposed for easy access. But aesthetically I'd like something a little more simple and sleek. The debossed pattern on it is kinda cheesy IMO. I really am looking for something exactly like what they include with the iPods. Very sleek and smooth black holster case.

I know Belkin makes one too. I haven't used that one though.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 09:41 PM

I use the Belkin Slim-Fit case.

It really is slim and easily allows removal of the iPhone by pushing up on the bottom of the case.

Belkin : Slim-Fit Case for iPhone

AlbertDeschesne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2007, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I use the Belkin Slim-Fit case.

It really is slim and easily allows removal of the iPhone by pushing up on the bottom of the case.

Belkin : Slim-Fit Case for iPhone
This is the case I am using until the sena cases (senacases.com) start shipping. I like it so far. I am also a large gentleman and it fits on my belt without digging into my side.
Albert Deschesne
Unibody 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, 9600M GT, 2 Gig Ram | OS X | WindowsXP (Games Only)
8 gig iPhone

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2007, 04:48 PM

This is a site I've seen that's close to what I'm looking for:

http://wrappers.typepad.com/ipod/app...one/index.html

That slim-fit case is close, though. Is that leather?

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2007, 04:30 PM

Is there any way to have a mobile-phone holster and still be cool?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon View Post
Is there any way to have a mobile-phone holster and still be cool?
Nope, no matter the leather colour.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 11:15 AM

I've purchased products from vaja before, they're expensive but do make quality products. I agree with the sentiment of having the screen out - not a good idea.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2007, 01:26 PM

That vaja case looks like a really bad idea to me. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. For belt carrying I got the incase one here through the Apple online store

Leather Folio For iPhone : Incase Products

I've been trying things for standard carrying and been disappointed so far. Everything interferes with putting it in the dock. Even the skins like invisibleshield, bestskinever, and bodyguardz are just too tight in the dock, it feels like it's going to break it's so tight.

I'm thinking of getting a sleeve for putting it in a pocket and using the incase when I don't have pockets available.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
That vaja case looks like a really bad idea to me. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. For belt carrying I got the incase one here through the Apple online store

Leather Folio For iPhone : Incase Products

I've been trying things for standard carrying and been disappointed so far. Everything interferes with putting it in the dock. Even the skins like invisibleshield, bestskinever, and bodyguardz are just too tight in the dock, it feels like it's going to break it's so tight.

I'm thinking of getting a sleeve for putting it in a pocket and using the incase when I don't have pockets available.
Have you had any problems with this case at all?
Some of the reviews (on the apple site and else where) say that the velcro or whatever holds the flap down wears down very quickly.
Also that the hole in the middle/bottom can be dangerous since a bit of the screen is revealed. It seems though you just have to be a bit careful about brushing up against things.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 19, 2007, 05:48 PM

I use a "flip-in" holster for my RAZR. I would NEVER wear a holster that presented the most fragile part of an iPhone. Just asking for trouble!

Now if they were to come out with one that went the OTHER way... that would be great!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2007, 07:45 PM

I haven't had a problem yet but I've only used it a few times so far. Seems like pretty standard velcro. As for the small amount of screen visible, it's true there is. But it's only a small sliver with the case bulk in front of it. To get anything to touch that small part of the screen would be pretty good feat. You would need something like a protruding nail and getting it perfectly aligned with the 1/8 inch or so part visible. Not impossible but pretty hard to do. But the opening at the bottom is very handy for getting the iPhone out. If something better comes along I'll probably get it, but this was the first one available in the horizontal style so I got it.

Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
Have you had any problems with this case at all?
Some of the reviews (on the apple site and else where) say that the velcro or whatever holds the flap down wears down very quickly.
Also that the hole in the middle/bottom can be dangerous since a bit of the screen is revealed. It seems though you just have to be a bit careful about brushing up against things.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2007, 08:14 PM

There is a Vaja case, a few actually, that are horizontal or vertical style, though they seem very expensive for just a simple case.
They look very good, solid, and look like they could hold up well, but for that price?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 08:21 PM

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2007, 03:34 AM

Hi Unimax, that does look cool, but has analogue SPRINKLES says there are some that cause scratches or heat issues!
Anyway here's my list of faveorites, althought iPhone isn't in Europe yet but they also for iPod's & Mac's.
iPhone Screen Protector | iPhone invisible SHIELD | invisibleSHIELD
Got iPod?. Get iSkin.
GelaSkins | Protect your iPod with Style. Not Bulk. - Home
iStyles > Which accessory? > Skins > iPhone Skins - iPod, PSP & DS Fashion Accessories
The first is all-round protection, 2nd & 3rd are also but not out yet gelaskins have designs on them, 4th is only style covers.
Their not has expensive has the laser-etch (not available in Europe) or hand painted, I think it's good to use this thread has a report on skins-protectors for all & what if any prob's they cause! Report back & tell how well your case protects?

NoBadBreaks9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 04:39 AM

i kinda like the idea of a normal cell phone sling

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2007, 05:11 PM

Bump
Wanting to bump this in hopes there are more finds out there, the ones here are good, but non seem exactly what I want & I do not want to settle for something especially with my new phone.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2007, 07:55 PM

I still haven't seen a really simple slim sleeve thing like what comes with ipods. Le Sigh.

handbent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2007, 09:34 PM

im trying to find the balance between price and functionality

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2007, 11:37 PM

I'm thrilled with this case. It's the Incase Fitted Sleeve. I've tried three cover solutions since iDay and this is the one I've stuck with.

It does have a belt clip, which I don't really use, b/c it leaves the glass front exposed. Since the glass is pretty robust, I just slip the whole thing in my pocket 95% of the time.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

suhail
Senior User
Aug 1, 2007, 06:44 PM

I bought a total of 8 cases from the Apple and AT&T stores. I got Griffins, Belkins, Incases, and two iQases a Side and a Skin.
In my opinion most cases look and feel cheap, except for the Side from iqase. I'm using that for now till the FLiP2 starts shipping. It has features that no other has, including the Sena. Check it out: iQase FLiP2

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 08:02 PM

Wow that looks, well dorky

suhail
Senior User
Aug 2, 2007, 02:00 PM

nah…
it's for businessmen and businesswomen, older crowd like myself.

freudling
Banned
Aug 3, 2007, 04:01 AM

All of the cases posted here suck. It is funny, as I was panning down through all the posts, and clicking the links... looking at all the cases, I thought, "These will scratch the iPhone... in and out... in and out..." Then the post comes up saying how they actually do scratch the iPhone.

What to do. What about the clear plastic ones?

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
All of the cases posted here suck. It is funny, as I was panning down through all the posts, and clicking the links... looking at all the cases, I thought, "These will scratch the iPhone... in and out... in and out..." Then the post comes up saying how they actually do scratch the iPhone.

What to do. What about the clear plastic ones?

they scratch too

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 11:33 AM

No belt clips for me: They come off too easily. Either they slip off when you're bending over, or getting out of the car, or the clip breaks eventually. Or you get pick-pocketed. There goes $600.

It would have to have a belt loop, some static, fixed, non-trickable attachment. Or it just always goes in the pocket.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 01:05 PM

I've been using the incase rubber molded case, and I don't have any scratches that people complain about. I just ordered the Marware rubber case, although I'm starting to think I should just put an invisible shield on it and forget about a case.

What I really liked about the incase was that most people didn't know it was an iPhone, so unless they saw me actively using it, they wouldn't give it a second glance.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2007, 09:00 PM

Just got the BSE and it's truly nice. Took me about 10 mins and the corners are no problem. Put the back and then the front. Wait until the corners get sticky and get a hair dryer. It'll stick in no time.

suhail
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 09:08 PM

I do not understand where these mystical scratches would come from. I've been using the Side from iQase for a long-while now, and I do not see any scratches, or the possibility for scratching.

bloggerblog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 09:30 PM

BSE sucks! It's too sticky for a multi-touch device, and if you stick-it in a case it stains.

UnixMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 01:24 PM

Cases came yesterday.. love the quality and feel. But I'm a bit concerned about the strength of the belt clip's ability to not fail incase I rub up against anything.

Anyone else get one of the clips and have any thoughts on it?
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

ROB2246
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 07:17 PM

Hi I received my Iskin Revo case last week. Well worth a look and 40.00 .

outdoor2extrm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 11:38 AM

I'm waiting on the case that OtterBox is coming out with. I think it should be here in a couple of months so if you can wait that long it's worth it. I use their case for my iPod and really like it. Here is the link to check out the iPhone design they are coming out with iPhone Case, Hard iPhone Case, Waterproof iPhone, Protective iPhone case, iPhone Rugged Case. Also you should check out my picture on OtterBox.com - Planet OtterBox with my OtterBox iPod case!

UnixMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 12:21 PM

that Otterbox seems like the real deal for a commercial user, very rugged..

btw.. I've since solved my problem with the screen being exposed with the Vaja case. I slapped an "Invisible Shield" clear screen protector it's now more or less armored. The shiny bezel being the exception, as it's still a bit exposed.
Apple user since 1981

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2007, 06:10 PM

I found one from Waterfield Designs. $9+$7 for shipping, which is probably insane for what it is, but it hits the mark of what I wanted. Very soft. A bit of thoughtful extra stitching up around the 'neck' of it for durability. Only protects against scratches, and is soft enough to kind of clean the screen everytime you put it in/take it out. Ringer isn't blocked too bad sound-wise in it.

iPhone Suede Jacket Case - iPhone Case - iPhone Sleeve - iPhone Soft Case - Minimalist iPhone Case

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2007, 01:13 PM

I found one from Waterfield Designs. $9+$7 for shipping, which is probably insane for what it is, but it hits the mark of what I wanted. Very soft. A bit of thoughtful extra stitching up around the 'neck' of it for durability. Only protects against scratches, and is soft enough to kind of clean the screen everytime you put it in/take it out. Ringer isn't blocked too bad sound-wise in it.

iPhone Suede Jacket Case - iPhone Case - iPhone Sleeve - iPhone Soft Case - Minimalist iPhone Case
I just ordered one myself (and a few more for other people)... but my iPhone hasn't arrived yet.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules