Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Mid-2011 Issues

iMac Mid-2011 Issues
ferg
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2015, 03:55 PM

I am experiencing what appears to be a known problem in my iMac, as described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203787

It is the 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with the AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card. The screen wen black the other day and now it will not start past the apple before going to a white/grey screen. The start-up chime plays and I can get it into Target disk mode and access the hard disks with no problem via Firewire/Thunderbolt on the laptop(even boot the laptop off the internal startup drive). Running the latest version of Yosemite. Zapped PRAM, reset SMC, repaired permissions. The serial # also ends in the identified model number.

I am located in Bermuda so running to the Apple store Genius is impossible and there is one authorised Apple service company here. Their predictable response was it is the logic board and will cost $1600 to replace plus several hundred for their time. When asked about the GPU issue the tech said that the Apple Diagnostics was not able to start on the computer to confirm it which meant it was a logic board issue. While the GPU may be faulty as well he cannot confirm with out Apple's tool.

I am curious, how are they supposed to confirm it is the card if the computer will not boot due to a graphics card issue. The tech got very defensive when I asked and told me I could pay to fix it or come and get it.

It would likely cost me just as much to ship it to the US or Canada to take it to an Apple store there. It is rather frustrating, and I wish there was a way to test to see if I can run the diagnostics or if this guy is trying to get out of doing a free service.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 22, 2015, 04:07 PM

Call Apple Customer Relations (not Applecare), and tell them all this. That's all I've got.

ferg  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2015, 05:25 PM

Thanks I plan to call Apple tomorrow once I have the machine back.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 22, 2015, 05:58 PM

Failed components can prevent boot. I've seen it happen with bad graphics cards, a bad hard drive, and read of it happening with bad USB devices. Failed internal devices are more likely to prevent bootup, while systems (or the OS) have become more resistant over time to failed external components. It's been awhile since the last time I've heard of a USB device killing boot.

They should unplug the GPU card to test, preferably with a replacement card. You could do this test yourself if you're handy. Obtain an external USB video adapter (Mac-compatible), pull your graphics card, and try to boot up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules