Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Netscape 6 Problems

Netscape 6 Problems
Poppyb
Nov 28, 2000, 02:28 AM

I am new to this forum and the computer, so please forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask these questions. I hope that someone can help me. I successfully installed Netscape 6 but have encountered a few problems.

1. I set the toolbar preferences in Netscape preferences and unclick "printer", "home" and "my netscape" but in one profile they are all still displayed after I save the changes. How do I fix this? Also, in one profile the "go" will not appear in the toolbar.

2. In my bookmarks, when I import bookmarks from Netscape 4.76 and make a few changes in the names of some of the bookmarks [to shorten the names for display in my favourites for across the top of the tooolbar], the names keep reverting to their original and I have to shorten them all over again. This happens repeatedly. What can I do to fix this?

3. In the bookmarks pull down menu there is a folder called "Imported IE Favourites NC: IE Favorites Root" This is a copy of all my bookmarks and I don't need it along with the ones I imported from Netscape. I can delete them but they reappear. How can I eliminate them?

4. There are times when I cannot move the bookmarks around within the bookmarks folder. How can I rearrange them every time? Why can't I move more than one bookmark at a time when I AM able to move one?

5. Is there any way to set the preferences so that Netscape remembers window positions or sizes?

6. I'm told that I need to "download plugin download" and I can't find it listed anywhere. What is it and where can I find one?

7. Mail keeps saying that I have one unread mail and one in the trash - which isn't true.

8. Sometimes I lose the ability to cut and paste information. Can this "bug" be fixed?

I basically like Netscape 6 and hope these problems can be resolved. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2000, 04:43 PM

A lot of the issues you are having are recognized bugs and will be fixed in later versions. Netscape just decided to release what most people would consider an unfinished browser.

Some of your problems with bookmarks can be fixed pretty easity. The bookmarks file is simply a text file with a list of URLs (unless this has been changed since the last time I tried Mozilla). You should be able to manually edit the file, as long as you don't modify the overall structure.

yuhui
Nov 28, 2000, 06:23 PM

I used Netscape briefly until I realized that it took a super-long time to open a new window on my Wallstreet PB. But back to your problems. I'll attempt to answer those that I'm familiar with.

1. I assume that u have multiple profiles set up. Did u change the settings in *all* of the profiles?
3. I tried this too but to no avail. I figure that the only feasible way is to locate the bookmarks HTML file and edit it from there. I didn't try this, but if u do, let us know.
4. Do they not move because Netscape is too busy rendering the display? That could happen on slower computers, like my Wallstreet PB G3/233, I had to wait until my hard disk stopped spinning before doing anything like moving the browser window or even pressing the toolbar buttons. Netscape doesn't use MacOS's native graphics drivers (in fact, it doesn't even use QuickDraw, as I learnt when I tried to use my Vivo plugin), it uses its own cross-platform graphics-rendering engine, so it takes a longer time to draw the graphics, leaving less CPU resources to do other stuff.
5. I think you'll have to edit Netscape's preferences file. If u manage to pull this off, let us know too.

Hope all of that helps.
Yuhui

Forum Links
Forum Rules