Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Some stuff on iCal

Some stuff on iCal
CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2002, 02:49 PM

1) Live resizing is slower than iPhoto (thats bad).

2) Interface looks good (will post pics later)

3) The date on the icon changes to the current day (after it starts up).

4) It has day, week, and month views (as anyone probably would have guessed).

5) Didn't crash once during testing.

It looks good, and its fast except for live resizing the window, separator bar, etc.

I'm on a G4 800 with 6C115 and an ATI Radeon 7500.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 03:03 PM

How's the launch time in comparison to, say, iPhoto?

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2002, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
How's the launch time in comparison to, say, iPhoto?
4 to 6 bounces.

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2002, 03:07 PM

yah, it's a pretty cool app, i'm already trying it out to use full time. I'm trying to get away from entourage, now that jaguar's Mail.app is actaully really nice.

It does seem a little pokey though, on a ibook 700. Nothing like iPhoto pokey, but just not quite as responsive as say, itunes. Of course, this is pre release software, I'm sure the final version will have lots of improvements. But I like what I see so far.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Aug 10, 2002, 03:15 PM

You can already see lots of picts and info here:
http://www.thinksecret.com/

ecrelin
Aug 10, 2002, 03:19 PM

I'm using Now -Up-To-Date and Contact and I have clients who are relly using the central calendar and contacts environment. I understand that you can share a calendar via TCP/IP. What are the permissions like and can you in any way share the contacts? Thanks for any info�

ecrelin
Aug 10, 2002, 03:34 PM

I was posting my questions just as the little green "boy toy" master was postng that link, which by the way, answered almost all my questions, except the contacts but I'm not expecting much on that�
PS Don't let that bastard fool you, he's hung like a horse!
Oh, Master, I'm yours, use the Force!

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Aug 10, 2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by ecrelin:

HA! We did get a glimpse of his "powers" during his fight on "attack of the clones"
Ha!
anyway...haven't played with iCal yet, cant' wait. I don't care if it resizes like pooh, as long as all the other stuff it does is zippy.

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Aug 10, 2002, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by ecrelin:
I was posting my questions just as the little green "boy toy" master was postng that link, which by the way, answered almost all my questions, except the contacts but I'm not expecting much on that�
Don't underestimate the power of the force!

TC
Senior User
Aug 10, 2002, 03:48 PM

Just one thing, are to do lists hierarchical?
Entourage sucks cos everything is flat.

I need something that allows me to do this:

Work
ProjectA
Finish item 1
Finish Item 2

Project B
Finish Item 1

and so on. In entourage it comes across as:

work - project A - finish item 1
work - project A - finish item 2
work - project B - finish item 1
Nothing to see, move along.

hew
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2002, 03:58 PM

One thing I hope that is added in the final build is a global alarm. The current build only alarms when the app is open which is pretty useless if you ask me.

Busyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2002, 06:17 PM

Hi,

I have only one question regarding iCal:

Is it scriptable? (AppleScript)

Thanks,

Martin

+++

BusyTunes - Powered by Mac OS X Server

+++

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2002, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by TC:
Just one thing, are to do lists hierarchical?
Not that I can tell. The to-do is just a basic add-on, really. Completely flat. Hopefully somoene can prove me wrong? Hierarchy would be fantabuloso.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Marook
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2002, 07:33 PM

OK, iCal 1.0 is like iTunes 1.0

1: It's not a Group app. It's a personal app that can share(read: publish .ics files online. ICS is vCal) and subscribe to calendars. I guess Publish & Subscribe is back in Mac OS.. :-)

2: AppleScript: Yes

3: A 'calendar' works as a label/group. You can choose to see all, or some.

4: The WhiteRabbit build (MWNN) is Very slow, and has some bugs. But, hey, it's old by now. Does anyone have a newer build???
Marook
At least - it's a reply...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2002, 08:46 PM

If you set up an event, can you run a script when it's ready?

GaelDesign
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2002, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by billybob:

Not that I can tell. The to-do is just a basic add-on, really. Completely flat. Hopefully somoene can prove me wrong? Hierarchy would be fantabuloso.
Well, a hierachichal to-do list in iCal would kill OmniOutliner, so I'm glad for Omni 's sake that iCal is pretty basic in that department.

Jared
President and Art Director of GaelDesign
Member of Distant Oaks - Celtic and Early Music Ensemble

TC
Senior User
Aug 11, 2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by GaelDesign:

Well, a hierachichal to-do list in iCal would kill OmniOutliner, so I'm glad for Omni 's sake that iCal is pretty basic in that department.

Jared
I want a to-do list that I can arrange hierarchically and will pop up and remind when a to-do item is due. You cannot do that with outliner, it doesn�t remind you about items in your lists.
Nothing to see, move along.

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2002, 11:09 AM

Daylite has an excellent implementation of hierarchical to-do lists. It is IMHO the *best* PIM/CRM general purpose tool bar none!

oranjdisc
Senior User
Aug 11, 2002, 03:17 PM

Is it cocoa or carbon?

HamSandwich
Aug 11, 2002, 03:49 PM

Mac OS 9 is dead.

Cocoa.

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by SteveJobs:
Mac OS 9 is dead.

Cocoa.
But Carbon is still a great language nonetheless.

ntsc
Senior User
Aug 11, 2002, 05:37 PM

having said that it would be kinda stupid to make a new app Mac OS X only and then not make it in Cocoa, especially if its an iApp meaning it is unlikely to be ported to Windows
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

The Dude
Banned
Aug 11, 2002, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

But Carbon is still a great language nonetheless.
Amen to that. Restrictions of any sort become a hindrance. Best to have as many languages available as possible for any one OS.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2002, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by ntsc:
having said that it would be kinda stupid to make a new app Mac OS X only and then not make it in Cocoa, especially if its an iApp meaning it is unlikely to be ported to Windows
Cocoa apps port Windows, and it would be even easier to do so if Apple brought out a new version of Openstep for Windows.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 11, 2002, 10:34 PM

iCal is so slow I just don't want to even look at it again. Full of bugs too. Here's hoping the final release will be usable (I couldn't see any events after updating my iPod).

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:
iCal is so slow I just don't want to even look at it again. Full of bugs too. Here's hoping the final release will be usable (I couldn't see any events after updating my iPod).
I'm willing to bet that iCal sees some speed/stability improvements before it's final release. That's what beta software is for.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 12, 2002, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by ntsc:
I don't know about that. iTunes is carbon; it seems to do pretty well. iPhoto is cocoa; it is slow as a dog. iCal is cocoa too; it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Being "cocoa" doesn't make an app better inherently; indeed many Cocoa apps are complete dogs.

Use the right tool for the job. It ain't always a hammer.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

crystalthunder
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2002, 11:50 AM

iTunes 3 is a Cocoa app, it is faster and consumes actually less system resources than version 2
15" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ w/ 128MB VRAM
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

WombatPredator
Aug 12, 2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by crystalthunder:
iTunes 3 is a Cocoa app, it is faster and consumes actually less system resources than version 2
No. It's Carbon. If you feel so inclined, open the iTunes package, open info.plist.

Check out the pair that says LSRequireCarbon Yes.

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2002, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by WombatPredator:

No. It's Carbon. If you feel so inclined, open the iTunes package, open info.plist.

Check out the pair that says LSRequireCarbon Yes.
Or just the fact that Apple would not re-write SoundJam into a Cocoa app.

Plus, the license when you first start it does not have live resizing.

crystalthunder
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2002, 02:46 PM

Well hot damn I was almost sure it was ^_^x
15" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ w/ 128MB VRAM
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

barbarian
Senior User
Aug 12, 2002, 02:46 PM

ical notes MW NY Build

I know this program will improve upon release, but here are some notes on this build.

-As noted the interface is frustratingly slow. While most apps under Jag feel snappy (with the notable exception of Internet Explorer), iCal feels like it is stuck in molasses unless you are using the latest top of the line hardware. On old machines it is too slow to use. The areas where the slowness is particularly noticeable are in resizing the window, redrawing the window, and switching views. Simply pressing buttons is noticeably laggy. Adding new events and moving them around is reasonably fast.

-The interface is very pretty, but not terribly functional. Some problem areas:

>Scroll bars have been done away with and the only way to navigate through months is to use little up and down arrow buttons pressing repeatedly. As far as I can tell, there is no way to scroll through months in a fluid way. As I often use calendars to scroll backwards and forwards in time quickly this is a big drawback.

As an improvement I might add one of aquas skinny scrollbars or at least let the user drag & scroll with the hand icon when option dragging in the month pane.

>Moving events is awkward.

Right now the only way to move events around is to drag them to and fro. (No cutting or pasting yet although you assume this is coming). Unfortunately there is no way to drag out of one view into another. So if you are in day view you can only move an event around in one single day. If you are in week view you can move it around the week, in month view around the month. Practically speaking this is a big pain in the butt.

This could be easily fixed if the window scrolls when an event is dragged to the windows edge. For example if my week ends on Sunday and I want to drag an event from Friday to Monday I should be able to drag the event against the right edge of the window triggering a scroll to Monday. That's not what happens. Right now I must switch to month view, drag the event there and switch back to week view. Another example. If I am in month view and have an event on January 31 and I want to move it to March 1rst, I have to switch to week view to drag it to February. Switch to month view to drag it to Feb 28th and then switch to month view to drag to March. Let's pray this changes.

Also We should be able to drag an event from the main window pane onto any date in the smaller month pane (right now you can't do this at all).

>There is no year view.

>Import/Export is primitive. At a minimum I would want built in import/export/sync for Entourage/Now Up to Date/Palm Desktop/and standard databases (filemaker files).

>Some of the interface choices are odd.

In week view the current day is highlighted in aqua blue. This makes it seem like a sortable column as opposed to a selected day. T

here is no way to set the highlight color.

There are 11 buttons on the bottom in 2 different styles.

The five aqua looking buttons switch views and jump forward/back.

The 6 metallic buttons have a variety of functions.

the plus button adds a new calendar (similar to the itunes + button.)
the calendar button shows/hides the month calendar pane.
the info button shows/hides a dialog box.
the second info button shows/hides a search results pane.
the person button shows/hides the address book
the push pin shows/hides the to do pane.

The search field sits at the bottom of the window feeling somewhat lost.

There is no way to set the fonts of various views/items.

Font smoothing preferences are ignored.

>address book integration is somewhat bizarre

Instead of being able to simply double click a name to set a meeting with a given person you have to drag a name over to an existing event ( new events are not created if you drag onto a certain date). Then when dragged over an event you see a tiny person icon in the event title. The name or names are invisible in all views unless you double click on the icon. Then you discover that this is meant to be an "invitation" and you are given the option to invite the person to the event. I don't know about you folks, but I use my address book to set meetings/lunches/dinners and so on. When I drag someone over to a date on my calendar I want to see their name and contact info. ideally all that info would be linked to my address book so that if it changes I only have to update it once. Also I would like to be able to email that person via a contextual menu in case I have to change plans.This is not how iCal works. Not at all.

>Publish and subscribe are a cool but there is no simple way to go P to P...

I just want to be able to simply share a calendar with my secretary and to always have it up to date on both machines. No way to do that which is what many of us need. I don't want to worry about both of us connecting to a web server, I just want to send it to the next room and have all changes be updated live.

Hmmm... that's it for now. Disappointing so far. Despite the good looks, there is no way I would switch from Now Up to Date unless there are major improvements in speed/functionality. Will check out printing later.

barbarian
Senior User
Aug 13, 2002, 01:16 AM

Just wanted to note that as a workaround for p to p publishing you can set up one machine as a webserver and publish to it and then have both machines auto publish when something is changed, but this is a roundabout and somewhat annoying solution.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 03:19 AM

Good review. I hope they fix these issues before release date....

Cocoala
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2002, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by hew:
One thing I hope that is added in the final build is a global alarm. The current build only alarms when the app is open which is pretty useless if you ask me.
WTF?
I hope Apple fixes this in the final version.
Hey Apple, ever heard of cron?

barbarian
Senior User
Aug 13, 2002, 01:28 PM

I like it, but I wish the icon were permanently updated after each run.. or even better yet if it were always simply live..(that would be a cool hack)...

Forum Links
Forum Rules