Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wich case would you choose for the TiBook?

Wich case would you choose for the TiBook? (Page 3)
HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 16, 2001, 02:53 AM

I e-mailed Bugs Bunny several photos of MightyBook in the aluminum style case. Maybe he can help post them here. The side compartment has space for cords, but not the flying saucer power supply.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2001, 04:28 AM

Titanium 007 case, courtesy of HouseSold
Looks great. HouseSold, how much was it?

[This message has been edited by Bugs Bunny (edited 03-16-2001).]

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2001, 04:52 AM

HouseSold

did you buy the case here: http://www.shoplet.com/hardware/cgi-...c4968984732835

if so i just may get that case for that price. i dont think i can pull of the briefcase look that well but i think itll shock people even more when i roll up with one of these and then pull a Ti out of it.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 16, 2001, 11:45 AM

Fobside

Sharper Image shipped sooner to me and Shoplet.com was out of stock, but I left my order in anyway.

I have yet to not receive awesome looks or comments when opening this case and taking out MightyBook for a presentation. My Pismo isn't even noticed when I bring it for presentations.

There is room for the original Coolpad from Roadtools also, separated by a sheet of white cardstock, to fit in this case.

I have more photos that I sent Bugs, that I didn't succeed in posting.

Dick Gillberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2001, 12:14 PM

As a photographer I would go for Lowepro Stealth AW a backpack for your Ti and camera gear. http://www.lowepro.com/images/PPages...ealth_open.jpg

Dick

heydt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2001, 01:02 PM

Eyeballing the 007 case pics, observations:

(Particularly if your new bag is used to "protect" your Powerbook, and not merely to display, or be fashionable - it IS possible to have everything)

Doesn't appear to be enough room to afford a sleeve.

If that case gets dropped, the PBTi will still slam into the (hard) side/corner between it and the ground.
Keep in mind, your book came to you in a biga*s box with two inches of styrofoam between the outside and the unit. I would recommend finding a travel solution that affords a similar LEVEL of safety, if not in the same fashion.

Also, the shipping/storage box itself is cardboard, which will absorb impact. A hard case will transfer too much of that energy to its contents. Which is why a sleeve or otherwise substantial padding is necessary.

If you choose to actually use any of those media/utensil slots, you will scratch the sh*t out of your cover.
I'll bet the pocket seams will likely do that anyway.
Also, there doesn't appear to be room enough for the puck, power cord, an extra battery, or really much of anything except perhaps a magazine.

Just some initial thoughts.

heydt's PBTi travels in style like a pampered Egyptian feline - and yes, it will be buried at my side.:
Waterfield sleeve case (Gary, your flooding the forum with anonymous raves worked like a charm!) http://www.sfbags.com
All components (spare battery, cables, power puck, optical mouse) each get their own small/medium Waterfield accessory case.
All of the above fit snug into the Boblbe�e Megalopolis Millenium. http://www.boblbee.com
Only complaint is that most of the media pockets inside the Boblbee are just about useless - bigger pockets would have been a nice touch.

On one hand, I still never had that bullet-proof aluminum Zero that I thought was cool ever since when.
However, on the other hand (actually an armload) instead, I have a case that EVERYONE thinks is the wildest thing they've ever seen (that someone they know would actually use/wear). So, yes, it is not as simply elegant as a Zero (or imitation style), but it is equally impressive, far more versatile, and is more rugged and comfortable than a briefcase (it has a handle at the top or can be carried one shoulder or two). Additionally, it has an eyeglass compartment as well as a cell phone attatchment.

werd

[This message has been edited by heydt (edited 03-16-2001).]

RabidClwn
Mar 16, 2001, 02:17 PM

Yeah, Shoplet is backordered now. Nice of them to post that at the time I purchased. Oh, wait. They didn't . Told you I'd have to see how they were. I went to their Customer Service area and posted a request for an update on the Backorder. No reply other than the automated response as of yet, but its only been a half hour.

I went to the Sharper Image site, but I couldn't change the shipping method when I went to get pricing - after entering all of my billing and shipping information. Ironically there was no shipping method selection on the shipping page. I may have to go down to the brick-and-morter store to see if they have one.

Now I'm stuck toting my TiBook around without a case until it comes.

I don't like the Boblbee. Its not my style and it costs waaay to much. I have to work in an office full of clones. The idea is to outclass them. The Designer 1 does that - the Boblbee just looks odd. I want a case, not a backpack. Putting a handle on the top doesn�t make it a case.

As for the safety factor, there is as much padding in there as there is in the standard, cubicle clone, Targus bag; judging from the photos that Bugs took. *thanks bugs* I don't plan to go hiking with my computer anytime soon. Nor will I be sending through the mail to where I�m going. That�s why its packaged that way. It traveled from Taiwan to Arizona by who knows what methods.

When I travel, I plan to carry it on, so it won't suffer there. I will also be carrying a day bag that I can pack the extra supplies in, so I don't need any extra storage. But just going home at night, the saucer power supply fits nicely in my back pocket and there is room for the cord in the case.

I tried using the supply storage units in my first briefcase (when I wanted to be a corporate climber). The pens and pencils always fell out anyway. From what I understand, the guts are removable from this case, so they are going to come out. If they aren't, I plan to use my mother-in-law�s stitch-puller to remove them permanently. They're worthless in any bag.

Also, I plan to stick that white apple logo on the outside of the case, right where it is on the TiBook. Nice little added touch, don�t ya think?

But first, I have to get it. Stang!

RabidClwn
Mar 16, 2001, 02:25 PM

Guess I'm off to Sharper Image. Never shop at Shoplet.com

Here is the response I just got.

Dear (RabidClwn):
Please be advised that the product that you have ordered:
��������� 1 x 520607:SLIM ALUMINUM COMPUTER CASE W/
�has been discontinued by the vendor. We are unable to process your order at this time. Please be advised that we are cancelling your order. We hope that we can assist you in the future.
Thank you,
Customer Service www.shoplet.com
Bastids!

HouseSold... If you ordered from there too, you probably have the same thing going on.

What a terrible site.

heydt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2001, 03:36 PM

"Style" is very personal. The idea of carrying the puck in my back pocket seems rather "odd" to me.
And if what cubicle peers think of your style/class has such a high degree of urgency, wait until you're ready. I don't believe anyone should buy something that will make them feel uncomfortable.
Buy what you like.

This isn't the "Wich case whould I choose for under $50" thread.
There are options at every reasonable price level.
For bargain hunters, I would recommend a Spire Zoom XL - a steal at under $150 (including shipping).
I wouldn't trust a $40 bag to hold my lunch.

And I "ship" my Bad Oscar twice per day - in the trunk of my car.
Any misfortune that a shipper could inflict upon my case can certainly be done by me, or my family, or a coworker, or a colleague, or even a stranger. Shoot, I wouldn't put it past the UPS driver to sneak into my office and toss my bags around just for kicks.

Having to carry a day bag (read: "purse")along with it seems a bit self-defeating.
I haven't been "hiking" yet this year. And if I never did, I would enjoy the idea that if the opportunity ever presented, I could bring along my "book" without worry.

Regarding the Vanguard Designer 1: With an inside dimension of 1.875" you will NOT fit squat in with your PBTi without squatting (pun intended) to get it to close. The power adapter won't fit, nor a mouse, nor external drives, nor (portable) printer, etc...

My Anthro console desk can certainly be considered "odd."
The iMac is a clear candidate for "odd."
As well as any Porsche, Oakleys, or my American made Fender Strat.

"Odd" is not for everyone.

[This message has been edited by heydt (edited 03-16-2001).]

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 16, 2001, 04:41 PM

RabidClwn,

After ordering at Sharper Image online, I called and verified everything.

It is shipped from Livermore, Calif. and they are still made and have stock.

It came as promised a few days later and is adequately cushioned for business use (as I use it)

The Timbuk2 sleeve is high density foam and protects well for 'those other times' of transporting.

I never gave Pismo this much of a 'travel wardrobe'.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2001, 02:36 PM

Did anyone run into any case that could hold the TiBook, plus a scanner about the same size as the TiBook?
I have a Canon N1220 scanner, and I would like to carry it with the PowerBook.
< http://consumer.usa.canon.com/scanne...ndex.html>.

The scanner is:
10.1" x 14.7" x 1.3"
The TiBook is:
9.5" x 13.4" x 1.0"

I am looking for the smallest possible carrying case, but also the safest one. Both the TiBook and the scanner was designed to be very light and portable, now the question is: are there any cases that can carry both of these at the same time?

eksimo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2001, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by heydt:
Eyeballing the 007 case pics, observations:
heydt's PBTi travels in style like a pampered Egyptian feline - and yes, it will be buried at my side.:
Waterfield sleeve case (Gary, your flooding the forum with anonymous raves worked like a charm!) http://www.sfbags.com
All components (spare battery, cables, power puck, optical mouse) each get their own small/medium Waterfield accessory case.
All of the above fit snug into the Boblbe�e Megalopolis Millenium. http://www.boblbee.com
werd
does the ti really fit into the megalopolis? i tried today in a store - and it was rather tight [without the waterfield sleeve], with the ti either too tall by about 2cm [as the lid of the megalopolis is flexible it still does work] or the ti fully inserted, which might cause it to be scratched on the very bottom, where the megalopolis narrows down + the ti starts touching the hardshell as the flexible back plate can go forth + back... are there different sizes of the megalopolis?

can you maybe post some hands-on reports?

thanx in advance: eksimo

heydt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2001, 02:49 AM

Yes, it really does fit into a Megalopolis.
I would not recommend dropping the PBTi into ANY case without the pampering of a sleeve case.
The inside of the Megalopolis has zippers, velcro, seams, and of course, it is large enough to carry all sorts of things that long to scratch your PBTi's finish to sh*t.

That being said, I also have a wonderful Waterfield sleeve. And, although it is a perfect fit to the PBTi, it is NOT a perfect fit into the backpack. This is because the sleeve has an otherwise ingenious feature of extending its outer shell (yes, the sleeve is a two-ply - core of neoprene sewn to a shell of "ballistic" (yawn) nylon) a half inch on either side of the book. So, though the neoprene hugs the book like cozy squirrel, the outer shell puffs out just a bit for extra protection in case of accident. Anyway... this puffed outer sleeve shell requires me to shove (gently) the whole thing into the heart of the Megalopolis and the two velcro straps just barely make it over the top to their counterpart fasteners.

But, not being entirely satisfied, I want those velcro straps to not just meet their pads, but COVER them (really seat well - I get the feeling I'm getting my money's worth out of the technology (velcro)). So, in order to manage this, I must "crush" the top half-inch of sleeve down just a bit to facilitate this idiosyncrasy - I'm fairly certain that the velcro bits just meeting half-way would be enough, but the sleeve's not complaining, so I humor myself.

End result:
The PBTi does not "touch" the hardshell. In fact it is now (when secured) suspended fully 1 inch (or more) from any edge. The edges themselves are hard (sides/bottom) or soft (lid), but they all have a bit of extra padding. The sleeve serves a dual function of "velvet glove" and "steel wrapper."
If I dropped this thing from the roof of my garage onto the driveway, I would be very confident that all survive well. (Would I do it intentionally? - Hell no.)

Also, be aware that although the Megalopolis are all the same shape/size/dimensions, there is more than one type of Boblbee.
There are in fact several that I have seen/heard being used to hold a PBTi.

The People's Delight is a tad smaller than the Megalopolis but retains the same shape. The Scorpia is much smaller still, with a similar Swedish style. And finally, the Scarabee, which is a teensy little thang.

TiGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2001, 11:48 PM

I guess that everyone has his or her personal taste as to which type of case they liked to transport their Powerbook. Some prefer the airtight-drive-a-truck-over-it, cases like the Pelican 1490cc while others go for the James Bond-like Zero Halliburton Z series. I preferred a stealth bag. I carried my old Pismo in a spireusa.com Endo. I managed to squeeze the TiBook into the Endo bag, but it was just too snug. I contacted spire and they replied that new Endo-like bag that would fit the the Powerbook G4 would be out in a month or two. Great news, but I needed something now.

I ordered a G4 sleeve from sfbags.com. All good stuff everyone listed about their great service is absolutely true. The sleeve fit perfectly and service was great. I then ordered a custom Timbuk2 messenger bag in the El Ocho size with a center divider and bottom compression straps. The sleeve fits perfectly into the back compartment: the width and depth were right on. By the way. I ordered the bag on a Monday in a custom configuration, i.e., my color schemes and sewn in features. The bag arrived two days later on Wednesday. Now if Apple could do something like that... Check them out at timbuk2.com. - their stuff is super durable and pretty cheap considering everything is made to order.

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 22, 2001, 12:26 AM

I'll second that notion about Timbuk2; their products and service are great and being able to communicate with someone (Brennan Mulligan) is priceless.

A word of caution on some Sleeves:

They are designed to fit snuggly; sometimes too snuggly rubbing off the feet sometimes on your TiBook.

pixlart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2001, 02:03 AM

I've spent quite a bit of time researching this very topic for my G4/500. A laptop carrying case is obviously a
highly personal choice. Some folks go for the James Bond Halliburton
look, others gravitate towards the "Look At Me" Boblbee backpack. Any
one suggestion won't appeal to all.

I finally settled on a Tumi Safecase
Slim Adjustable Computer Brief (Style 2635). The "Safecase" is Tumi's
patented sling suspension system that is an internal sling made of
neoprene. There is an additional inch or so of air space between the
sling and the bottom of the ballistic nylon case.

Oddly, Tumi's own site has rather poor visualizations of their carrying
cases. They are all done as simple line art, which doesn't give you a
good impression of how they actually look. I dug around before buying
and found this site which has a good photo of the 2635:
http://www.rapps.com/cases4.html

External measurements are 17.5" X 13.5" X 4"and it offers a perfect fit that
hugs the TiBook in the sling. I read somewhere during my research
that this bag had been drop-tested and passed a 30" drop with success.

The sling, btw, has a pair of zippers for adjusting the fit for other
laptops, but when zipped up, it accomodates the TiBook perfectly. The
center section also will hold additional papers and files.

The Tumi also has a large outside u-zip pocket w/ organizer panel,
additional computer disk and accesories pocketw, and a back zip pocket.
And it has a handyclip to attach your keys during travel.

The construction, being Tumi, is excellent. This bag is not cheap, it
costs $300. A leather model is also available for an additional $200.
Having spent $3500 on a laptop, I feel that a $300 investment to protect
it is definitely worth it. As they say, "You get what you pay for."

Finally, I choose this carrying case for its stealth appearance. It is
stylish without attracting attention. Other than the luggage tag with
the Tumi logo on it (which is easily replaced), there is nothing
screaming "Steal Me!". about it.

-john

dgs212
Mar 26, 2001, 03:41 PM

Does anyone have any information on the durability and protectivity (not a real word) of the Sumdex iBrief? While it might not hold a Ti snugly (as it's made for iBooks...ugh), it does have a lot of storage space. It's either that or the Willow Designs Ti Bag for me...

Sumdex http://www.sumdex.com/non-827.htm - product description http://www.sumdex.com/non-827_det_.htm - detailed view http://www.sumdex.com/non827bb.htm - other colors

Willow Design http://www.willowdesign.com/NL-11.html

tpmchugh
Mar 29, 2001, 02:25 PM

I just got my G4 lap dog bag from www.tombihn.com. They had been back-ordered. It is a very nice fit and will protect from scratches, etc. It is small enough that you can carry it in a bookbag or briefcase, yet it can also be carried using the enclosed carrying handle or straps. For $45 I am very happy with it (and it was designed specifically for the Ti-book. For the cost, I don't think you can beat it.

zorg128  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2001, 03:40 AM

After a very long search, I have nearly found the perfect TiBook bag

go there

I fits perfectly, is in leather, as a sleeve case that takes place in the rear pouch. Doesn't look like a neerd bag. Is small but big enough for the TiBook, it's accessories and some documents and books.
Realy perfect. And it costs only 250 DM if you order directly in the factory in Germany.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 04:15 AM

Got 3 bags, much better than zorgy128,
and they don't look like back packs.

[This message has been edited by Bugs Bunny (edited 03-30-2001).]

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by Bugs Bunny:

like this one a lot but $399? hmm....

------------------
Promote Chicken Randomness

zorg128  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2001, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Bugs Bunny:
Got 3 bags, much better than zorg
Hold your mouth Bugsy! I was looking for a
backpack because I consider that they
are much more functional than other bags.

And this was the best backpack I found.

[This message has been edited by zorg128 (edited 03-30-2001).]

Apr 1, 2001, 10:41 PM

to:<[email protected]>

I don't know if you saw any of my posts, but I have been designing a bag specifically for the Titanium.

I am a production designer and became very frustrated while trying to find an attractive, small case. Not wanting a "james bond" aluminum brief case, I finally decided to design my own.

I should have my web site finished by Tuesday. <www.nubaggage.com> The site is functional, but doesn't have any images of the bag yet.

I pick up the prototype tomorrow. I will be made of saddle leather and will be roughly the same size as the Waterfield Thinset case, except it will have space for cd's and a USB powered zip.

mismith44
Apr 2, 2001, 03:45 PM

I have two questions regarding bags for Ti:

1. Backpack style vs. Messenger Bag

my Ti is my first laptop and wondering what people like better to carry. I am a student and will probably be carrying books, and whatever else. I will rarely need to carry peripherals or anything except the power adapter.

2. Timbuk2

has anyone had any experience with these messenger bags. They just came out with a computer commuter bag. Do you think it is better to go with a reg. messenger bag and get a sleeve to go inside. or to get the one with the computer pouch built in.

Thanks.

MS.

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2001, 12:12 PM

Don't go the separate sleeve in the messenger bag route. It flops around too much inside the bag. An integrated compartment might be better, but I still found the bag kept bouncing against my back as I walked.

I vote for a backpack. Boblbee is very protective and extremely comfortable but pricey. Soft backpacks aren't as protective, but tend to be cheaper.

[This message has been edited by Titanium Man (edited 04-03-2001).]

kidatari
Apr 4, 2001, 03:31 PM

I was going to go for the Waterfeild case, but I just got a Sony DSC-P1 digital camera (f'ing awesome ) and I need a case with room for both. I might still go with a pelican case, still debating. Anyone got any other suggestions?
-- kidatari
-- kidatari(at)earthlink.net

Kosmo
Senior User
Apr 5, 2001, 01:01 PM

I just received the Watefield sleeve/bag combo for review and my first impression of this bag is that it is THE right bag for the G4 TiBook. Not only is it sturdy and functional, it is a beautiful bag.

Look for my review next month in MacFever ( www.macfever.com)

Kosmo

http://www.macnet2.com

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2001, 01:54 PM

Zorg 128, where can I order one of the bags you posted on the previous page? http://homepage.mac.com/amendolaa/PhotoAlbum.html

Originally posted by zorg128:
After a very long search, I have nearly found the perfect TiBook bag

go there

I fits perfectly, is in leather, as a sleeve case that takes place in the rear pouch. Doesn't look like a neerd bag. Is small but big enough for the TiBook, it's accessories and some documents and books.
Realy perfect. And it costs only 250 DM if you order directly in the factory in Germany.

------------------
Peace,
Brad
bradperkins.net

Apr 8, 2001, 12:42 PM

i have posted pictures of my prototype bag on a new site
http://www.nubaggage.com

I don't have pictures of the equipment tray, but it will hold:

usb zip /
power supply /
3 cd's /
full size mouse /
spare battery /

check it out and give me impressions.

paul

zorg128  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2001, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by zorg128:
Help me, I've still no clear idea what case I schould choose for my TiBook when it arrives (if it arrives, one day!).

Lehonard Heyden "Function Rucksack with Laptop (3360)" seems to be pretty cool...

Here is the link (if ebags database still works): http://www.ebags.com/products/index....ctPageLink=Bag

Send your best deals, or better, your picture with the TiBook in your bag.

Thx

[This message has been edited by zorg128 (edited 03-04-2001).]

The model I have now is the same but not in thrue leather.

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 9, 2001, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by 22350:
i have posted pictures of my prototype bag on a new site
http://www.nubaggage.com

I don't have pictures of the equipment tray, but it will hold:

usb zip /
power supply /
3 cd's /
full size mouse /
spare battery /

check it out and give me impressions.

paul
How heavy is the bag? Leather looks very durable and design is very upscale. The appeal is for the more polished type it seems. Nice job on the color choice as well.
Personally, my only use for a briefcase would be to protect the Ti during transportation (vanguard designer 1 from Ebay). I'll use a back pack to carry it about for general use but I might consider a purchase because it looks so nice.

A similarly constructed model in a canvas or leather backpack might appeal to additional users.

good luck with your new venture

"-Dodge This"

Victoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 01:04 AM

I have now shopped on the internet and also around town for the right Pouch or Sleeve (only) for my new Ti - it appears that the best are =- the Pouch (thanks for the great pics that do it justice) - Waterfield - Tumi - I really need to find something very thin and yet providing some padding - I am always quite gentle to begin with =- looks like the Neoprene stuff works best = but what do I do about the accessories (just the power port will be a problem no doubt)- so, keeping it thin, solid or at least protective, good to insert into another briefcase or holder -= other choices???
Victoria L. Herring, Attorney at Law

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 01:34 AM

The large Laptop sleeve from goincase.com is terrific. It has a removable strap, and the zipper does not touch the computer.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2001, 01:35 AM

I really like this case, it has a place for everything Is anyone using this case?

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 06:35 AM

Cteselle, I really, really like that bag that Bugs showed you. You said you found it for $399 - where?

Thanks

Neil
I no longer have a signature.

iDoctor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 08:45 AM

Hi all,
I am looking for a designer sleeve for my TiBP .. something like LV or Gucci .. anybody have seen anthing suitable around?
Thanks

yhsu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 01:37 PM

Kosmo... and any others with the Waterfields...

Which Cargo Bag did you go with? The Medium or the Large? I notice that the only difference btwn the 2 is the depth of the bag (3" v. 5.5") and the semi-hard status of the Large (which also has a divider built into the main compartment).

I've been contemplating which one to get. The SleeveCase is already a must buy, but if the Medium Cargo is great then I'll go for the Sweet Spot deal they have on the website. Otherwise, I'll pay the extra for the Large.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Yuta
Cheers,
Yuta

jeffs7364
Apr 10, 2001, 01:48 PM

I had the same question as above, about the large or medium-sized cargo bag from WaterField. Does the sleeve fit in either or only the large bag?

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by jeffs7364:
I had the same question as above, about the large or medium-sized cargo bag from WaterField. Does the sleeve fit in either or only the large bag?
I have the medium cargo bag (bought the combo), the sleeve fits perfectly. And the cargo bag is so versatile it's fun to pack. Highly recommend.

yhsu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 02:26 PM

jeffs7364...

From what I've read the SleeveCase fits well in both the Med and Large Cargos. I'm just wondering which size is more prevalent, as there seems to be a good number of Cargos out there. The Large seems to me a bit bulkier, and the semi-hard construction may not be as comfortable to carry, so I'm leaning towards the Medium.

BUT, is the Medium big enough for me to carry my TiBook in Sleeve, and some books and documents? And does the soft construction of it cause a threat to the TiBook?

Looking forward to people's replies Thanks to everyone!

Cheers,
Yuta
Cheers,
Yuta

Gaijin
Apr 10, 2001, 05:31 PM

I really like that case that Bugs just posted pics of...looks pretty sturdy...and nu baggage has a design that looks pretty promising...can't wait to see the final...although I'd prefer black instead of brown.

------------------
Stand tall and shake the heavens!
Stand tall and shake the heavens!

fobside
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 09:09 PM

IBM makes a nice bag with a tubing for cushioning. thats nice. theres one slight problem tho. the Ti is so thin the strap that covers the top side of the Ti doesnt sit tight. a small piece of foam fixes this. actually i recommend it for more protection.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 09:53 PM

Good call on the Willow Design case, Bugs. I've dealt with Nigel and he's friendly, knowledgeable, and a Mac user who knows his stuff, including the G4. Just look at how many G4-specific features their new G4 case has, including the Podium Coolpad-like platform. It's about three times the cost of a simple Waterfield sleeve, but it's ten times the value in its workmanship and features. The G4 will fit in their Kerouac, Darwin and Thoreau backpacks, although not with optimum protection. Nigel would be happy to work with you to modify any of their packs to better protect the G4 or add options you want, for a very reasonable fee. They're a small company that makes their own bags in Canada, not some giant that has everything made in the Far East and says you have to take whatever they offer.

One of the many nice things about their backpacks is that they have two main compartments, so you can get to your non-computer stuff without showing all the thieves that you have a laptop. Not to mention they have pockets everywhere, more pockets than I've seen in any other laptop case. A place for everything and everything in its place.

IMHO, it's worth it to support a small company that shows a commitment to the Mac market. And here's the ultimate testament to how much people like their Willow packs: I've never seen one for sale on eBay.

[This message has been edited by Titanium Man (edited 04-11-2001).]

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2001, 03:10 AM

New addition to the Ti case fiasco, looks very nice, only $85. Has silver trim, just like the Ti
http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...tegory_Code=G4

[This message has been edited by Bugs Bunny (edited 04-12-2001).]

jeffs7364
Apr 12, 2001, 09:23 AM

Well, I've plunged ahead and ordered the medium cargo and sleeve from sfbags.com. If anyone's interested i'll post my review once it comes in. BTW--anyone know where the "deal" (cargo+sleeve+pouch) went?

yhsu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2001, 03:08 PM

Jeffs...

I'm very interested in your opinion of the Cargo bag... I went ahead and ordered the Sleevecase and it arrived this morning (not even 24 hours!). I've heard that the Large Cargo bag is better suited for laptop duty, so I may order that within the next few weeks.

Anyways... I also noticed that the bundle is gone from sfbags.com. Perhaps you can call and ask about it... from what I've heard they're very good @ customer service and may give you the bundle even though it seems to have expired.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

------------------
Cheers,
Yuta
Cheers,
Yuta

Ira_Hayes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2001, 09:41 AM

I just received my Timbuk2 computer commuter case with the 'wide' computer case made specifically for the G4. I am very impressed with the quality and protection the case provides. It looks like any of their well-known messenger bags (no one would guess there's a computer inside) and is the perfect solution for someone who can't stand anything that resembles a brief case. Plenty of room for other things, too. I highly recommend -- the 'waxed cotton' exterior is very nice, much better than the plasticy codura material.

miri
Apr 13, 2001, 03:02 PM

just few questions about the timbuk2 computer bag, is it padded all around, unlike the messenger bags which are just the thin material.

also, is it taller than the messenger bags

is there a dedicated pouch for the 'book?

how would the bag be for carrying books+computer, or just books

thanks

ps. what colors did you get?

miri
Apr 13, 2001, 03:05 PM

what size did you get?

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2001, 11:02 PM

None of these bags are any good for me. Does anyone know of a bag (actually briefcase) that will hold alot of paperwork/files "and" a Ti? I would like to just have one bag that appears to be a typical leather soft-sided legal breifcase, yet will protect my PBG4 as well. Something sort of like what Bugs Bunny posted from "tombihn" but leather. (I agree this thread has become a fiasco )

Forum Links
Forum Rules