Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > screen-keyboard marks on MBP??

screen-keyboard marks on MBP??
cambro
Senior User
Mar 24, 2006, 10:04 AM

I carried around a TiBook with a piece of paper under the lid for 3 years to avoid the nasty keyboard marks on the screen. I was looking forward to ditching the paper with a new MBP.

So, I open my week-old 1.83 MBP in a coffee shop by a window, and in the glare of the light what do I see??? KEYBOARD MARKS right in the middle of the screen. Two faint verticle, two stronger horizontal, both clearly marking the outlline of two keys.

I thought that the keyboard-screen problem was fixed long ago?! Any other MBP owners owners have this problem?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 10:12 AM

Never blindly assume Apple will learn from its past mistakes. Trust, but verify.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 10:59 AM

Keyboard marks? wow, that is surprising. I thought those were long gone also. I haven't heard a lot about this issue with the MBP's-is it possible you have a defective keyboard?

cambro  (op)
Senior User
Mar 24, 2006, 11:13 AM

The keyboard seems great to me...flat, handles very beautifully. Nicest keyboard I've ever used really.

I think the issue is screen flexure. My MBP has a pretty large "gap" at the front right and left edges when the screen is closed and grabbing it by the edge to put it in a bag or something warps the screen a tad.

Maybe this the cause?

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2006, 11:50 AM

I still use the thin protective sheet that shipped with my MBP. Won't close the lid without it. My Dell weilding co-workers laugh at me, but they are just jealous. They sure want to come around a lot and play with Photobooth, Garageband, and many other apps I have.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 12:33 PM

I've been dragging my MBP2.0 to work for a few weeks. At first i used the plastic it shipped with, then left it out. Nothing in there for the last week or two, carrying it in my11" iBook's bag, a Willow. Tight fit, no marks.

JasonPro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2006, 04:47 PM

No marks on mine either. I've had mine for just about a month now and have carried it to and from work every day. I also used a protective cover with my Tibook (and still managed to get keyboard marks on my screen despite it). I haven't used anything with the MBP and I can't see any sign of them so far. The MBP is also a tight fit in my case as well... the extra .4 inches apparently does make a diff. The screen seems to stay healthily separated from the keyboard though. There are 4 small rubber pads that I think are responsible for this. Two are along the upper edge right by the latches and the other two are along the sides of the screen near the top/front. HTH.

--
Jason

PurpleRabbit73
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2006, 05:39 PM

Wait, does this stuff stay on for a long time, or can you just wipe it off with a damp cloth(I have never had these marks on my 2.5 year-old powerbook). If it is the second optionn, I fail to see what's to complain about. WASH YOUR HANDS

cambro  (op)
Senior User
Mar 24, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleRabbit73
I fail to see what's to complain about. WASH YOUR HANDS
This issue was discussed at length with Ti's and it was reportedly fixed with the Alu PBs. I wouldn't post about dirt and dust on my screen...

What is at issue is physical scuffing of the screen by the keyboard that cannot be removed by cleaning...screen or hands.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2006, 06:44 PM

When was it reportedly fixed with the AlBooks? I don't think that could ever have been claimed otherwise there wouldn't have been all the posts over the past few years about it occurring on the AlBooks.

Edit: I should read more thoroughly - you still could/can get grease transfer to the screen on the AlBooks, but I haven't heard of any permanent screen damage through scratching.

bpd115
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2006, 12:22 PM

My replacement MBP should be here Monday. Didn't have this issue with my 12" Powerbook but I went ahead and ordered a protector from Radtech.us.....not because I fear it will be a problem but I love the optix material and the black one with the X logo is just cooler than a piece of paper

yticolev
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by cambro
This issue was discussed at length with Ti's and it was reportedly fixed with the Alu PBs. I wouldn't post about dirt and dust on my screen...

What is at issue is physical scuffing of the screen by the keyboard that cannot be removed by cleaning...screen or hands.
My original Al 1.25 keys do touch the screen. But I believe they only do it when the case is flexed as it is not major the way my Titanium was. I always used a sheet of paper with it but not with my Al.

schalliol
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 10:39 AM

Bringing up an old post. I didn't originally see them on my unit, but they are very clear now. What is people's preference for a cover? I've mainly seen the marware kit, but I don't want the wrist wrest too.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

rme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by schalliol
Bringing up an old post. I didn't originally see them on my unit, but they are very clear now. What is people's preference for a cover? I've mainly seen the marware kit, but I don't want the wrist wrest too.
I just bought a screen protector for my 1.83 MBP from ShaggyMac.com. It can also be used as a screen cleaner.

The protector fits nice and snug when the Macbook is closed. It's an ideal replacement for the thin piece of material that shipped with the MBP. I'd recommend it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2006, 02:51 AM

What about using the 'screen protector' thingy included in the MBP box? It's cheap and it's flimsy, but it'll probably do the job just as good any $20 super duper micro nano whatever cloth.

schalliol
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 07:25 AM

Thanks guys, after looking around, I think I'll go with the one from Radtech. Hopefully the marks will go away after some cleaning and the use of the protector.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Links
Forum Rules