Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Gaps gaps gaps!!!!

Gaps gaps gaps!!!!
n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2006, 01:35 AM

Is this an isolated case? The gap is SO obvious and ugly when the screen is shut.

http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img33440nu.jpg
http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img33496wb.jpg

The right side is like this too, but nearly as bad. But still obvious. Should I return this for a new one or what? There a way to fix this? I'm saddened by this.

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2006, 02:02 AM

Might be a problem with your latch...
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

KTM525
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2006, 02:14 AM

It`s the same with mine.
Right side isn`t so bad but the left has a bigger gap.
I don`t think it`s that bad though although I would like to know if others are like that aswell.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Apr 2, 2006, 02:25 AM

The gray plastic around the edge seems like its coming off in the middle also.

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2006, 04:20 AM

I did some investigating and found that the plastic rim on the left side is somewhat lifted near the express card slot. It's quite an eye soar. I'm wondering if it has anything w/ the extra heat output in that area distorting the plastic.

Edit: Decided to lossen the screws on the side of the computer and retighten it and it did the trick. Lossen it enough so it's almost out of the screw slot and have a friend pinch each side firmly to close the gap while you carefully screw back on tightly. Becareful not to stripe the screw. It closed about 75% of the gap and i'm quite happy w/ the results.
( Last edited by n8236; Apr 2, 2006 at 06:57 AM. )

cambro
Senior User
Apr 2, 2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Grande
The gray plastic around the edge seems like its coming off in the middle also.
Originally Posted by n8236
The gap is SO obvious and ugly when the screen is shut.
My 1.83 shipped early March has the exact same problems.

Both are extremely annoying. Because of the screen gap, the screen flexes when shut and therefore f***ing keyboard marks are on the screen. The gap around the plastic rim flexes when pushed on so the rather large gap on the left side flexes slightly with wrist weight.

Very disappointing flaws that are not just cosmetic. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the machine.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 10:49 AM

Is this an isolated case? The gap is SO obvious and ugly when the screen is shut.

The right side is like this too, but nearly as bad. But still obvious. Should I return this for a new one or what? There a way to fix this? I'm saddened by this.
You should try to take it back--you have a defective one. A small degree of warping is a manufacturing variation but yours appears to be more extreme than that. If you got it at an Apple store, call them up and try to speak with the manager. The person who answers the phone will likely tell you that they don't take computers back for "cosmetic damage". You must insist it came out of the box that way, and that you want a replacement. Be polite on the phone but be firm with them.

I got a Powerbook from the Apple store several months ago and when I pulled it out of the box it was covered with scratches. Talk about a letdown! As stated above, they were resistant at first because they believe you shouldn't be concerned with blemishes on a $2,000-$3,000 machine. However, I think when they realized I was asking for an exchange and not a refund they became more "flexible".

Next time I buy a computer from Apple, I'm thinking about opening it right there in the store before I leave.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 01:24 PM

Just take it back to Apple.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 2, 2006, 01:42 PM

I had the same problem but was able to fix it. You can quite easily bend the lid back into shape.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2006, 10:58 PM

The pictures I posted are a little exaggerated since I had the MBP vertical which made the gap look bigger han it was suppose to, but both edges are certainly not flat to the system. The gaps there are tolerable, but it's just annoying. Wish Apple would of made the hinges on the edges instead, but o well.

For the most part it's ok now since I fixed the other gap where the plastic rim was coming up on the system itself. That one was a nasty one because it just left an opening for moisture, dust, and such to get into the electronics itself. I was able to fit two pieces of post-its into it, that's how large the gap was. A couple more screws in that area holding the plate down wouldn't of hurt either.

With that in order, do any of you have the lid gap? Mine is pretty obvious. That probably wouldn't be enough to warrant a return to Apple lol.

ChillyWilly5280
Apr 3, 2006, 02:20 AM

Ive had the same problem on my Powerbook in the past, they were even worse because they only had one damn latch, atleast the MBP's have 2, spaced apart. Apple will gladly take it back, as it is a defect in the warping, from what ive heard, theyd rather have that happen and replace the framing, rather then replace a screen because it became so twisted.

Alexey (rus)
Apr 3, 2006, 11:45 AM

my 2.0 was like that when it first shipped. I took it back, exchanged it with apple online, (bought from store) and they imediately sent me another one within 4 days. I didnt stand for that. If im spending 2k on a machine, it's gotta be perfect. the Genius also said it was warped and that it was eligible for a return/replacement.

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by skagen
my 2.0 was like that when it first shipped. I took it back, exchanged it with apple online, (bought from store) and they imediately sent me another one within 4 days. I didnt stand for that. If im spending 2k on a machine, it's gotta be perfect. the Genius also said it was warped and that it was eligible for a return/replacement.
that excites me, my MBP is the same way maybe i should take it to the store and get it checked out and see if they'll replace it (besides that i have a dead pixel) i've had the MBP for a little under a month.

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by skagen
Hmmm....i just checked out another MBP (my cousin's who lives next door) and the gap on her machine is a lot more reasonable compard to mine. The main reason why I'm hesitating to return it is because of the turn-around time it is going to take. I bought my machine from Apple's site. Can I have it returned to an Apple store and get one there on the spot? lol

Alexey (rus)
Apr 4, 2006, 12:20 PM

No, you can't return it to the store and get another one. I bought mine from the sit as well. Turn around tiime is actually very fast as you go to the first of the line to get yours built. They sent me a shipping label, i sent it back that day, got a replacement number, and in 4 days, (returned on thursday - recieved new one IN HANDS on monday). Needless to say, apples customer service is pretty good. Even got 50 bucks off.

cambro
Senior User
Apr 4, 2006, 03:58 PM

So what is the deal with returns on a warped screen as the OP pointed out?? Are these actually defective and being replaced?

My 1.83 has gaps on both left and right edges of the screen when closed.

They are approx. 1.2 mm wide at maximum on sides. If I get down and look through the gap on the front sides, I can acually see out the back!

Alexey (rus)
Apr 4, 2006, 04:08 PM

The genius told me that it was the top panel (monitor panel) had warping and that it was perhaps due to transit or QA issues with Apple, but none the less, eligible for return and replacement. I speak from experience so i can verify that. I got a replacement, not only that, but it was a W8613!, which currently has no whine and not too hot either

MBP 2.0 CTO

zombie67
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 12:27 AM

I may just live with it if i had not seen this thread! I notice my MBP have the same problem. little by little, i can't live with it any more. However, one genius told me it is normal, big deal! another genius feel sorry about it, buy he can't exchange it because i bought it from amazon. So, i called amazon, they scheduled a ups pick for exchange within minutes.

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2006, 01:52 AM

Hmm...i've had my mbp for over a week now, will they take it back? o.O
I was able to fix most of the gaps by just lossening, aligning, and retightening the screws. But the gap is still persistent, perhaps I will tkae the time to get a new one.

It's still an eye sore given I paid so much for this machine,but i'm afraid to get another one w/ more problems hahaha. As for the heat issue, not sure if Apple has really changed their circuit boards, some suggest it's rumors. If it's true that the whine/gap/heat issues are being dealt with, i'd be more than glad to get an exchange.

cambro
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 10:22 AM

I absolutely can't exchange my machine right now because I depend on it and will need it for the next three weeks. Surely this won't matter though, right? It's still under AC.

Also, the machine is perfect in every other way except for the gaps so I do worry about exchanging for another set of larger problems!

Is there any reason to suspect that over time the gap issue could pose more problems?

zombie67
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 02:15 PM

Yes, it was trouble for me to make sure move one week of work back to my old machines. I also have an iBook, DELL m600 and HP xb2000. It is just not right since all my other notbooks can be closed nicely!!!

Other then this issue, I really love this machine.

kitcho
Apr 5, 2006, 03:12 PM

my 15inch powerbook has this problem. though not very noticable, it is there (on the right side). i tried bending my display a bit but im not gonna go overboard. didnt really even bother me till i saw this thread haha.

o well

scauntay
Apr 5, 2006, 08:13 PM

there is these little sticky gum dot things that you can put on the corners around the screen that will make it sit evenly and will make it less likely to have the keys hit the screen. if i come across a link ill post em.

JCT
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by scauntay
there is these little sticky gum dot things that you can put on the corners around the screen that will make it sit evenly and will make it less likely to have the keys hit the screen. if i come across a link ill post em.
They're called Wildeepz (go figure) .. http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

Mitsucreep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2006, 11:56 PM

My 1.83 had a huge gap similar to the one in the picture. The MacGenius (I would more or less call him a MacIdiot) looked at it for a second and forcefully bent it back into place. Something I would have never done to my machine. It is more flush now, but not perfect by any means.

When I got home that night I noticed two pixel anomalies that I didn't notice before. I took it back into the Apple Store and he said he wanted to look at it with his magnifying glass. Fifteen minutes later he returns and says he only counted three pixels and it didn't qualify for service. I told him there was no way there is only three pixels involved and that I either wanted the unit exchanged or the screen replaced. He said he would send it to depot with no guarantee they will do anything about it. Needless to say I am very frusterated because I have had nothing but screen problems with every single Apple portable I have owned excluding my old Duo 280c which was flawless. We'll see ...

zombie67
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 02:57 PM

My MBP picked up by UPS yesterday. Looks like I have to wait at least 1 week to get a replacement!!! With the new bootcamp and VM solutions I have been waiting for...

Forum Links
Forum Rules