Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I Want My Tiger!!

I Want My Tiger!!
dotpage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 02:06 PM

It's OUTRAGEOUS!! I finally riched 100% switch rate from PC to Mac in my house and work, I did this at a cerain cost, but it was all in the philosophy of Intel and Microsoft where out to get us by the wallet, but apparently the game is changing now.

9 days ago I bought at the local Apple Store my first G5, an iMac 1.6Ghz, at the time of the purchase, I asked the sales guy when Tiger was comming, he told "not before the next WWDC", in June, so I went ahead and bought the iMac with Panther installed. For my surprise, yesterday Apple anounced Tiger's final release. I called Apple about the fact that my system is a BRAND NEW G5, and they are finally releasing a full 64bit OS to unleash the G5's full power, and they DENIED me to be included in the Upgrade Program, they say it's only for the computers bought AFTER the anouncement.

Now, here is what Apple's website states:

"Price protection
If Apple reduces the price on any product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you can request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment. To request a refund, just fill out the form below.

Upgrade protection
We will fulfill your order with the most current version available at shipment time. If the current version changes between the time you place your order and we ship it, you will be asked via email to confirm your order. If you have a question about upgrade protection for an item in your order, please fill out the form below."

The CSR at Apple told me I would have to BUY Tiger for 129,00 if I want to upgrade, and that was the end of it.

I believe that is unfair. If you have an Athlon 64 and a Windows XP Pro license, Microsoft will gladly replace your license with a Wndos XP Pro 64BIT edition, at NO COST.

Now, who's the bad guy now?

Altough Panther can run 64Bit APPS, the very core is 32bit, so I paid 1300 bucks for a machine to use half of it? Apple tells me that that is it...

I'm seriously thinking of going back to WINTEL, at least MS is honest enough to replace their OS for those who have a 64bit PC.

Jan Van Boghout
Apr 14, 2005, 02:19 PM

Tiger isn't fully 64 bit at all. The reason MS probably does this is because the 32-bit Windows simply doesn't run on 64-bit CPUs (and vice versa). I'm not saying the grace period for newly announced OS releases isn't a tad short, but Apple really has to draw the line somewhere. Most everything in Tiger is still 32-bit, it just has 64-bit capabilities for those apps that actively add it.

PROhan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 04:19 PM

x86 64bit chips run just fine on 32bit windows and are usually better at running 32bit code than 32bit only cpus
( Last edited by PROhan; Apr 14, 2005 at 04:32 PM. )

bobx2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 04:30 PM

i can see a high number of seeds for tiger when someone torrents it.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 04:53 PM

It has been known for some time now that Apple would be releasing Tiger the first half of 2005. There was never a definite date for release until the day of the actual announcement. The Apple Store employee would not have known when it would be released and should have never even indicated that he knew when it was supposed to happen.

If you feel that strongly about it you should go talk to the person that sold the system to you or ask to speak with their manager. Be polite but firm in letting them know you are not satisfied. Tell them you did ask and where told that Tiger would not be released before early June.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2005, 10:51 AM

I feel you anger, and I don't agree with Apple's Update politics.

On the other hand, it has been known for quite a while that Tiger is going to be released in April.
The guy in the Apple Store should be fired, and you could have easily known if you read MacNN on a regular basis.

-t

kikkoman
Senior User
Apr 16, 2005, 08:31 AM

Sorry but no one ever promised you would get for free Tiger when your purchased you iMac. Never make any assumptions about get anything unless there is an official announcement by Apple. Threads like these always pop up when ever Apple releases anything new, "I bought xxxx ago and Apple released xxxx a day latter. Apple screwed me."

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 02:51 AM

I bought an iMac and Apple released Tiger not even 7 years later. My machine isn't even supported. Apple screwed me. They could at least give us 3DFX drivers for Voodoo II cards on Panther.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2005, 07:45 AM

Apple up to date program says..

If you purchased a new Mac on or after April 12th, 2005, that did not include Tiger, you can upgrade for just the cost of the media.

Its all on the website for all to see. Now whats outrageous about that? Besides, it's not like 10.3 is crap. Far from it, it's very good. 10.4 is much the same, just with added bloatware. Don't fall for all the hype and fool yourself into thinking you need to have it.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2005, 03:00 PM

yup... i got tiger running on my pb and it's alot of bloatware. running the system after just a restart and checkin my ram usage shows me that 400mb is being used for just the system to start running. no wonder apple is changing the ram ammount in some systems. 256 was bad for panther, it looks like it's going to be horrible for tiger, dashboard alone takes about 100mb (if you have a crap load of widgets up). other than spotlight, i don't see any improvements in tiger...oh well.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Apr 18, 2005, 06:29 PM

Bloatware? I was amazed when I saw the demo of Spotlight because it was designed for those of us who have too many files in several places. Admit it, searching in the Finder is a daunting task and hardly what I would call convenient. Smart folders are especially going to help manage my workflow.
If Panther works for you keep it; if not upgrade. Core Graphics will someday be important for those lazy game developers.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2005, 05:49 PM

Try submitting your Mac for the $10 Up-to-date program anyway. Often they don't check the date.

tooki

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell
Bloatware? I was amazed when I saw the demo of Spotlight because it was designed for those of us who have too many files in several places. Admit it, searching in the Finder is a daunting task and hardly what I would call convenient. Smart folders are especially going to help manage my workflow.
If Panther works for you keep it; if not upgrade. Core Graphics will someday be important for those lazy game developers.
Sure Spotlight is good.. Dashboard is cool. But really, beyond that, most people will be hard pressed to tell the difference from 10.3
Dont get me wrong, 10.4 isnt bad at all, but im not concinced it lives up to all the hype its been getting. Those sticking to 10.3 are not missing that much.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules