Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > fire PM designers

View Poll Results: What do you think of the new design?
Poll Options:
Looks better than a supermodel 16 votes (12.70%)
I like it 72 votes (57.14%)
I hate it 26 votes (20.63%)
I'd rather have a beige box 12 votes (9.52%)
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll
fire PM designers
yuliang
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 12:08 PM

Does anyone else think the PowerMacs are butt-ugly?

it's been the same basic case since what... 1999? Since Apple's so big on "innovation" in their hardware products such as the Powerbook or the iMac, all I can say to this new PowerMac is ... "Innovation my ass"

what do u think?
Anthony Wu
- - - - - - - - - -
Titanium PowerBook G4/550 - X 10.2
Beige PowerMac G3/500 - X 10.1
HP 751n P4/1.8GHz - XP Pro SP1

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 03:48 PM

I wouldn't say I hate the new design, but it looks cheapish - kind of like a cheap radio with lots of chrome doodads and ports that are purely for looks. I'm sure it looks better in person.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

slider
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 03:56 PM

Aw, they're just buying time until they can work out that whole hovering flying sauce design.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 04:07 PM

I don't think it's too bad. It certainly looks about 896 times better than I expected, based on the leaked pic (which looked sparkly white). It's not as nice as the Quicksilver, but I'd happily have one on my desk.

Let's face it, when El Cap is finally retired there is going to be a lot of wailing and complaining. It's going to be tough to come up with a more functional design.

sirlexelot
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 04:33 PM

I dunno why people are complaining so much about the look of this box - I think it looks great! Most eye-catching PowerMac case they've had in years. In fact, this PowerMac is the first Apple tower to genuinely interest me since my last tower, my PM 8600. It's taken Apple FIVE YEARS to make a tower that I want, but it finally happened! I'll be saving my pennies for this one.
SirLexelot
10gig iPod, iPod Shuffle
Dual G4 867mhz Tower

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2002, 06:05 PM

I'm sorry, but I feel the El Capitan style case peaked with the Digital Audio G4's. Ever since the Quicksilver, I've thought the PM's looked like crap.

CIA
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 06:09 PM

To " the Simpson's:
"Those are speed holes, they make the car go faster"

(From the Homer goes to clown college episode)

It fits for the new case design though.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 06:16 PM

I think what's cool about the design is what they've done inside. They've really crammed a lot of stuff in there, and they had to rearrange quite a bit to make it all fit. What we're seeing on the front is just a neccessary artifact of that shuffling.

I think the QS is a little cleaner, but overall it's not any worse than the B&W or the Sawtooth/DA.

They didn't like my idea of making the left side open for HD installation, though, so -5 points for that.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 06:22 PM

In times of financial hardship...you must focus on what makes sense.

Right now, they need to focus more on function than on form.

It's still the best looking CPU out there. Why waste money on the looks right now?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
In times of financial hardship...you must focus on what makes sense.

Right now, they need to focus more on function than on form.

It's still the best looking CPU out there. Why waste money on the looks right now?
Agreed. This is something I don't get. It most definitely IS the best looking CPU out there by FAR. Yet there are these people who still complain about it. It's pretty rediculous.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 06:47 PM

Who cares what the case looks like? Or more precisely, who cares that much what the case looks like?

Am I the only one who considers cooling, construction, layout, open bays when looking at a computer case?

Hey, all I know is, when it comes to cases, i'd give my left nut to have a case for my PC that is as easy to deal with as a PowerMac case.

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
I think what's cool about the design is what they've done inside.
True. But why must they use metal on the front at all? Wouldn't the quick silver style doors have worked? They look great! At the very least they could have just used matching glossy plastic instead of cheezy chrome.

Sure, the air intakes may be necessary, but must they be so ugly?

So while I hate this sicksilver design, I do like the specs. DDR and MP are wikked cool.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by TheDoctor:
I'm sorry, but I feel the El Capitan style case peaked with the Digital Audio G4's. Ever since the Quicksilver, I've thought the PM's looked like crap.
My Quicksilver does NOT look like crap. It looks very elegant and classy. I like it's light silver look.

I think the case has looked great since the B&W G3 and has gotten only better with age. The new metal looking faceplate is new and I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. But it doesn't look like crap.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 08:27 PM

I actually use my computer to accomplish certain tasks. If it looks good in doing those tasks, so be it. I'm not in love with the new case design, but I don't think it looks that bad either. I've seen much worse, and the main thing to me is that it's a new, improved Mac, and that's all that matters!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 07:26 PM

I will agree without question that the technical specifications of these new machines are most impressive. I also agree that the El Capitan style is one of the most practical case designs of all time in terms of easy access to the inside of the machine.

I just don't care for the look of the Quicksilver or newer machines. I guess I was hoping for a new case that looked more like either the TiBooks or the Xserve. Maybe next time....

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2002, 07:47 PM

I think some of you are overlooking the realities Apple was facing with this PM update. First I am confident that the designers had their hands tied big-time. They were probably charged with the task of "freshening up" the Quicksilver case without investing a large amount of time or resources. Don't believe for a second that this was the best they could do, we all know better.

I think Apple was stupid for mucking around with the exterior design AT ALL on this revision if they were not committed to doing something new creatively. They could have used the same Quicksilver exterior and invested those same resources in making the next generation shell something special.

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2002, 12:29 AM

Played with the new machines today at Tice's Corner, NJ. Not too bad, looks-wise. The little snort-holes on the front are a little odd, as is the shiny plate for the optical drive bays, so it doesn't hang together as quite a "pure" design as the old ones.

But geez, what's the big deal? It still looks more like Quicksilver (and therefore better) than it does any other generic POS out there. They added the second drive bay that everyone wanted, still have the great internal access. Is anyone really that bothered by it, compared to Quicksilver?

There are much more significant things to debate/complain about with these machines than the case....

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2002, 12:52 AM

52 positive

24 negative

1 AM, 8.14.02

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 08:01 AM

In *looks*, like in performance, you can't please everybody. Or, as the comments here reconfirm...

One man's sexy is another man's sleazy

I think what we've got with this case rev is a pretty cool compromise. You've all heard the gripes about ''this case design is getting really old.'' And with a combo of function enhancement (to all dualies) and system quantum leap (shipping with Extreme Jag), the time was ripe for *some* statement. But (putting on my Cassandra wig), as a prophetess, mark my words . . .

The really rad case redesign is being held back . . .

. . . till it comes with G5s in it !

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 10:06 PM

I think they look pretty sharp. The fact that the casing hasn't change that much in a few years is not dramatic. It has evolved and is still brilliantly designed. Even if some company have neat flashy cases, they are not as acessible and functional as a G4. Since Apple introduced the original B&W G3, nobody can claim a better designed case. You open the door and do what you have to do. You can install anything without removing a single part. X-Serve's design is also brilliant, you can access everything without removing anything. Have you ever seen how crowded and messy a IBM one rack unit server is. Adding a hard drive in one of those is really fun
I manage a post-production house, we have IBM MPros, IBM Zpros, IBM Servers, Compaq W-8000s, SGI ZX-10s, Intergraph GT-1s and a G4. Too bad we never have any problems with the G4, because the others are a f****ng pain in the a$$ to take care of. And for expensive computers, they are poorly designed. I watched our tech swear during 1 1/2 hour at an IBM Mpro. Just to add memory, he had to remove 2 boards to acces the Dimm slots. And don't plan on doing nothing on an Intergraph without a flashlight, a chart, a few tools and lots of patience. I just love to see the tech swearing for 15 minutes while he tries to slip the case's cover in place.
And the fun thing is, the G4 is the least expensive computer of the bunch.
( Last edited by dlefebvre; Aug 16, 2002 at 11:21 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules