Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using realpc to run Win 98/95?

Using realpc to run Win 98/95?
angevine41
May 2, 2000, 03:14 PM

I've known for years about Virtual PC and Softwindows (to use to run pc software on macs), but just recently learned about realpc. As I understand it, this VERY inexpensive software ($30) will run allow you to run DOS programs, and has the added functionality of allowing you to install Win 98/95 OS so you can run THOSE programs.

I would mostly run database/spreadsheet programs, but would also like to try things like 3-D Chief Architect. I have a Performa 6360, 92MB, 8.5, plenty of space (well, 300-400MB) on HD.

Could I expect reasonable, albeit somewhat slow, performance? Would I be able to print? Would I be wise to partition the HD, and keep pc stuff separate, or is that not of much concern?

PS Just found a brief discussion of VPC in the archives. If I found an inexpensive VPC/DOS, I could run Win 98/95 on top of it?

Leader
May 2, 2000, 03:47 PM

If you want to use a PC emulator, I think Virtual PC is the way to go. It is more pleasant to use than other programs. If you want, you can just buy the Virtual PC 3 upgrade which comes with a boot disk image but no operating system. You can use the boot disk image to install Windows if you already have a CD of it already.

I have a Mac with a 603e processor not much faster than yours. I can install the first edition of Windows 95 on Virtual PC and run some simple programs. I can install and run Microsoft Office 95 on it, for example. Any heavy programs would be too slow to be useful. Also, don't use Windows 98 on your computer, it will be too slow to do anything.

You don't have to and don't need to partition your hard drive.

angevine41  (op)
May 2, 2000, 04:08 PM

I've been prowling around, and it seems that the main virtue of VPC 3.0 over 2.1, is USB support? Since I don't have/need USB, am I just as well off with 2.1 as 3, whichever is lower price?

And/or, if I got a VPC 3.0 upgrade, alone, that would suffice to run Win 95? What about DOS? (I know at least one program I want to try is DOS.)

As you can probably gather, I know NOTHING about pc's. Thanks for the info.

PS Will I be able to print?

�����������
�����������������

[This message has been edited by angevine41 (edited 05-02-2000).]

Leader
May 2, 2000, 05:11 PM

The Virtual PC 3 upgrade has everything you need to emulate a PC if you already have a Windows CD. You don't need to have a previous version of Virtual PC to use the Virtual PC 3 upgrade.

Yes, you will be able to print by using the printer you normally use with your Mac.

Virtual PC 3 has many improvements over version 2. Although it may be a bit slower on slow PowerPC Macs, it is better than version 2.

If you are not aware, DOS is integrated into Windows 95 and Windows 98. When you install Windows, DOS is also install along with it. You can use DOS via a window in Windows or you can go complelely to the DOS environment from Windows.

[This message has been edited by Leader (edited 05-02-2000).]

angevine41  (op)
May 2, 2000, 05:27 PM

Well, shucks, Leader, now I'm in a quandary. I called my local mac store (university bookstoore), to get a price on the VPC 3 upgrade, and the tech there said he was "almost positive" that I couldn't use the upgrade the way you describe.

I hate to doubt your word, after all the advice you've offered, but I wish I could get some other opinions......

I'd LOVE to be able to use it, because it's available for under $50, and I'm one of the world's foremost cheapskates.

Leader
May 2, 2000, 05:35 PM

Look, I have the Virtual PC 3 upgrade and there's nothing I am more certain of. The upgrade has an installer and when you launch it, you can install Virtual PC and the extras for it from there and it is ready to be use.

Leader
May 3, 2000, 12:19 AM

I noticed that the Virtual PC 3 upgrade can be bought and download from the internet. The size of the download file is about 10MB or so. Go to http://www.connectix.com/ and select "Shop Connectix" on the right hand side and when the site is loaded, select the product.

JoeH
May 3, 2000, 01:35 PM

Just to let you know, I use RealPC on my G3/266 tower and installed 95 first and then upgraded to 98 when it came out. Everything works just fine. So as long as you have Win 95/98 already I don't see a problem.

angevine41  (op)
May 3, 2000, 03:39 PM

Leader and Joe,

With my 160 processor, am I going to get REALLY SLOW results? Would I be better advised to track down a used pc?

Joe, you say you've got a 266; what software do you run, and how fast/slow is it?

JoeH
May 3, 2000, 05:05 PM

I use the Office 98 Suite, an IBM encyclopidia program that includes video and sound (Grolier, I think), Netscape Navigator, and WordPerfect. I don't play games or get into heavy graphics in emulation mode. I have the same programs on a friends PC 166 Compaq and it runs just as fast--maybe a bit slower, but not enough to worry about. If you wanted high end results, you should just buy a true PC. I also use RealPC to open .exe files I recieve from friends through e-mail. It's great!

angevine41  (op)
May 3, 2000, 05:14 PM

Yeah, when you've got a mac, you're CONTINUALLY trying to deal with .exe flies, and such.....

Heck, for $30-$50, I guess I OUGHT to try either realpc or vpc, and quit waffling......

Thanks, guys....

Forum Links
Forum Rules