Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple posts, pulls form for free Mountain Lion upgrades [u]

Apple posts, pulls form for free Mountain Lion upgrades [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 23, 2012, 10:42 AM

(Corrected eligibility window) Today Apple briefly posted a form for the OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program on its website before pulling it down again, accounts say. The program is designed to ensure that people who have bought a Mac since June 11th can upgrade to Mountain Lion for free, up to 30 days past when they made their purchase. People who did manage to submit a form were sent two emails: one containing a password-locked redemption code, and a second email with the password in question. None of the redemption codes are believed to be working at the Mac App Store.

Mountain Lion should be released sometime within the next week, since Apple promised a July launch at last month's WWDC gathering in San Francisco. The upgrade will bring a number of changes to OS X, such as more integration of iCloud and iOS apps, and the Gatekeeper app security system.

FestusGandhi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2012, 10:48 AM

I updated my mini to Lion in mid-May... I wonder if Apple will offer a discount for users who recently purchased Lion.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2012, 10:53 AM

Less than two days away.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by FestusGandhi View Post
I updated my mini to Lion in mid-May... I wonder if Apple will offer a discount for users who recently purchased Lion.
The upgrade is $19.99.

It's priced well within the "who cares" range.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 23, 2012, 11:33 AM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.

Joey Tranchina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2012, 11:42 AM

Will OS X Mountain Lion keep OS X Lion from crashing ever 45 mins? WTF1

l've Owned every Mac since the 512. OS X Lion is the worst.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Joey Tranchina View Post
Will OS X Mountain Lion keep OS X Lion from crashing ever 45 mins?
Not if you don't deinstall or update the software that is crashing Lion.

P.S.: Apple had about 70 different models and configurations available at the same time in the mid-90s. You've owned them all?

MacAssemble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2012, 07:14 AM

Actually there was a reasonable number of distinct models, certainly few enough that one could conceivably own them all. All of those "70 models" were essentially different part numbers that often reflected a small difference such as an extra piece of included software or a co-processor etc. I my self have owned just about every basic model, but that's because I am in the Mac service/Sales business and have them pass through frequently.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jul 24, 2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
P.S.: Apple had about 70 different models and configurations available at the same time in the mid-90s. You've owned them all?

...And most of those were the Performas- about 5 different flavors of the same model that were all sold from different retailers. If you worked in any Mac sales or service company, it is very feasible. I personally have owned almost 20 Macs in the last 15 years.

P
Jul 24, 2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by MacAssemble View Post
All of those "70 models" were essentially different part numbers that often reflected a small difference such as an extra piece of included software or a co-processor etc.
If only. The differences were limited to HDD size, the amount of RAM, presence of internal modem and clock speed 20 MHz up or down. The reason was so that all the different home electronics chain could advertise "lowest price anywhere - guaranteed!" by buying all of certain part number. This was basically a requirement to get shelf space in certain home electronics chains back in the nineties.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules