Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Release dates for carbonized software?

Release dates for carbonized software?
Hylton Coxwell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2000, 01:25 AM

Does anyone know if we'll see carbonized versions of the following programs in the near future?

Adobe GoLive
Adobe InDesign
Adobe PhotoShop

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2000, 02:25 AM

Adobe hasn't said anything that I know of. Wait for macWorld in January and see what pops up.

limbotron
Dec 23, 2000, 02:58 AM

a pre-alpha demo of photoshop was one of the first Carbonized programs demonstrated way back at OS X's official coming out party. I would think it is logical to assume that getting this one carbonized is one of apple's top priorities.

Haven't heard a peep about GoLive or InDesign, but Adobe would certainly be smart to release both asap. Quark seems to be stuck in a no-grow mode and this might be a good opportunity for InDesign to grab some market share. Getting GoLive up and running might steal some thunder from Dreamweaver.... but who knows. OS X will not have a decent installed base for quite some time and it might just not be worth the effort yet....

Hylton Coxwell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2000, 12:02 PM

That's the nasty little circle isn't it ... no apps = no user base ... no user base = no apps ...

However, if those three apps were carbonized I could switch permanently today and never have to use Classic again.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2000, 10:25 PM

Apple and Adobe are TIGHT . . . I would expect it to be out when X final is out.

Originally posted by Scott_H:
Adobe hasn't said anything that I know of. Wait for macWorld in January and see what pops up.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Dec 26, 2000, 01:52 AM

Don't forget Illustrator

Yeah I also read (possibly at Quark Forums) That they're not looking into an OSX carbonized version yet.

I'm not certain how the printing/publishing market is going to react to OSX. Most of us are still relying on QuarkXPress, and realistically speaking, will be for years to come.

I'm still wondering why I've yet to receive any InDesign file format files at work, if it's catching on like I hear where the heck is it? I did have the brief chance to demo it a while back at home, and I gotta say it's a vast improvement to thier previous effort "PageMaker" UI-wise (shudder). I never had the chance to test drive it in a real work environment situation however, and have only heard that it's not all it's cracked-up to be yet.

Mike

Trev
Dec 26, 2000, 10:35 AM

limbotron is right, Adobe did show a very early Carbon version of Photoshop 5 when OS X was first shown almost 2 years ago.

Also, this past year Adobe showed a Carbon version of InDesign at the World Wide Developers conference back in May. They said it only took them 2 weeks to Carbonize it.

You can expect announcements from Adobe and a few others when OS X 1.0 is announced. As to when they will ship we don't really know. Adobe has said publicly that they will have Carbon versions of most of their apps "the day" OS X ships. Since the OS X beta and subsequent releases do not yet have a "final" version of Carbon it remains to be seen just how far Adobe and others have managed to get. Remember many companies are not Carbonizing until its final.

I'm worried about the chicken and egg therory of OS X. Not to mention there's a lot missing in there to make it a complete replacement for OS 9. Let's hope Apple has done a LOT of work in OS X since the PB...

Forum Links
Forum Rules