Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got my PB back from Apple unfixed. What now?

Got my PB back from Apple unfixed. What now?
darkhawk64
Apr 26, 2004, 12:32 PM

Hey everybody-
I got my PowerBook back from the depot last week after it was in the shop for two weeks. The biggest issue that I sent it in for was a problem with the bottom RAM slot. The logic boards are on backorder (and with no ETA). When I called in on Tuesday, I talked to someone in customer relations named Melissa. She created a part search for me to get a logic board quickly from somewhere around the country. The next morning I check the status and see that it was shipped on Tuesday to me. I got a call that morning from Melissa, and she said that they still hadn't found a part. I figured that she just didn't have updated info on it and didn't think about it again. When I got the computer back, the bottom RAM slot issue still existed. This really got to me.

When I called back to Apple customer relations, they said that I need to send the PowerBook back and Sheila, the new person that I've been talking to, said that she would work her ways on the repair to get it done while still standing behind the lie that the logic board was replaced when it was sent down originally. I know this is a lie because 1) the electroninc serial number is the same and 2) the ethernet address is the same. Sheila is claiming that the logic board was repaired, tested and sent back to me. While in transit, something happened that caused the same problem to crop up again. Has anyone heard of something like this before? I haven't, and I'm completely insulted that Apple would think one of its customers is actually that stupid.

I want something from Apple. They lied to me several times. They want me to send back my laptop for another undetermined amount of time. This is not acceptable. They have given me no reason to think that I'll get my computer back in working order. If someone from Apple is reading this, please get in touch with me. Sheila is not returning my calls right now. I WANT THIS RESOLVED!!!!

<sorry for the rant, I'm really frustrated right now>.

jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

justinf77
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 12:40 PM

I got the same story. My PowerBook is on its way back to me, Ill let you know how to fix went. Basically, I just needed a new logic board, and Apple had the PB for over two weeks.

Call them up, explain your frustration, ask how it happened, etc. But I doubt they'll give anything to you for your troubles, because at this stage, they do not really care.
PowerBook 15" 1.25 Ghz, 80 GB 5400 RPM HD, 768 MB RAM, OS 10.3.3

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2004, 02:54 PM

Can you take it in to an Apple Store? It always helps being face to face -- just remember to keep your cool!

Mcoupe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 08:12 PM

Sorry to hear that you're having such problems with AC. I had my own run in with them a few weeks ago too and ended up cancelling my AC due to their complete incompetance. Maybe in a few months I will buy AC again after I've cooled off.

My suggestions: keep records of who you spoke with, what you talked about, etc. The more you "log" your problem and are able to tell them specific names, dates and times of people you spoke with, the less wiggle room they have to try to maneuver out of it. Don't yell, or curse at them, they do have the right to end the conversation if you become too hostile. Having worked help desk/telephone tech support I know this. Just be firm with what you know is true, and don't back down. I had to log complaints with customer relations a few times (3 I belive).

If you want, you can ask for them to pay for your AC (assuming you purchased it) or, you can try getting them to offer you stuff. When I cancelled my AC, I first tried getting them to pay for it, but they said they don't. Instead they offered RAM, batteries, a .Mac account, iLife, and other stuff instead.

Good luck.
15" AlBook rev.B
1.25/768M/80GB/SuperDrive

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 26, 2004, 08:16 PM

One thing to keep in mind: when Apple replaces your logic board, they use a little program to set the serial number of the replacement back to the serial number that is printed on your machine. It is quite possible that they can do the same with the MAC address.

This doesn't mean that they did replace your logic board, merely that the fact that the serial number and MAC didn't change in no way prove that the logic board was not replaced.

tooki

darkhawk64  (op)
Apr 26, 2004, 08:34 PM

Hey Everyone-
Thanks for the replies. It's really good to hear that I'm not alone, and it's a bit disturbing too. I have been keeping records of who I talk to. I'm going to be sending it back in tomorrow for repeat service. I've been talking to Sheila, who was able to confirm that a change in MAC address would be a result of swapping motherboards. I know that when we get new boards at the shop here they always have stickers for new MAC addresses.

The part is out of stock according to Apple right now (I can check online since I work for an Apple service center). If it's still that way when the computer gets there, then they will look into further measures, according to Sheila. She's been helpful today, but the other day she seemed to have a bit of an attitude. I can understand, as we all have bad days. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Is there any consensus as to what would be fair to ask for? I would love to get a bump to a new 1.5Ghz board, but I'm not sure if they'd do that. Considering what I've been through, if the have them in stock I think it would be fair. Any thoughts, though, would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

t.hill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 08:51 PM

I want something from Apple. They lied to me several times.

Apple told me my Powerbook was ready to ship on Friday, then they told me the same thing on Saturday, then they told me the same thing on Sunday. Well, it's monday and it still hasn't shipped.

So that makes 3 times that Apple lied to me. Bastards.

Rangers4me
Apr 27, 2004, 07:13 AM

Apple lies a lot! It is not the way to treat their loyal customer base.

vinster
Senior User
Apr 27, 2004, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by darkhawk64:
Hey Everyone-
Thanks for the replies. It's really good to hear that I'm not alone, and it's a bit disturbing too. I have been keeping records of who I talk to. I'm going to be sending it back in tomorrow for repeat service. I've been talking to Sheila, who was able to confirm that a change in MAC address would be a result of swapping motherboards. I know that when we get new boards at the shop here they always have stickers for new MAC addresses.
Actually, I had the logic board in my Pismo replaced in 2001 and it came back with the same electronic serial number and MAC ID.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 09:41 AM

I've had enormous problems with AppleCare, but in France not the US. They basically would fix one problem and introduce others.

Also, they frequently send machines back saying that they can't see the problem, even when the problem is completely obvious.

My advice: keep insisting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules