Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Convert Centris 610 to Boombox?

Convert Centris 610 to Boombox?
angevine41
Jul 30, 2000, 06:33 PM

I wonder if this is a good idea, or not.

To get boombox-quality background music into my studio, I'd like to be able to use the gig or so of mp3 music files I've got on my G4, in an old, still-working Centris 610 somebody gave me.

It's got 7.6.1 installed, 36MB ram, processor is 68LC040, 20mhz. It has sound-out port.

If I got a 1 or 2 gig SCSI drive for it, and installed Soundjam, and some little powered speakers, would it work?

Again, not looking for great sound, just a way have many hours of randomly selected cuts played, and the ability to delete any cuts I get sick of.

MacOS761
Senior User
Jul 30, 2000, 11:44 PM

Sorry to rain on your parade, but playback of mp3's is fairly processor-intensive, and requires an FPU - something Centrises don't have. I can just barely squeak mp3 playback out of my 75 MHz PowerPC machine, so 20 MHz would not be fast enough even if there was an FPU (Floating Point [operations] Unit). If you convert your files to a different format, that could work, but then you run into quality vs. space issues. If you'd like to learn more, keep posting!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

angevine41  (op)
Jul 31, 2000, 09:27 AM

Aw, shucks, I KNEW it was too good to be true. And I browsed around lowendmac.com enough to figure out I didn't want to try any hardware upgrades.

I guess when I can afford to replace my other computer (Performa 6360), then IT would be a much better candidate for boombox....... (I recall seeing a flyer recently with refurbished 6360's for sale at $299; we paid $1300 for this one in '97.)

I love the organization/control of music-by-computer. I assume that digitized formats will soon be the norm, and that physical recordings will cease to exist, except as artifacts.....

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2000, 03:02 AM

THE MP3 jukebox based on a Mac - a 20th Anniversary Mac with a built-in Bose sound system and killer looks.

I popped an 18GB hard drive into one and now it has all my CDs encoded into it (minus the songs I would never listen to).

It runs SoundJam MP perfectly...

Maybe a bit of overkill, but it is oh so sweet..

drewman

MacOS761
Senior User
Aug 4, 2000, 10:57 AM

Where did you get one of those? &lt;drool&gt; My G4 works nicely, but those anniversary machines are SWEET!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2000, 03:19 AM

When i got the idea to use a TAM as an MP3 jukebox, I went to the TAM website: tam.axon.net

Lo and behold, someone from city was selling one with a bad hard drive! I went and saw it and bought it on the spot.

Very happy...

drewman

Forum Links
Forum Rules