Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Tomorrow's the day!

Tomorrow's the day!
bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 10:38 AM

I can't imagine I don't have plenty of company today, with people wondering just what Apple has up its sleeve.

Personally, as I just told my daughter, I fully intend to be buying a new computer tomorrow evening. It may be a new imac or it may be a pro, depending on just what's introduced. I've now been waiting for more than 6 months to buy a new machine (expecting them in January, thinking they'd show up in APril, etc.). Yes, I know, people say if you need a computer, buy a computer. But I keep mine around a while, and as long as I'm buying something I wanted something new! It appears the wait may finally be over...

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 11:43 AM

How mad are you going to be when they say the new iMac wont be released for another 6 months.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 12:04 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't actually start shipping until September even though you'll be able to order them tomorrow.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
How mad are you going to be when they say the new iMac wont be released for another 6 months.
Well, I have to admit I'm a little worried about that! I don't think I can go another six months, so we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully SOMETHING updated will be introduced. Honestly, it's been a year (give or take).

But -- if apple introduces new machines and then says they won't be available until 2008, then I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy existing.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 12:11 PM

If Apple is introducing anything new in August, it's with the intent to catch the back-to-school crowd in September, so I'll be suprised if the new stuff doesn't show up in the next few weeks....

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
I can't imagine I don't have plenty of company today, with people wondering just what Apple has up its sleeve.
I'm making plans to hang out at my local Apple store early tomorrow afternoon during the announcement. I'd like to but a mac Mini, preferrably new and improved , but if they are discontinued I'll snag one before they pack them all up for return to Cupertino.

I was in the store last weekend and asked if "theoretically" I could buy a mini on Tuesday if they were dicountinued but still in stock at the store. I got a confused look from the store employee. Evidently she was unaware of the Tuesday event, but said if I wanted to buy one and they are in stock, it shouldn't be a problem. She also mentioned that I shouldn't take stock in the "rumor sites" regarding the discontinuation of the mini. That unless "it is on apple.com" then it isn't true.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2007, 01:04 PM

Remember that rumor sites... are rumor sites. If it's not on Apple.com that means that it might not happen.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't actually start shipping until September even though you'll be able to order them tomorrow.
These guys say they might not even ship before October. Of course they're the same guys saying Penryn iMacs and Penryn MPs will be introduced tomorrow...

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2007, 01:11 PM

"If Apple is introducing anything new in August, it's with the intent to catch the back-to-school crowd in September,'

A lot of students and parents buy computers a few weeks before school starts. In the South things start back up in August. There were huge lines at the Apple and Dell outlets in the mall near me in NC this weekend (tax freeweekend). Not having it out in July may have cost Apple some sales. Probably not though because the saps probably bought the outdated iMacs but still it would have been best to have the new flagship in the stores when the back to school shoppers started to come by.

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Remember that rumor sites... are rumor sites. If it's not on Apple.com that means that it might not happen.
Very true.

A quick check around some Apple resellers finds that for the mac Mini:

CompUSA - out of stock online and very limited or no availability at stores in the Midwest.
BestBuy - out of stock and unavailable in store
MacMall - available for $25 below retail
CDW - 1.66 available in 1-3 days, 1.83 available
ClubMac - in stock
MacConnection - in stock
Small Dog - 1.66 (4 available), 1.83 (3 available)

Something is probabaly going to happen either way - New or Discontinued
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

Mongoos150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
If Apple is introducing anything new in August, it's with the intent to catch the back-to-school crowd in September, so I'll be suprised if the new stuff doesn't show up in the next few weeks....
Back to school starts much sooner than September - heck, my university starts up August 20th. Most high schools start in August. BTS sales in the mall have begun in July. It would be silly for Apple to wait such a long time to release the machines. Parents (and college students) are buying school stuff NOW.
24" iMac 2.16GHz C2D

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post
Back to school starts much sooner than September - heck, my university starts up August 20th. Most high schools start in August. BTS sales in the mall have begun in July. It would be silly for Apple to wait such a long time to release the machines. Parents (and college students) are buying school stuff NOW.
Even more reason for Apple to have new stuff available sooner rather than later after the announcement....

Mongoos150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Even more reason for Apple to have new stuff available sooner rather than later after the announcement....
Yup. Here's to hoping... I've got my 24 incher on eBay as we speak!
24" iMac 2.16GHz C2D

Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 02:50 PM

One thing is definite: Something is happening to .Mac.

See here: http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/06/...h-media-event/

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 02:58 PM

We'll see iMac, Mac mini, dotMac, iWork, and iLife updates.

EDIT: a multi-touch mouse is a faint hope for me. Really faint.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Aug 6, 2007 at 05:11 PM. )

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 03:52 PM

It's probably just as well I have a meeting at 1 p.m. Tuesday, which is 11 a.m. California time. By the time I'm done with my meeting, the announcements will be made and I'll be able to ponder what to do next.

As for the back to school stuff, I agree with those who say many back to school sales have already taken place, at least in terms of college kids. High school might be a different story, but I'm also not about to shell out big bucks for a new computer for my kids. This time next year I'll have probably already purchased my daughter's computer for college. (She wants a MacBook Pro -- she'll be getting a lower-end machine, however...)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post
Yup. Here's to hoping... I've got my 24 incher on eBay as we speak!
Hopefully your auction ends before the event.

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
It's probably just as well I have a meeting at 1 p.m. Tuesday, which is 11 a.m. California time. By the time I'm done with my meeting, the announcements will be made and I'll be able to ponder what to do next.

As for the back to school stuff, I agree with those who say many back to school sales have already taken place, at least in terms of college kids. High school might be a different story, but I'm also not about to shell out big bucks for a new computer for my kids. This time next year I'll have probably already purchased my daughter's computer for college. (She wants a MacBook Pro -- she'll be getting a lower-end machine, however...)
If you're a university student, you're better off buying when you get to school, to make use of the educational discounts.

allblue
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2007, 05:02 PM

The indications for the 'Mac focussed" event tomorrow are very strong for the long-awaited new iMac. Hurrah, about time I say, but Apple have a problem here. Thanks to the iPhone/Leopard delay they will be releasing new machines with a soon-to-be-outdated version of the OS which is terrible PR at least. I could imagine switchers and Mac-heads alike moaning if they had to pay $129 for the OS just weeks after arrival of their machine, and even if Apple go against custom and ship with a free Leopard voucher it is still a bit messy, not very Apple-ilke.

Then there is iLife - version 6, 7.5 or 8? As 7/8 requires Leopard for full utilisation they will be shipping with an almost obsolescent version, or a version which needs the new OS to be at it's best. Not major issues really, but I bet they're a bit embarrassed by it all at Cupertino. Hopefully Apple will try to avoid stretching their engineering resources so thin in the future.

Of course the other option would be to delay the new iMac until October...
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

Stockcerts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 05:35 PM

Lets assume you buy a newly released Imac tomorrow. Is it possible that those purchases will get a free upgrade to the new OS due to the short period of time? I bought my daughter a new Dell for Christmas (hanging head low in shame), and it came with a free upgrade to Vista.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2007, 05:55 PM

It depends on when the iMac ships. If it ships right now then no. If it ships in October or maybe September maybe.

Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 06:07 PM

Knowing Apple, it will ship far enough away from Leopard to let them package Tiger with no Leopard voucher. If they shipped a voucher, they would lose TONS of leopard sales- everyone with a new iMac wouldn't be making that purchase.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Knowing Apple, it will ship far enough away from Leopard to let them package Tiger with no Leopard voucher. If they shipped a voucher, they would lose TONS of leopard sales- everyone with a new iMac wouldn't be making that purchase.
That's a very good point. It makes perfect sense that they would sell a bunch of new iMacs only to demand another hundred bucks a month later for the new OS.

Big Slick
Aug 6, 2007, 08:32 PM

Ya know...even though the new Imac might be coming out with the "stale" version of tiger, it's still a pretty stable platform ain't it? (I don't own one so I dunno)
As long as it comes with some upgraded bling I'm gonna use it as is and then pick up Leopard when most of the bugs have been squished.

aside: I see that Think Secret has some Imac pricing listed... (look at all those grains of salt!) ;-)
"Good things come to those who wait, but not to those who wait too late"

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stockcerts View Post
Lets assume you buy a newly released Imac tomorrow. Is it possible that those purchases will get a free upgrade to the new OS due to the short period of time? I bought my daughter a new Dell for Christmas (hanging head low in shame), and it came with a free upgrade to Vista.
Yeah but that's different. Microsoft has partners like HP, Dell, Sony and couldn't afford to disappoint them so the offer for a free Vista upgrade much earlier than normal was the only way to salvage HP, Dell and Sony's christmas sales.

Apple isn't trying to salvage christmas sales for the obvious reasons but it would be sweet if they offer a free Leopard upgrade for Mac buyers starting tomorrow.

Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 10:28 PM

If ThinkSecret is right, Ima go nuts. I want a 17" iMac for $899. At those prices, it's doable, and I think it would sell like hotcakes.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 11:41 PM

Doesn't Apple start including the option for the discounted upgrade to the next OS after they announce its actual ship date? ISTR that being the case. As it is now, we have no date, but a window that's 2-3 months away. Seems possible that they'll just finalize the date and include the discount vouchers for Leopard from tomorrow on.

I don't think the vouchers have been for a free upgrade since 10.1ish days.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Doesn't Apple start including the option for the discounted upgrade to the next OS after they announce its actual ship date? ISTR that being the case. As it is now, we have no date, but a window that's 2-3 months away. Seems possible that they'll just finalize the date and include the discount vouchers for Leopard from tomorrow on.
Nope, unless Apple changes its practices.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by allblue View Post
Thanks to the iPhone/Leopard delay they will be releasing new machines with a soon-to-be-outdated version of the OS which is terrible PR at least. I could imagine switchers and Mac-heads alike moaning if they had to pay $129 for the OS just weeks after arrival of their machine, and even if Apple go against custom and ship with a free Leopard voucher it is still a bit messy, not very Apple-ilke.
This is actually very normal. Apple is always shipping new machines before a new OS release. It's not until the official OS release date announcement that they begin including free OS upgrades with new hardware. I wouldn't expect a Leopard release date until at least late September.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 12:08 AM

Oh yeah, my bad. Apparently last time around, Up-To-Date discounts were available for Macs bought after April 12, 2005, when they announced Tiger's April 29 ship date. So I was right about the upgrade being available upon the release-date announcement, but wrong about the proximity.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 12:35 AM

Sooo... anybody wanna buy a 20" G5 iMac?

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Sooo... anybody wanna buy a 20" G5 iMac?
Not unless it's got an Intel Penryn 2.6 Ghz processor with an Nvdia GeForce 8600 GT GPU with 512MB Vram.

Forum Links
Forum Rules