Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Sound too darn LOUD!!

iMac Sound too darn LOUD!!
nine11always
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2000, 01:33 PM

Our company's slot-loading iMac's (350Mhz) have a sound problem. Alert sound volume can be changed as usual, however, when entering a website that contains sound, it plays at full volume!

This occurs even when the volume slider is at its lowest setting. And, there is no difference between the softest setting and the loudest � the sound still comes in full volume.

I've played with the sound control panel to no avail. Since this happens with all our iMac's, I'm sure someone has had the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2000, 05:14 PM

Hi,

have you tried BOTH sound controls (alert sound and system sound)? If yes, then maybe you could trash the sound preference file inside system folder/preferences.

Villalobos

Originally posted by nine11always:
Our company's slot-loading iMac's (350Mhz) have a sound problem. Alert sound volume can be changed as usual, however, when entering a website that contains sound, it plays at full volume!

This occurs even when the volume slider is at its lowest setting. And, there is no difference between the softest setting and the loudest � the sound still comes in full volume.

I've played with the sound control panel to no avail. Since this happens with all our iMac's, I'm sure someone has had the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2000, 10:01 PM

In the Sound control panel, there's a "Speaker settings" section. Try turning the volume down there...

I have an old Blueberry slot-loading iMac 350, and yes, the sound doesn't get too low. But the lowest setting is hardly too loud.

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

Rick58
Oct 7, 2000, 12:06 AM

I think it's possibly a setting done by the web page code. Maybe the Mac doesn't interpret it properly, and sets the volume at 10x what it should be, or something.

I have the same problem (it's DAMN aggravating!!!); I have the 2 settings set low, etc.. I haven't tried trashing the sound prefs, tho. Seems like other apps would play too loud also if that were the problem, but they don't.

So I don't have a solution, but you are not the only one who has perceived this problem. I use Netscape (Communicator 4.73 at the moment); I refuse to use IE unless web pages don't work at all with NS. - Rick.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2000, 12:16 AM

I'm experiencing the same problem when playing quicktime movies on my iMac DVSE. I deleted the Sound Prefs and turned the volume to it's lowest settings . (Alert, Output, Speaker Setup and the volume of the quicktime movie.) The volume will not go down! I don't know what else to do. I have notice that this problem doesn't occur when I'm using MacOS X.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

nine11always  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2000, 11:33 AM

Thanks guys for your replies. I haven't trashed the pref's � I'll do that today. I'll also call Apple and see if they have a solution, as I'm sure they're aware ofthe problem.

I'll also try Communicator 4.7 and see if it handles sound on these pages any differently. Hopefully it "Thinks Different."
I'll post anything I find out.

Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules