Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > speaker/woofer for Cube???

speaker/woofer for Cube???
SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2001, 03:14 PM

Is there a speaker/subwoofer combo that will work with the Cube?

Better yet is there a speaker/subwoofer combo that will work with the Cube running OSX???

Thanks,
Steve

silverlode
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2001, 03:39 PM

Harmon Kardon's Soundsticks. They come with stereo satellite's and the iSub as a woofer. Not only do they sound awesome (i have a set with my Quicksilver), but they'll match your Cube, asthetically. I've seen them for $170 to $200.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 05:05 PM

I got my wife an iSub for her Cube, and in 10.1 with the stock HK ball speakers, it sounds nice. An iSub can be had for ~$50.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2001, 05:21 PM

So in 10.1, can we now have more than one USB audio device? So can we connect both the Pro Speakers and an iSub seperately and have them both work?

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 10:49 PM

10-4 good buddy. Just like I said.
Wife's cube+usb pro speakers+usb iSub = gettin' jiggy with it!

frazzledglispa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2001, 11:28 PM

I have the sound sticks and they massively pound sand. Many of my friends who dig the trance music have been verily impressed by the crankage from the crystal stix.

Uhm, sorry, lost my normal personality to a mix of eras - the soundsticks are awesome with the cube, look great, sound fantastic.
Left suppresses right. Right suppresses left. So what's left? And what's right? - Cyndi Lauper

saltines17
Senior User
Nov 3, 2001, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
<STRONG>10-4 good buddy. Just like I said.
Wife's cube+usb pro speakers+usb iSub = gettin' jiggy with it! </STRONG>
WOAH, THIS REALLY WORKS NOW?!?!?!
It's not like I don't believe you, but really, can anyone else confirm this?!? I'd love to add the iSub to my Cube!!!!!!!!!!

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2001, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by saltines17:
<STRONG>

It's not like I don't believe you, but really, can anyone else confirm this?!? I'd love to add the iSub to my Cube!!!!!!!!!! </STRONG>
Yeah, this is Kristoff's wife , it really works. And with iTunes2 equalizer, it sounds great.

saltines17
Senior User
Nov 4, 2001, 02:15 AM

<STRONG>

Yeah, this is Kristoff's wife , it really works. And with iTunes2 equalizer, it sounds great.</STRONG>
WOW! THANKS!!
(Oh yeah, and enjoy )

SteveTech  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2001, 12:30 PM

This is very cool! Thanks for the advice... Now I have to get an iSub. I like the round speakers that came with the Cube, just not enough base response for my taste. Will the iSub work when plugged into a usb hub? I guess it has to considering the cube has only two usb ports.

Thanks again,
Steve

SteveTech  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2001, 12:32 PM

This is very cool! Thanks for the advice... Now I have to get an iSub. I like the round speakers that came with the Cube, just not enough base response for my taste. Will the iSub work when plugged into a usb hub? I guess it has to considering the cube has only two usb ports.

Thanks again,
Steve

joe
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2001, 10:36 AM

Wow, great thread! I just bought a Cube and had intended on selling my iSub along with my iMac. I'm not at OSX yet, but was planning to buy a copy this week anyway. Now I've got one more good reason Does the iSub show up in the Sound Control panel (or whatever X uses)?

For what it's worth, the iSub works through a non-powered XLR8 hub on my iMac. But the iSub does come with it's own rather hefty transformer anyway. So unlike the standard Cube speakers, it doesn't draw it's power from the bus............joe

jcarr
Senior User
Nov 5, 2001, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Elvin:
<STRONG>So in 10.1, can we now have more than one USB audio device? So can we connect both the Pro Speakers and an iSub seperately and have them both work?</STRONG>
Sorry, Elvin, I'm sure this is *not* what you want to hear, but I think you will need to get yourself an Apple display. You can connect the OEM HK speakers to the USB port on the Apple display (with keyboard), and then have two ports available on the Cube itself (one for the iSub, and one for USB hub, etc.)

Perhaps it's time to ditch your CRT for one of those new 17" Apple Studio Displays.

Has anyone had any luck connecting speakers to a USB hub? I know it does not work with my HK SoundSticks.
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2001, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by jcarr:
<STRONG>

Sorry, Elvin, I'm sure this is *not* what you want to hear, but I think you will need to get yourself an Apple display. You can connect the OEM HK speakers to the USB port on the Apple display (with keyboard), and then have two ports available on the Cube itself (one for the iSub, and one for USB hub, etc.)

Perhaps it's time to ditch your CRT for one of those new 17" Apple Studio Displays.

Has anyone had any luck connecting speakers to a USB hub? I know it does not work with my HK SoundSticks.</STRONG>
Wong.
The iSub works fine from my wife's D-Link USB hub. So, she has the ball speakers and the hub plugged into her cube. Then she has her keyboard, iSub, Scanner, and Kodak DC-290 in the hub, and the mouse and plam cradle in her keyboard (tho' she hasn't been synching with the palm since the move to 10.1).[/LIST]

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2001, 05:07 PM

The difference is you may need a powered USB hub. The speakers require a little extra power, which Apple displays provide, but nonpowered USB hubs don't. Just a guess

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2001, 05:20 PM

This is all cool stuff, here's what I've setup....

Griffin iMic set to sound out and a regular PC sound system plugged into it (mine is actually one of those flat panel systems with a sub-woofer, to coin a phrase "I had better", oops! "I've heard better"). Sorry the really cool thing is in 10.1 I can set my round cube speakers (???) to a medium to low volume and use them exclusively for the Alert sound and have iTunes jamming on the Flat panel speakers.

Sorry if everyone already knew you could do this, I think it is soooo cool!.

Oh yeah, USB setup, 'cause I'm using a 19" CRT;

Port1 ---&gt; Cube speakers
Port2 ---&gt; Apple Pro Keyboard
--&gt; USB HUB1
--&gt; USB HUB2

USB HUB1
--&gt; Agfa Snap Scan
--&gt; HP DeskJet 895CXi
--&gt; Palm Craddle
--&gt; MS Intellimouse Explorer

USB HUB2
--&gt; Griffin iMic
--&gt; Xlr8 USB video bridge (doesn't work in OS 10.1)!

Plus I have two ports open!

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: CyberGreg ]
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

SteveTech  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2001, 02:20 PM

<STRONG>

Wong.
The iSub works fine from my wife's D-Link USB hub. So, she has the ball speakers and the hub plugged into her cube. Then she has her keyboard, iSub, Scanner, and Kodak DC-290 in the hub, and the mouse and plam cradle in her keyboard (tho' she hasn't been synching with the palm since the move to 10.1).[/LIST]</STRONG>
Kristoff, thanks for clarifying that. I think I'm going to grab an iSub this weekend...

-Steve

p.s. you can sync your palm in 10.1, if you have classic running and the palm extension(s) active in classic. I do it all the time now.

<saturnsk>
Nov 7, 2001, 12:38 AM

<STRONG>

It's not like I don't believe you, but really, can anyone else confirm this?!? I'd love to add the iSub to my Cube!!!!!!!!!! </STRONG>
So, what about the Soundsticks & Sub with the Cube speakers? If the USB cube speakers will work with the iSub, why not with the SoundSticks system also (in 10.1 of course). Anyone tried/done this?

<saturnsk>
Nov 7, 2001, 12:40 AM

<STRONG>

So, what about the Soundsticks & Sub with the Cube speakers? If the USB cube speakers will work with the iSub, why not with the SoundSticks system also (in 10.1 of course). Anyone tried/done this?

Hylton Coxwell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 10:42 PM

I also have an iSub attached to my Cube. Sounds great in OSX 10.1, but I can't seem to get it to work at all in OS9.

Has anyone gotten theirs to work under OS9? The only reason I care is because Diablo II:LOD isn't carbonized yet, and UT OSX Preview is too flaky to play yet ...

Thanks in advance!

Hylton

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2001, 11:00 PM

Nope....it won't work under 9.x. Just 10.1

<Lertsiri Boonmee>
Nov 9, 2001, 02:13 AM

Just thought that this entry is cool but a bit pricey! Today I was given a Marantz tube amplifier/reciever/tape deck/ 4 way speakers with the 12 inch subwoofers super tweeters midrange and high range speakers all built into a walnut casing as high as my chest! The only thing was that it wasn't in operation for about 20 years! So naturally, the foam around the 12 inchers were all deteriorated. So for the price of a good Cambridge desktop sound system, I went out to Best Buy and purchased a pair of 12" RockFord Punches and some extra RCA to mini plug wiring. I removed the old 12" and replaced it with the Punch 12 within a matter of minutes. Then I wired it all so that from my Powerbook VCR and a future G5 (I hope they come soon!) miniplug output could be connected to the back of the tube amps. Then I fired them up! WOW just the light show was stunning, in bright blue and orange, the sound was like, well a good home theater! Really loud and the bass was really deep. So naturally I hooked up the S Video cable to the 27 incher TV screen from the PowerBook 500 DV and played the Ultimate TERMINATOR 2 DVD! Holy cow! I had a blast (Literally!) Now, my system seems complete!
For movies, I run them off the Powerbook DVD drive in the above configuration.
For pure music, the Sony RZ900 Portable Recordable MiniDisc going straight into the Marantz amps!
For Mini DV playback, from the Sony VX2000 E (Pal) video is direct into the PAL NTSC digital converter Aiwa MX100 VHS system and then into the NTSC Phillips 27 inch TV while the sounds go straight from the MiniPlug into the Marantz Amp.
Next up, a Roland or Korg Digital Piano, and then my mini system is set. Mini Movie comming soon! MINI DV format Pal transfer to film.

Forum Links
Forum Rules