Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Whither the power icon?

Whither the power icon?
mblase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2002, 11:35 AM

Notice that little circle with a vertical line through the top of it... kind of like this:<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier> _ | _
/ | \
| | |
\_____/
</font>[/code]You see it on the power button of all your PowerMacs, going back I'm not sure how many years. I've also noticed that other computer hardware today uses a very similar icon on their power buttons, changing it only by moving the vertical line down:<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier> _____
/ | \
| | |
\__|__/
</font>[/code]So I was wondering: can anyone remember when Apple began using their "power button" icon, or if there was ever a Mac that didn't use it? Is this icon an industry standard now? Did Apple "invent" it?

Not terribly important, but I'm terribly curious the more I wonder about it.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: mblase ]

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 16, 2002, 11:53 AM

Dells use the one with the line through the top of the circle. I dunno about other computer manafacuteres. IT might be a standard, maybe not.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2002, 12:01 PM

I think that sybol, both up and down, is used in a lot of places. I'm pretty sure it represents an open circuit (the circle) with a switch to close it (the line). And closing the circuit, turns the power on, so it's become the power button symbol.
-- SBS --

Jeff Binder
May 16, 2002, 12:49 PM

I have a UMAX SuperMac with the first of those symbols. My NEC monitor and my HP printer have it, too. It seems like a standard symbol.
self = [[JeffBinder alloc] init];

agentz
Mac Elite
May 16, 2002, 01:53 PM

I remember pre-iMac machines using the second version (with the line in the middle of the circle). For instance PowerMac 8xxx and 9xxx series machines had it on power button on the back of the machines. Maybe it was something they switched to with the iMac?
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

P
May 16, 2002, 02:28 PM

It's an I for on and an O for off, superimposed in two different ways. Two sides of the same coin, so to speak.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2002, 02:46 PM

I have a old Power Mac 7200 that has the 2nd one...all my new Mac stuff has the top one

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2002, 03:39 PM

I should have said this before...

That symbol is on my QuickSilver, my Viewsonic Monitor, my PC, my HP printer, and most of my friends' computer stuff. Seems to be a standard, but it only appears on computer equipment.
-- SBS --

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 16, 2002, 10:55 PM

My g4, cinema display, sony monitor, and lexmark printer have it.

Somebody set us up the bomb.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

iamnid
Senior User
May 16, 2002, 11:57 PM

Ok -- lots of macs use it -- so do lots of other electronics. As mentioned before, it represents an open and closed circuit -- it is an industry standard and was not invented by apple.

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 17, 2002, 10:47 AM

I heard that in the early days of electronics/computers when only supergeeks worked with them they used the term "initiate" instead of on to make it sound more technical. The symbol would then be a capital letter "i" with a circle around it. The other symbol was a capital "o" for off. The circuit idea does sound much more plausable though.

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: davidflas ]
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 17, 2002, 12:01 PM

If yu look for a while, you realize its origin: it's a sexual image!

That's right! Make life with a small phsyical motion!
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 17, 2002, 12:04 PM

Eeeeeewwwwww... you sicko.

It just means open circuit/closed circuit. Sometiems 0 and 1 are the values of power, etc, my older monitor has a 0 and a 1 on either side of the power button.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2002, 12:05 PM

Working as an engineer for an international company, I can tell you that it is a requirement of ISO-9002 that power switches have a '1' and a '0' to indicate on and off as this is pretty much understood by most people on earth.

The symbol is just a prettier way of displaying this while maintaining 'international' understanding.

Andrew

Forum Links
Forum Rules