Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > msn video conference on my macbook using windows via parallels?

msn video conference on my macbook using windows via parallels?
laurence000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 04:32 PM

Hi, I'll receive my macbook during the next few days and I had a question about parallels.

I live 8000km from my family and I use msn video conference to communicate with my family very frequently. It makes us closer and it seems that the distance is not as big.

I know I can use ichat under mac osX via AIM or the new skype beta video conference to communicate from a mac to a pc, but my mom sucks at figuring things out so for me to teach her from a distance how to use AIM will be a pain....

My question is the following:
Can I use msn messenger on windows Xp on my mac book via parallels and will the video conference option work? Will windows recognize my built-in webcam? Will I be, without to many difficulties able to, otherwise install my logitech pro cam so windows recognize it?

Thank you so much for letting me know if msn video conference will work under windows on my macbook via parallels!!

Laurence!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2006, 06:39 PM

I am trying to grasp how hard AIM is to teach...no offense meant. And your mom may be a lot smarter than you're giving her credit for.

Anyway, I don't think anyone has managed to get the iSight camera to work properly under Windows whether using Parallels or Boot Camp. It's a driver issue.

Of course if I've missed something about this a number of people will chime in and point out just how wrong I was, but I haven't seen anything about it here.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:58 PM

The latest version of bootcamp supports isights now IIRC

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

laurence000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 03:30 AM

is it possible to instal a loigitech camera on windows unsing parallels. Is there a lot of drivers unrecognized? thanks

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2006, 10:21 AM

Why not simply sign up for AIM account.. it is free and you can use iChat. Im sure we have all seen some of apple's adverts and keynotes about iChat and video conferencing ... and it looks very nice and easy to set up.

I doubt it will be 'too' hard to explain how to set thing up at your parents home. There should also be well documented faq pages on how to do video conferencing on windows and mac.

I also looked into this since i have a mbp and msn didnt support a webcam...

best of luck!

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 01:56 PM

Parallels doesn't currently support the built-in iSight, and probably won't work with a USB webcam (although I haven't tried). So your only option is BootCamp, or as phoenix78 said, to use iChat with an AIM account.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

jamie48
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 10:07 AM

you could use this msn client app for mac that supports webcam use over the msn network……

http://www.mercury.to/

Forum Links
Forum Rules