Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Keynote 3 + MBP = wow

Keynote 3 + MBP = wow
SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2006, 12:33 AM

I've already mentioned the nice speed increase in Keynote on the MacBook Pro.

But for those of us living with our machines for presentations, there is one really nice feature I had missed about the combination of Keynote with the new Apple laptops -- the built-in remote.

No more clunky usb Keyspan receiver and remote, which ate up the batteries in no time. Apple has programmed the simple, 6 button remote to be able to move between slides on a keynote presentation. It's very cool and seems to work great.

Just another bonus feature of purchasing a machine where the hardware and software work well together.

Yawn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2006, 03:41 AM

I'm getting a new MBP/2.0 to replace my 1.67GHz PowerBook G4. I still have Keynote 2. Could you comment on performance of Keynote 2 (via Rosetta) vs. Keynote 3 (UB) on the MBP? I assume it will make sense to get the UB version, but how much performance increase can I expect?

cambro
Senior User
Mar 21, 2006, 09:30 AM

Dude, iWork '06 is $79...$49 for education.

If you use Keynote on even a semi-regular basis, it is definitely worth the price of admission to upgrade.

I've been very pleased with Keynote 3 on my 1.83 MBP. However, the stock 512 is KILLING me! Hopefully once I drop in the 1 Gig stick this weekend things will improve. Also, I've had Keynote tank on me more frequently than I'd like lately...but I think this could be related to massive page ins/outs?

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 10:14 AM

For those of you using the remote, what kind of range do you get? Since it's IR, it's probably limited by line of sight. I'm curious because I often give seminars where my PB is back in a sound booth a good 40-50 feet away from me, so I'll probably still need my RF remote.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

SEkker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by cambro

I've been very pleased with Keynote 3 on my 1.83 MBP. However, the stock 512 is KILLING me! Hopefully once I drop in the 1 Gig stick this weekend things will improve. Also, I've had Keynote tank on me more frequently than I'd like lately...but I think this could be related to massive page ins/outs?
The only crashes I've experienced have been trying to convert some complex powerpoint documents. Get the extra RAM.

cambro
Senior User
Mar 21, 2006, 12:26 PM

On a related topic...

I just gave my first full lecture with my new MBP and had image shifting problems on the projector! I never had that with the old Ti at all on the same set up.

Basically, the projected image was clipped at the top and the clipping appeared on the bottom of the projected image! I fixed it, but I'm not really sure how since I was doing all sorts of things in a hurry and the first round did nothing.

Not sure if this is a MBP issue or a just unlucky day issue...

EDIT:: REMOTE...I was disappointed. There was a noticeable delay on click...perhaps the HD was spinning down, perhaps it's just slow. Overall, I found the USB RF remote I used previously to be better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules