Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone know where to get ChosenOS theme

Anyone know where to get ChosenOS theme
blackmacx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2002, 08:46 PM

Hi,

It's my first time as a member of MacNN, I am one with MacFixitForums as well. My question is this, I've seen some screenshots of users desktops with the ChosenOS used (mostly ported from Windows using ThemeFur) and want to know either if there is a released version of the ChosenOS theme available or if not, where to get the official theme for Windows and then who to port it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

BTB, BBX Mercury is a great theme and my current fav (I am though a GUI junky).

BlackMacX

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 09:01 PM

The ChosenOS theme port was started (and was looking quite good IMHO) but the guy who was doing it never got permission from the guy who did the original Windows version, and was told to stop. A bitter augment then ensued, ensuring that no more work was don on the theme. An early beta was posted for a while, then removed.
The guy who was doing it has now sadly left the OSX themeing (?sp) scene.

So the only chance of getting this is if someone who still has that early beta can mail it to you.
P.s. if you do manage to get it you will need to run it through ThemeFur to make it 10.2 (Jaguar) compatible.

There is no app to convert XP to OSX themes, it takes 2 computers (one using a XP theme creation app, no VPC doesn't do, and one running an OSX theme creation app) networked together, lots and lots of time, a bit of luck and plenty skill.

dazzla
Senior User
Dec 6, 2002, 07:16 AM

You can get the various chosenOS skins here:

http://chosenos.tk/

There is a windowblinds skin by Honz and a Windows XP skin by me.

If you wanna port you're gonna have to email the guy who came up with the concept for the theme "chosenone":

http://chosenone-.deviantart.com/

Enjoy...

Cipher13
Dec 6, 2002, 07:22 AM

It's a little sterile... but nice.

My favourite theme is AlumiteX - it's the only one I use.

If you don't know it, try it out.

blackmacx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2002, 08:01 AM

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it; I like the ChosenOS for it's clean lines and I think therefore I will take it as inspiration but nothing more. I will see if I can make a theme for OS X and if it's any good, release it.

Thank you again.

BlackMacX

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 11:50 AM

anyone knows how the font used in ChosenOS is called ?

example here
http://www.pixelperfect.pwp.blueyond...senOS_honz.png

Thx
Sarc
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 6, 2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:

example here

Thx
Sarc
I'd like to know this too, I like that font more than the theme, although I do really like that theme too.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 01:19 PM

For my signature I had to fake the SARC IS part pixel by pixel in PS ... damn slow ...

The sig file was originally a Powered by Mac OS X Server with an Apple Logo.

Sarc
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 04:36 PM

example here

Thx
Sarc
Isn't that just good old Geneva?
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

ARENA
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 05:27 PM

For my signature I had to fake the SARC IS part pixel by pixel in PS ... damn slow ...

The sig file was originally a Powered by Mac OS X Server with an Apple Logo.

Sarc
It looks like Mini7 or some variation of it. I have a few pixel fonts that look like that, i'll mail you some later.

ambush
Banned
Dec 6, 2002, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:

It looks like Mini7 or some variation of it. I have a few pixel fonts that look like that, i'll mail you some later.
Gimme

[email protected]

Please

BTW I *really* want to see chosenOS ported to the mac.. I had it installed in the old 10.1 days and I miss it soo much.!!!! Themers! I will pay for a Jaguar ChosenOS!!!!!

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by ambush:

Gimme

[email protected]

Please

BTW I *really* want to see chosenOS ported to the mac.. I had it installed in the old 10.1 days and I miss it soo much.!!!! Themers! I will pay for a Jaguar ChosenOS!!!!!
Just a tip... I wouldn't put my e-mail address out on the web, because it will most likely get picked up and added to a SPAM list.

ambush
Banned
Dec 6, 2002, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

Just a tip... I wouldn't put my e-mail address out on the web, because it will most likely get picked up and added to a SPAM list.
Just a tip - don't code in REALBasic because most users hate RB apps.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 07:03 PM

Just a tip - don't code in REALBasic because most users hate RB apps.
Pardon? I'm sorry but I'm at a loss here - I have no clue what you are talking about.

But since you got me on the topic of this - most users don't care what a program is coded in as long as it does the job they want it to efficiently.

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 6, 2002, 07:13 PM

That Chosen OS Theme kind of reminds me of a more monotone version of Torin Valdimirs (sc?) I/OS X Steel with a straight titlebar.

A long while back there was talk of porting the original I/OS X to the Mac OS 9 theme format but nothing ever came of it.

Perhaps someone can ressurect it as an OS X theme with his permission, assuming anyone can get hold of him seeing as his .Mac account is no more.

ambush
Banned
Dec 6, 2002, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by swiz:

I'd like to know this too, I like that font more than the theme, although I do really like that theme too.
Very very similar to capitalized 8pts geneva.
Don't forget to turn aa off.

Edit: Typo
( Last edited by ambush; Dec 6, 2002 at 07:30 PM. )

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 07:59 PM

With all due repsect to the theme creator, the ChosenOS scheme, while very elegant, it is also very simple.

It is a completely grey-scale theme that has almost no original stylings.

The creator is being somewhat affected by the fact that it is popular...

If Apple hasn't canned Max or Swix at this poitn, then i serioulsy doubt the ChosenOS auhtor has any say on the matter.

...but like I said, all due respect.

dazzlas Rhodium Edge theme was much better, I'd say.

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

MrOutline
Dec 6, 2002, 11:06 PM

Very very similar to capitalized 8pts geneva.
Don't forget to turn aa off.

When aa is turned off, kerning on fonts is pretty terrible especially in Cocoa apps. Is there any way around that, or is there a font that's better than another? Geneva is what I'd like to use but it looks pretty bad. The one time I can get Geneva to look like it should without aliasing is in Mozilla. Is that because it's Carbon?

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by zazou:
With all due repsect to the theme creator, the ChosenOS scheme, while very elegant, it is also very simple.

It is a completely grey-scale theme that has almost no original stylings.

The creator is being somewhat affected by the fact that it is popular...

If Apple hasn't canned Max or Swix at this poitn, then i serioulsy doubt the ChosenOS auhtor has any say on the matter.

...but like I said, all due respect.

dazzlas Rhodium Edge theme was much better, I'd say.
I understand what you're saying, but that is the beauty of any good design- simplicity. It isn't easy to create an effective design that is simple and no-frills (or at least feels that way). The tendency is to overdo it and keep adding stuff when a design doesn't feel right, when taking stuff out and simplifying is usually is what is needed. It's also about knowing what needs to stay and what should go. That being said, I think ChosenOS is good excercise of restraint. In other words, it's hot to death...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules