Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MP3 Storage/Future Dilemma

MP3 Storage/Future Dilemma
angevine41
Sep 1, 2000, 09:48 AM

I've about maxxed out the (10g) HD on my G4, and need to transfer to SOME storage medium, to free up space for MORE MP3's.

But, here are the qualifiers:

1. The G4 isn't really mine; it's at the office. I haven't asked, but don't THINK it'd be wise to tinker with the innards.
2. The office is where the pretty fast T1 connection (for Macster) is.
3. Looking ahead to MP3-based music system, especially a portable one that can move from office to studio to car.
4. Many new MP3-CD players coming out this fall; this might be "easiest" way to play MP3 files.
5. But HD-based storage/play gives you a lot more options, especially if you get an IDE to USB case, and figure on x-number of medium-sized IDE HD's, because they're cheap and getting cheaper.
6. But, if you get a CD-burner, you have the MP3's stored on a relatively safe medium, to be done with later as needed; but an external CD-burner is relatively expensive.

So, what to do??

Guess I'm just thinking out loud, and wondering if others are equally quandered and would like to share thoughts.

Xaositect
Sep 1, 2000, 10:34 AM

I am waiting for the Nomad Jukebox from Creative Labs (try nomadworld.com for info). This may be your one item solution for mp3 files, but there is a lot to be said for biting the bullet and getting that CD burner.

angevine41  (op)
Sep 1, 2000, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the nomad link; that is exactly what I'm hoping/waiting for. Especially if it's "affordable," and assuming that I can interact with it via my mac.

But I'm curious about your bullet-biter. If I were going to get/use the nomad jukebox (or similar), then I be better of off-loading all those MP3 files to a HD, wouldn't I?

I can see two main reasons (in this MP3 context) for getting a CD burner: (1) permanent storage; (2) a "playable" format, using MP3 CD-player. But a nomad jukebox-like devise would negate (2).

I'm beginning to think I should covertly install an inexpensive IDE drive in the G4. Maybe a 15g Maxtor. From what I read, they go in pretty easily. And can be had for about $100.

For the cheapest way to skate, you understand........

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2000, 11:20 AM

The Nomad Jukebox looks cool, and I may get one as well, but it would be nice if they would release a firewire version. USB on a 6gig drive (it's 6 gig's right?), would take a while. USB only allows about 1MB sec so that would take almost 2 hours to transfer, where as a firewire version would only be limited to how fast the drive was in the player.
However, I haven't heard of any plans for a firewire version. (it would be nice if they would use both connections, for convenience.

angevine41  (op)
Sep 1, 2000, 11:44 AM

You have a good point about Firewire over USB connection.

I'm betting Jukebox will be over-priced. I went back to nomad site, and found that their Nomad II (a RIO-like device) is $400. Too much money for a dumb machine.

Cipher13
Sep 2, 2000, 11:37 PM

Go for a CD burner.
As stated before, you could put the mp3's on a CD-R or even RW and listen to them on an mp3 CD player - but you could also burn as actual audio CD's (orange book standard?), for use in normal CD players, such as your car CD player, and you would find yourself using it for backups and shuttling large amounts of data.
There are other things you can do that I won't go into, but overall it is a purchase well worth it.
Dunno what I'd do without mine
If I may suggest a burner, get a Yamaha 8824. I have the 8424 and its awesome.
Check out www.yamaha.com for more info.

Cipher13

bryh28
Sep 4, 2000, 10:53 AM

Have you seen this: http://www.request.com/overview.html
Bit expensive maybe.
Just a thought

angevine41  (op)
Sep 4, 2000, 02:19 PM

Bit expensive, yes, not to mention cumbersome, but I think they're going in the right direction.

Probably the best place to do research is at the mp3.com site. This should take you directly to the portable mp3 forum folder:
http://bboard.mp3.com/cgi-bin/mp3/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=55&SUBMIT= Go

Lots of reader input on the various players. The Nomad Jukebox is just out, to early birds, at around and above $500; people who have it seem (mostly) impressed, but I think it's WAY over-priced.

Back to CD burner, etc. I do think either yamaha or plextor sound best. And, it would seem that I should get an external, to keep the CD-Rom around for emergencies.

What I wish, now that I've discovered they exist for PC's, is that I could find an IDE to USB case that would accept BOTH IDE HD's AND IDE CD burners! Are they affordably out there for macs?

[This message has been edited by angevine41 (edited 09-04-2000).]

Xaositect
Sep 5, 2000, 01:31 PM

Sorry about being so long getting back, got hit by a drunk driver friday (ouch).

I like the Nomad for the 6GB storage, and I can probably up that to 12-18GB by replacing the HD (Being a tech, and loving to fiddle with such things). Also, they list Mac compatibility on the software and system links, nice to see these days. As for the download time, just plug the thing in while sleeping.

I still think that a CD burner is an attractive option. CD-based MP3 players are on the market, and more are sure to follow. Plus, the CD burner does data backups or transfers, or allows expansion of MP3 to actual audio tracks to play in a regular CD player. I just use mine so much, it's like a third arm (no more booting off several CD's to run NDD, TTP, NAV, DFA, and various other utilities).

Probably best to wait for a price on the Nomad Jukebox and make a decision then.

angevine41  (op)
Sep 6, 2000, 08:23 AM

Sorry to hear about your "accident"; hope you live somewhere where a drunk driver is dealt with severely.

Have decided to go ahead and get an external (USB) CD burner; as is usual, the decision about particular unit comes down to local availability. I live in a small town, and the ONLY locally burner I can find (that comes USB, w/ Toast) is a Que 4x4x8x. The little (mostly mac) store here assures me that I shouldn't have any problems with it, and that they will fully support, etc. The price ($250) is not out of line with other USB units I see online.

Had this experience last night at the Fry's in Sacramento, 2 hours away: Found a Yamaha USB whose box listed that it contained Toast, but the salesman said it didn't, that "Yamaha is just funny about putting things in generic boxes." (!) He said a few other things that were nonsensical, and so I thought: I don't want to deal with this megastore 2 hours away, staffed by incompetents; I'll buy from the little local guy who is 10 minutes away.

I do agree, as I said, that I think the HD-based MP3 players make the most sense........ I've begun to think: what about finding an old Powerbook, circa 1400 perhaps (how big a HD will they take?) to use for display/storage, and plug it into your nearest audio system.......

Have read that an RCA MP3 CD player is due out soon; Lenoxx has one out already, about $115. The HD-based units will probably gouge those who just HAVE to have the latest toys, then drop their prices to compete better w/ CD players. (And/or other HD-based units, from Lenoxx-like sources.)

Heck, I just gotta burn some CD's to free up HD space for more MP3's!

Xaositect
Sep 6, 2000, 10:25 AM

I'll be ok, just got this walking cast for the next 6 weeks...

Largest HD I've seen in a 1400 is 12GB, but that was the largest available at the time. 18-24GB should be doable with current tech. PB1400 uses standard 2.5" IDE HD, with about 16-18mm the largest I would go for cooling purposes, though a thicker one can be fit in.

A friend just got an Aiwa CD player, walkman size, that reads CD-R (not CD-RW) and does MP3 decode. The only other ones I've seen advertised were from Magnavox, but I'm not sure if they did MP3 decode. Oh, the Aiwa unit isn't US yet, Japan only for now, but supposedly due here before Christmas.

angevine41  (op)
Sep 7, 2000, 11:52 AM

Yeah, the MP3 CD players are just popping up all over....... The options/prices will probably change rapdily.......

Forum Links
Forum Rules