Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 3, resource hog?

Safari 3, resource hog?
underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2007, 01:42 AM

WHY? is it using that much memory?
( Last edited by underwood; Oct 4, 2007 at 01:51 AM. )

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 02:29 AM

Wow, I just noticed Safari is currently using 742 MB! And I only have one window open (this thread). I don't know if this is normal or not. It's still a beta, perhaps there are memory leaks?

[Edit] I cleared the cache and reclaimed about 100 MB. I closed the only window that was open and got less than 50 MB back. Even with no open window, Safari was still consuming around 600 MB. I closed the app and reopened it and now the memory usage is around 50 MB. Apparently something doesn't get "flushed" from the memory as it should.

underwood  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2007, 02:44 AM

BTW CPU usage is 59% with just 4 tabs opened... ridiculous, even if its still beta.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 03:51 AM

130MB is not entirely unreasonable. iirc it sets the cache size at 128MB on systems with large amounts of ram anyway; browsers are just inherently rather large apps.

700MB on the other hand, is not. My guess would be that you'd been watching flash videos at some point? (youtube would do the trick, for example) There's a bug where Flash doesn't give memory back to the system when running in Safari. If you can reproduce the issue *without* Flash being involved, it'd be worth filing a bug at bugs.webkit.org about it (I already filed the Flash one, so no need to re-file if it's that).

As for the CPU usage, there's almost certainly something active going on in one of those web pages. Animation or calculation of some sort. You can probably drop it back down to 0-5% by figuring out which tab is hogging the cpu and closing it. Flash is a decent candidate for this one as well, although not a sure bet. <edit> If you know which page(s) were causing it, I can easily figure out what particular thing is using so much of the processor. </edit>
( Last edited by Catfish_Man; Oct 4, 2007 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Added a bit.)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 04:13 AM

I find it's a LOT better than Safari 2 was, both in CPU and memory usage.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I find it's a LOT better than Safari 2 was, both in CPU and memory usage.
Definitively! Safari 2 was bringing my machine to a crawl! It was beachballing quite frequently and for a long time. Version 3 works like a charm!

As for Flash usage, I don't remember watching Flash video since I launched Safari, but nowadays most ads are in Flash format so it's probably the culprit... [Edit] Since my earlier post, I only visited "regular" (non Flash-heavy) web pages and Safari is already using almost 400 MB.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 4, 2007, 05:33 AM

I find it a lot better on Memory than any other web browser I have tried. Firefox keeps leaking on me and crashing out of the blue, and Camino I can't even use for long periods of time without having to restart it.

My CPU and Mem usage in Safari is about nill.

Though I did notice the done on purpose camino shilling in the first post.

I bet I could come up with a screeshot showing the opposite.

underwood  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2007, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I find it a lot better on Memory than any other web browser I have tried. Firefox keeps leaking on me and crashing out of the blue, and Camino I can't even use for long periods of time without having to restart it.

My CPU and Mem usage in Safari is about nill.

Though I did notice the done on purpose camino shilling in the first post.

I bet I could come up with a screeshot showing the opposite.
ROFL, I've been a LONG time Chimera / Camino user like since Chimera was 0.3. I feel bad for switching to Safari and keep trying to find a GOOD reason to go back to Camino.

The screenshot was purely accidental because my PB suddenly slowed to a crawl so I was wondering if it was Photoshop, even tho its just running in the background. Well PH was using about 50mb, Safari is using over 160mb with 2 to 3 tabs and no flash content.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 4, 2007, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by underwood View Post
ROFL, I've been a LONG time Chimera / Camino user like since Chimera was 0.3.
I would have never guessed.
The screenshot was purely accidental because my PB suddenly slowed to a crawl so I was wondering if it was Photoshop, even tho its just running in the background. Well PH was using about 50mb, Safari is using over 160mb with 2 to 3 tabs and no flash content.
Was the comparing the two browsers next to each other in the screenshot accidental too?

I am glad my Safari doesn't use resources like that.
( Last edited by Kevin; Oct 4, 2007 at 06:33 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 4, 2007, 06:35 AM

As a matter of fact, as a type this, Safari, with three tabs loaded, hasn't went above 8% CPU usage or 45m of RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules