Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What's this Windows XP?

What's this Windows XP?
SamGrinter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2001, 10:23 PM

A short story:

A few days ago I told someone at my work that I was going to buy a Powerbook G4 (the low-end model at revision). He's really nice (and smart) but I knew he was a pee-cee user. Eventualy, he asked me "why are you going with the macs anyway?" I told him that I "like their new operating system, MacOS." He mentioned Windows XP and gave me some sales so I decided to check it out because I want to choose the MacOS because I'm disatisfied with Windows (with which I'm not very familiar) and I wanted to be open-minded.

Allors, today I went to Microsoft.com. It is the biggest rip-off of MacOS. It features a new "easy-to-use" interface, Luna (original name, eh?) and "new stability features based on Windows 2000." The interface seems to be the same except that it features the color "blue." In addition Microsoft is offering features that are complete rip-offs of iTunes and iMovie. Now if it isn't obvious to you that Windows XP is not Windows X-player watch the "sneak peek at Windows XP preview" from Seattle on WebCast. The presentation is a complete copy of Steve Jobs'. The presenter even wore a similar black outfit!

I have to tell you, for the past few months I have felt a growing need to check out the world of Windows. When I was first beginning to use Macintosh I was still sore from the whole deal with Windows 93 and the coping of features. I really didn't realise until today that Microsoft actually feals so threatened by Apple that it still has to copy and steal every potential marketing technique or potential success. I never really new that this was still going on. I feal shamed that I doubted the MacOS for an instant. Think different! Sic semper tyrannus!

-Sam

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2001, 07:14 AM

I believe you mean to say, "Apple's new operating system, OS X", rather than "Mac OS"?

I really didn't realise until today that Microsoft actually feals so threatened by Apple that it still has to copy and steal every potential marketing technique or potential success.
M$ is as threatened of Apple as an elephant is threatened of a gnat. No, M$ doesn't steal from Apple because of fear, they steal from Apple because of a paucity of creative ideas. M$ is a design by committee corporation, they do not foster creativity nor do they nurture creative thought within their corporate confines. Windows is about giant committees creating reams of feature set lists for programmers to check off as they are completed. It's not about creating an integrated package, it's about slopping together an OS bloated with enough features to please everyone, all of the time. It's the complete antithesis to Apple's strategy of OS development.

[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Gregg
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 10:26 AM

Bill Gates' motto must be, "If you can't beat 'em, copy 'em."
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2001, 05:17 PM

XP is a good contender for OSX..........I hated saying that.

But its true, I've used XP and (although its a sin to look at) is very stable and quite snappy even on older systems.

But between XP and 9.....I'll take 9 anyday.

Multitasking Pfffft! Who needs it?

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules