Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > booting from USB flash drive -- which drive to get?

booting from USB flash drive -- which drive to get?
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Oct 23, 2010, 08:23 PM

I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. Encouraged by Apple's example of including a bootable flash drive with the new MacBook Air, I'd like to install a minimum Snow Leopard system on a USB flash drive for the purposes of running Disk Utility and Disk Warrior... This should work fine on my MacBook Pro, correct?

But which flash drive should I get? To keep costs low, I'm thinking of a 16 GB drive. The two I'm considering are:

1. Lexar Echo SE 16GB
2. Patriot Xporter XT Boost 16GB

The Patriot is considerably cheaper ($21 after rebates) and has a lifetime warranty. Speeds appear to be similar.

Can anyone weigh in or recommend something else? USB flash drives seem much cheaper than SD cards...

Cold Warrior
Oct 30, 2010, 05:07 PM

I'm sure either of those are fine for your needs.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2010, 05:52 PM

I recommend the Patriot XT. Very fast drive and have had several versions over the years all going strong. Only downside is I have lost the cap a few times (they sent me a couple for free when I emailed Patriot)

I am seeing about 24MB Read and 12MB Write in real-world usage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules