Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Small Siro Modification

Small Siro Modification
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 04:13 PM

I modified Siro to make the push buttons match the rest of the theme.

Before the mod.

After the mod.

EDIT: Don't ask me for the theme. I do NOT have permission from DSKY. Thank you.
( Last edited by TheSpaz; Sep 27, 2005 at 08:28 PM. )

neo_2510
Sep 27, 2005, 04:21 PM

Hi,

This is excellent. I would like to get it and if you want you can mail me at moods2510 at mac.com

Thanks

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 04:59 PM

DSKY doesn't allow mods....why are you offering to distribute publicly?

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 27, 2005, 07:23 PM

Yeah you should ask the original author before offering it out you know.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 08:27 PM

Yeah... I don't know how to speak that language... so I'm not going to go ask the author.

Secondly. I did NOT hoast a download for it. That's why I asked if anyone wanted me to.

Thirdly. What is DSKY going to do? Sue me?

Fourthly. Why should everyone else miss out on this. I feel the theme needed this to match better.

Fithly. I'm NOT (I repeat) NOT distributing this theme to ANYONE. Go ahead... open ThemePark and modify your version of Siro if you want.

Sixthly. Have a nice day.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 27, 2005, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
Yeah... I don't know how to speak that language... so I'm not going to go ask the author.
Maybe he can speak yours?
Secondly. I did NOT hoast a download for it. That's why I asked if anyone wanted me to.
You were asking if anyone wanted it. Same outcome.
Thirdly. What is DSKY going to do? Sue me?
Probably not, but it's just out of respect.
Fourthly. Why should everyone else miss out on this. I feel the theme needed this to match better.
That is why you ask. I am sure he wont mind.
Fithly. I'm NOT (I repeat) NOT distributing this theme to ANYONE. Go ahead... open ThemePark and modify your version of Siro if you want.
Ah you've edited your original post. You asked anyone if they wanted it. Not if you should offer it.

I want one of them backward pedaling bikes.

But non-the-less, It's great that you are asking permission now.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2005, 12:08 PM

Yeah... Thanks for the screenz. That really is enough for me. LOVE the update to this theme.

R

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 02:41 PM

Could you please give me the resource pics for the modded button? That way I can change it myself, like the siro itunes mod from a while back.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2005, 11:28 PM

I emailed DSKY... hopefully he'll respond. Until then... I won't give the theme away. Sorry.

DSKY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 12:54 AM

I emailed DSKY... hopefully he'll respond. Until then... I won't give the theme away. Sorry.
Thank you for e-mail.

Sorry, I don't hope the modified theme is distributed widely on the web.
If there are those who want the theme,
please use mail etc.

(I'm not good at English.)

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 07:27 AM

hmmm, that looks suspiciously like a fake username just created by someone wanting to distribute the theme... or is it just me?

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 08:00 AM

I think thats Daisuke as it's what he has posted on other forums regarding the same topic......

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 08:45 AM

If he has posted in other threads about this... then why is his sign up date September 2005 and why does he only have 1 post count.

Hmm... Suspicious.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 08:46 AM

If you read the profile... the join date is 9-29-05. That's today.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 09:24 AM

If he has posted in other threads about this... then why is his sign up date September 2005 and why does he only have 1 post count.

Hmm... Suspicious.
digitaljames said other forums. Not threads...

That said, still kinda suspicious, but who knows?

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 10:13 AM

So if that's true... I "can" email the theme to people requesting it... I just can't put it up for download?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 10:18 AM

So if that's true... I "can" email the theme to people requesting it... I just can't put it up for download?
Technically, you could do whatever the hell you wanted. Ethically, if someone requests that mods to their work not be released, emailing them to people is as bad as openly distributing it.

Do that and I would think the entire theming community would look down on you and many wouldn't offer much in the way of future help.

If you were smart, you wouldn't have created an entire thread but I guess you wanted to show off. You should have put pics in the desktop thread (and also at macthemes's mod forum, and Xiap) and if a person here or there emailed you, you could decide to offer it to them or not, all kept quiet.

Guess there's pluses and minuses to ego gratification.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 10:46 AM

Can I just say what I already asked for by requesting the graphic and not the theme so I can mod it myself?

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Technically, you could do whatever the hell you wanted. Ethically, if someone requests that mods to their work not be released, emailing them to people is as bad as openly distributing it.

Do that and I would think the entire theming community would look down on you and many wouldn't offer much in the way of future help.

If you were smart, you wouldn't have created an entire thread but I guess you wanted to show off. You should have put pics in the desktop thread (and also at macthemes's mod forum, and Xiap) and if a person here or there emailed you, you could decide to offer it to them or not, all kept quiet.

I wasn't looking to show off. I just thought I'd share what I've done with others. Why should I be the only one who uses the theme this way?

Also, I think you may have missed that DSKY said: "If there are those who want the theme,
please use mail etc." So therefore I DO have permisson to distribute the theme... just not widely.

Also, I don't care if people look down upon me... I do what I want and I don't care enough about the theming community to be hurt by the fact that somewhere there are people on a small portion of the internet that doesn't like me. Boo hoo.

That being said... I also respect the themers who make great themes... and I didn't put the theme anywhere for download. As far as I know, I'm the only one using my mod....

Anyways... I don't care if you don't like me Randman... cause quite frankly, I think you're an idiot, but that's just my opinion.

Cheers!

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 02:04 PM

there is always the option that some of the Frankenthemer's use . . . you post a screenie of the completed MOD in the screenshots thread and state that it's NFR . . . people will see the changes and give you the credit you deserve. Personally, I like the update you did - of course, tweeking something that is near perfection anyways... well really - just kidding...

and as for DSKYs entry here - he doesn't post because he catches loads of stoopid critizism for his English - which - he apologizes for nearly every post he enters - so I can hardly blame him for not posting.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 02:29 PM

TheSpaz, I'm full of admiration for your spirit of sharing. I guess I have the same "urge" whenever I have something cooking, and I don't consider it showing off per se.
But I'm all with Randman and eyevaan about not creating a separate thread for it. Do consider showing us a full screenshot of your mod in the Screenshot thread. You'll get the same response, evidently people asking for a piece of it, but also - last but not least - add some (or a lot of) interest in the Screenshot thread.
Keep up the good work !

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gerrit Vanoppen
TheSpaz, I'm full of admiration for your spirit of sharing. I guess I have the same "urge" whenever I have something cooking, and I don't consider it showing off per se.
But I'm all with Randman and eyevaan about not creating a separate thread for it. Do consider showing us a full screenshot of your mod in the Screenshot thread. You'll get the same response, evidently people asking for a piece of it, but also - last but not least - add some (or a lot of) interest in the Screenshot thread.
Keep up the good work !
You're probably right... I don't really participate in the screenshot thread often... maybe it's because it's so long... I don't have time to read everything... and I usually have boring desktops anyways.

I guess it's kinda dumb that I made an entire thread for this minor mod. Sorry about that....

... Maybe we could start a "Mod's Only" thread sort of like MacThemes.net.

Hmmmm.... *ponders*

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 29, 2005, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by DSKY
Thank you for e-mail.

Sorry, I don't hope the modified theme is distributed widely on the web.
If there are those who want the theme,
please use mail etc.

(I'm not good at English.)
That is generous of you.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2005, 10:53 PM

that's exactly how dsky writes in english. using translation tools online or via dashboard.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

neo_2510
Sep 30, 2005, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Randman

Well I just want to say one more thing about the whole desktop show off...To be honest I don't like it if people are showing a cool theme which was modified or done by them and telling people "I show it but I will never release it to the public!!!" So what the f*** is this? If you have something you will never share with others, don't post it. Keep it for yourself and shut up!
Well that's my opinion. If are you are working on something you will release, it's fine to show it, but otherwise don't do it!!!

-T

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2005, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by neo_2510
Well I just want to say one more thing about the whole desktop show off...To be honest I don't like it if people are showing a cool theme which was modified or done by them and telling people "I show it but I will never release it to the public!!!" So what the f*** is this? If you have something you will never share with others, don't post it. Keep it for yourself and shut up!
Well that's my opinion. If are you are working on something you will release, it's fine to show it, but otherwise don't do it!!!

-T
Whining is unbecoming.....no one is under any obligation to share anything shown in their desktop shot. If you see something you want, but can't have, make it yourself. They are meant to inspire others creativity so take it that way.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2005, 10:45 AM

It wasn't a hard mod to do... if anyone wants to just do it themselves they can just copy the resources directly from the Siro theme and fit them into the Push Buttons. Easy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules