Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook screen brown across bottom

iBook screen brown across bottom
idmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2002, 10:04 PM

I have a new 700 MHz 14" iBook. Besides the 1 1/2 pixels that are dead (one is only out about 1/2 the time) there is a cm high "brownish" strip across the entire bottom of the screen. Besides that the color of the screen is very good in all other areas. Just want to know if anyone else has experienced this and if this is grounds to send it back for a screen replacement?- I would love to find a reason to get rid of those friggin' dead pixels!

Sorry, hit the back botton one too many times and double posted but now I can't get rid of the double post!!
( Last edited by idmd; Sep 5, 2002 at 10:20 PM. )

ibook_steve
Sep 6, 2002, 02:48 PM

Yes, you should definitely get a new screen. It sounds like part of the LCD backlight is out. That, along with the dead pixels, should get you a replacement LCD.

Steve

kybernaut
Sep 6, 2002, 04:58 PM

I had some "shadows" in the area near the hinge and got it fixed because it really annoyed me. When it came back, the illumination of the screen was perfectly equal.

So I would recommend to send it in. *IF* it's a backlight issue on your machine it's questionable that they're going to replace the whole screen, though.

Good look...

kybernaut

DrSpookles
Sep 6, 2002, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by kybernaut:
I had some "shadows" in the area near the hinge and got it fixed because it really annoyed me. When it came back, the illumination of the screen was perfectly equal.

So I would recommend to send it in. *IF* it's a backlight issue on your machine it's questionable that they're going to replace the whole screen, though.
Wow... I have the shadows too (bottom corners).. Maybe I will try and send it in too. Did you take it to the store, or did you call applecare?

DrSpk
iChat/AOL: DJTcl

kybernaut
Sep 7, 2002, 07:12 AM

I called Applecare, because my local dealer wasn't really convinced about the problem. I got it fixed alongside with two other minor issues (hinge stiffness, hd noise), so they acknowledged immediately that sending it in was nessesary.

kybernaut

ibook_steve
Sep 9, 2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by kybernaut:

Good look...

kybernaut
Kybernaut,
They would have to replace the whole screen because the backlight is integrated into the LCD panel. They are not separate components.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules