Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express stops routing packets

Airport Express stops routing packets
bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2006, 11:34 PM

I have 2 airport expresses in my house on in my bedroom one in the basement. Both configured as seperate wifi access points connect to the rest of my home network via ethernet. For some reason the airport express in my bedroom just stops routing packets both internet and to the rest of my home network. So I can connect to it but it just doesn't do anything won't let me surf the net or see any the rest of the home netowork. It happens for no apparaent reason and the only thing I can do is power on/off the airport express or restart it with airport admin tools and it will work again for a little while. All the computer in my house have statically assigned IP's has anyone experienced this problem. Oh and the second airport express in my basement always works fine.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 07:05 AM

This should have been in the NETWORKING forum to start with!!! A "Veteran Member" should know to read the forum description. Bad member! BAD! No cookie.

So I'm moving this from Peripherals to the right forum..

And does turning the AirPort Express off for a minute then turning it back on help?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bleee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
This should have been in the NETWORKING forum to start with!!! A "Veteran Member" should know to read the forum description. Bad member! BAD! No cookie.

So I'm moving this from Peripherals to the right forum..

And does turning the AirPort Express off for a minute then turning it back on help?
Yup that or using airport admin tools to "restart" the airport express... but the problem just keeps coming back. For example this morning as I'm typing this post I had to switch over to the other airport express because the one in my bedroom stopped working again and I'm too lazy to reboot it right now.

I've tried updating the firmware a second time to 6.3 but no luck
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 09:43 AM

How are the two Express boxes configured? Is it possible that one is being blocked by the other-same channel setting or something? This is wierd but not yet bizarre...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules